St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

baoithe

Great result for our boys today considering the number of important players we had missing. As I have said previously the size of our pool of players dictates that we cannot ship losses of so many key personnel. Todays result then is all the more sweeter and a credit to the lads.

I'd like to premise this footnote by stating that almost without exception I have little regard for conspiracy theories of any sort. Therefore I have always considered the long held view in our club that we have been discriminated against within the county set up in respect of player selection to be a little bitter. In the past our club have had some serious players but dedication or lack thereof was arguably at the root of their demise at intercounty level. However a few years ago I had a shift in my opinion when a fantastic minor from our club who had played all the way through the minor league was dropped from the match day panel altogether for the first (and only) game of the championship. Eamonn Cawleys performance for St Farnans today make his exclusion last weekend in London all the more remarkable. He is a rarity amongst Sligo forwards in that he can actually put the ball over the f*cking bar. I'm not saying he should be playing in the first fifteen but in my opinion he is the best of whatever substitutes are there for the full forward line. In fact I'd have him any day in front of McNamara who never been the great footballer many believe him to be. He simply doesn't put the work in and suffers from lapses in concentration far too often.
Anyway, maybe I'm biased but the simple fact of the matter is that he stood out today and was the best player on view.

magpie seanie

Firstly - apologies to Baoithe and the Farnans lads. I didn't see that coming at all. Well done on a great result. I'd have a lot of time for Eamonn Cawley as a player. A lot of people give him a rough time and I think its because when he was younger he used to hold on to the ball too much and eventually lose it. He's eradicated that from his game a long time ago though. Defo a valuable member of the Sligo squad.

Onto my clubs game. On Saturday our seniors had a good win against Bunninadden. Scored a goal from the throw in and although Bunninadden fought back well in the second half we saw it through. A couple of late scores possibly made the final score look a bit unfair on Bunninadden. Absolutely delighted to get over this game with so many injuries. Might have one or two back for next week against Easkey.

Curry beat us well in intermediate. We're very disappointed but can have no complaints. We made so many basic errors which let Curry in for scores it was unreal. Several lads didn't perform and the heads went down late on. Curry are quite good and it will take a good team to beat them on this form.

Good result for Ballymote, drawing with Tourlestrane. They are developing into quite a good outfit. Have very fast, dangerous forwards. Calry getting a draw against Tubber is a great result for Calry who have a decent championship record in recent years.

Teeling Gael

Farnans deserve pride of place this morning after a tremendous win over Johns. As said previously , didnt think Johns were going past the 1/4 finals this year but certainly expected them to beat Farnans. Strangley might do Johns the world of good and knock some of the complacency that is very apperant in their recent games out of them. Farnans are now looking at Drumcliff and Castleconnor as winnable games and a place in 1/4 finals is achievable. Ballymote showed their league form was a true reflection but Geevaghs succession of narrow wins in league matches caught up with them against a focused Shamrock Gaels team. Calrys recent improvement continued against Tubber and there is still nothing between both of those and Marys for the final spot. Harps and Coolera justified their favourism badges in the other section.

Both of the pre competition favourites in the intermediates are now in knock out games next weekend. If, as Sligonian has said that Martin feeney is away is correct and I have no reason to doubt it ,  then they are under serious pressure to beat Pats next weekend. Have said before that I dont agree with naming individual club intermediate players on websites and continue to believe that Sligonian. Would say however that in the last couple of years where St Mholaises have had excellent underage teams, that the profile of some players on their first team looks odd to me and that doesnt simply mean midfield either. No shame in being 2nd fiddle to Michaels midfield as they are particuliarily strong and judging on weekend will now fear no one in this competition. Enniscroine showed their fragility again on Sunday and with a few contentious matches over the last few years between themselves and Marys , there is no guarantee they wont be out of championship on Sunday evening next. Harps overwhelmed a very depleted Tourlestrane and must be beginning to see this competition open up for them. Coolaney had a facile win and if Curry beat Ballisodare on Sunday then the Ballisodare season is over before it has even started. With 3 teams rightly coming down , every team left in this competition sees it as their last chance for glory for many a long year so am expecting an unpredictable but exciting intermediate championship.

Westie

Didn't see the Farnans result coming either, I have to say but fair play to them.  
Marys have a lot to do to get out of their group now I think though I was suprised they got so close to Curry.  Good result from Ballymote but they need to carry it on, I have seen them give one good performance and then appear happy with that.
Harps had a bigger than expected win but Easkey were hit by injurie. Good result from our boys in the Park on Saturday.
Markievicz looked stunning on Sat.
What happened to Enniscrone on Sunday. Thought this year was going to be different myself also, despite what they say every year.  Remember 3 teams are coming down from senior this year.

The most crazy thing is this - it is 12 weeks to the 3rd round of the championship!!!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Teeling Gael on June 03, 2008, 12:39:13 PM
Farnans deserve pride of place this morning after a tremendous win over Johns. As said previously , didnt think Johns were going past the 1/4 finals this year but certainly expected them to beat Farnans. Strangley might do Johns the world of good and knock some of the complacency that is very apperant in their recent games out of them. Farnans are now looking at Drumcliff and Castleconnor as winnable games and a place in 1/4 finals is achievable. Ballymote showed their league form was a true reflection but Geevaghs succession of narrow wins in league matches caught up with them against a focused Shamrock Gaels team. Calrys recent improvement continued against Tubber and there is still nothing between both of those and Marys for the final spot. Harps and Coolera justified their favourism badges in the other section.

Both of the pre competition favourites in the intermediates are now in knock out games next weekend. If, as Sligonian has said that Martin feeney is away is correct and I have no reason to doubt it ,  then they are under serious pressure to beat Pats next weekend. Have said before that I dont agree with naming individual club intermediate players on websites and continue to believe that Sligonian. Would say however that in the last couple of years where St Mholaises have had excellent underage teams, that the profile of some players on their first team looks odd to me and that doesnt simply mean midfield either. No shame in being 2nd fiddle to Michaels midfield as they are particuliarily strong and judging on weekend will now fear no one in this competition. Enniscroine showed their fragility again on Sunday and with a few contentious matches over the last few years between themselves and Marys , there is no guarantee they wont be out of championship on Sunday evening next. Harps overwhelmed a very depleted Tourlestrane and must be beginning to see this competition open up for them. Coolaney had a facile win and if Curry beat Ballisodare on Sunday then the Ballisodare season is over before it has even started. With 3 teams rightly coming down , every team left in this competition sees it as their last chance for glory for many a long year so am expecting an unpredictable but exciting intermediate championship.

On martin feeney, hes a huge loss, am only going on what I was told by other club players and they should know, but hope his trip can be delayed because we need him badly. We are in serious trouble for the pats game...

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Owenmoresider

Will go along with much of what's been said. Kudos to Farnan's, Cloonacool and Michael's on their wins, all upsets to some degree. Shamrock Gaels did well against a poor Geevagh side, Shams have decent footballers to be fair, but are still outsiders to get through. Ballymote had Tour' beat until the sending-off disrupted all, how Haran only got two yellows for clocking three different players I do not know. As for O'Hara - disgraceful and doing his team no favours, a ref with some element of cojones would have shown red without question. Still fair play to the holders for salvaging a draw, will probably top the group still now. Calry got a good draw too, but tougher ties ahead. Tourlestrane's second string did something that even we in our darkest days didn't manage - fail to score! Harps will pose problems for the pack though, not too many to lose to senior, unlike other second teams (such as Tour did). Surely we must be able to get the necessary win off Tourlestrane this weekend, and thus avoid relegation into the bargain. A nice thought on an otherwise dark day for GAA in the county.

Mano

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 03, 2008, 11:54:18 PM
A nice thought on an otherwise dark day for GAA in the county.

Owenmoresider what do you mean by this comment?

stevo-08

Quote from: Westie on June 03, 2008, 01:02:16 PM

The most crazy thing is this - it is 12 weeks to the 3rd round of the championship!!!

Is the 3rd round not provisionally fixed for Aug 10th?

jjjshabadoojnr

Div 4 result from last Night. St.Michaels 2-17, St.Molaise Gaels 1-7.
St Michaels very strong with many of their Intermediate team playing.
We struggled to field (our intermediate manager made it known that anyone who was togged on sunday for Inter champ aginst St.Michaeals was to be at training last night and not go to the game - by the look of that result its more games and not training thats needed)and brought on a lad in the second half for his debut in a pair of tracksuit bottoms!!

Owenmoresider

Quote from: stevo-08 on June 04, 2008, 09:21:31 AM
Quote from: Westie on June 03, 2008, 01:02:16 PM

Is the 3rd round not provisionally fixed for Aug 10th?
Spot on.

Mano - check your PM.

Sligoper

Good Day people! Well here how i think things are going to go!

Senior:
Group A
Harps to beat Bunnies by 6 in the park! Bunnies are in disarray and championship is over for them.
Coolera to ease past Easkey to by 3 points, Easkey have McGuire back but that will not be enough.

Group B
Marys to make up for last week by beating Calry, but just about.
Curry to beat Tubber in the Park. Curry don't seem to lose these types of games and like to lose to more unlikely opposotion.

Group C
Johns will have to much for this Castleconnor team.
St Farnans buoyed by last weekends success to beat Drumcliffe, just.

Group D
Tourlestrane to make no mistake against the Shams
Ballymote to beat a tough Geevagh side, by the minimal.

Intermediate

Group A
Curry to sweep aside Ballisadare
Coolaney to knock aside Coolera

Group B
Cloonacool to beat Marys

Group C
Owenmore Gaels to anihalite a woeful Tourlestrane side

Group D
A tough one, especially with Maoilse missing feeney i think but i'll go with them to beat Pats, just.
Go on the Bunnies!

Sligoper

If my predictions do come true heres how things would look:

Group A
                pts
Harps         4
Coolera      4
Easkey       0
Bunnies      0

Group B
Curry          4
Marys          2
Tubber       1
Calry           0

Group C
St Farnans    4
CastleConnor 2
St Johns       2
Drumcliffe     0

Group D
Tourlestrane  3
Ballymote      3
Shams          2
Geevagh       0

Intermediate

Group A
Curry          4
Coolaney     4
Coolera       0
Ballysadare   0

Group B
Cloonacool   4
Enniscrone   0
Marys          0

Group C
Harps        2
Owenmr    2
Tour         0

Group D
Micheals     2
Maloise      2
Pats          0

In the senior competitions, Group A would be done and dusted, Group B Curry and one other out of Tubber and Marys which would make a great final game by the way. Group C would be Farnans which would be fantastic and prob Johns! Group D will be tight aswell with Tour, and Ballymote to escape/

In the Intermediate competitions, Group A Curry and Coolaney home and dry, Group B Cloonacool and Enniscrone to advance, Group C Harps and Owenmore Gaels and Group D, Well it could end all even so i really dont know! Ill say Micheals and Maolise Gaels!
Go on the Bunnies!

Owenmoresider

Sligoper, i'd gladly take a narrow win over tour, never mind an annihilation. Just get the result, into the quarters and avoid the relegation scrap. Can worry about harps when the time comes.

My tips for the weekend: similiar really to yours, but i wouldn't be too sure about either of the senior group c games, could go the other way in both.

The Stand Side

Ya Group C could go any way now.  Also Calry could cause an upset against Marys, maybe a draw! .  In any event the Tubber Marys match will be a clincher with scoring average likely to come into play.  Apart from that I reckon the rest will go to form this evening. 

Owenmoresider

Harps 2.21 bunninadden 1.4
Bunninadden will be relegated, you can write it down.