The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: stew on June 18, 2017, 06:14:19 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on June 16, 2017, 11:15:00 PM
Btw just as an outsider looking in Stew, bringing up gun control after a mass shooting is not political.  It's called common f**king sense!

It is political, of course it is political, that does not make it wrong.

As for common sense, the USA has none when it comes to the subject of guns, on either side of the argument.
Right so your point on a democrat politican calling out for tighter controls in the aftermath of this shooting was what then?

stew

Quote from: HiMucker on June 18, 2017, 07:26:48 PM
Btw just as an outsider looking in Stew, bringing up gun control after a mass shooting is not political.  It's called common f**king sense!

As for common sense, the USA has none when it comes to the subject of guns, on either side of the argument.
Right so your point on a democrat politican calling out for tighter controls in the aftermath of this shooting was what then?

My point is I am sick of hearing the liberals talk about gun control and have done nothing about gum control even when Obama had the firepower to change the laws for the better, as for the right? They are an absolute disgrace on the issue of gun law.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

HiMucker

Quote from: stew on June 18, 2017, 08:28:24 PM

My point is I am sick of hearing the liberals talk about gun control and have done nothing about gum control even when Obama had the firepower to change the laws for the better, as for the right? They are an absolute disgrace on the issue of gun law.
is it not a matter of fact that Obama had several high profile laws aimed at curbing the sale of automatic weapons, sale of weapons without at background checks and sale of weapons to peoplemwith mental health issues blocked?

stew

Quote from: HiMucker on June 18, 2017, 09:03:30 PM
Quote from: stew on June 18, 2017, 08:28:24 PM

is it not a matter of fact that Obama had several high profile laws aimed at curbing the sale of automatic weapons, sale of weapons without at background checks and sale of weapons to peoplemwith mental health issues blocked?

What part of the republicans are a disgrace on this issue didnt you get????

Obama did nothing when he had the window of opportunity at the start of his presidency, alas as usual he fluffed his lines.

heganboy

Obama is not the issue here Stew, let it go.

The issue is politicians acting in the interest of their donors versus the interest of their citizens
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

stew

Quote from: heganboy on June 19, 2017, 12:04:18 AM
Obama is not the issue here Stew, let it go.

The issue is politicians acting in the interest of their donors versus the interest of their citizens

Obama talked a lot but as usual did nothing or next to it when he had the chance, so he is part of the issue and I wont let it go!

Did Obama or did Obama not have the votes in the house/senate at one time to reform the leglislation on gun control???

If your answer is yes then why the f**k did he not do anything about gun control????

His home town is rife with murder, children being killed and the two parties sit on their hands and do nothing, it is a disgrace.

J70

I think stew has somewhat of a point, even if it is naive to the facts of political life. The main thing is that gun control wouldn't have passed, as it would have been political suicide for several Democratic senators from red states at the time. It is a simple fact that the opponents of gun control are FAR, FAR more motivated and better funded and connected by this as a political cause than the proponents. And even if it had by some miracle passed, it would have made reelection for Obama himself very tough, which obviously has implications for all kinds of issues beyond gun control (which itself would have been immediately rolled back). And then there is also the fact that Obama basically had higher priorities with the economy and healthcare in those first two years. You only have so much political capital, so you have to prioritize, no matter what party you are from. A president can't address each and every item that his party cares about. Even the three or four GOP senators who were willing to negotiate at the time on the drafting of Obamacare - do you think he would have got even those into the room if gun control had been on the table at the time? And if you think the tea party stuff on healthcare and mortgages was bad, what kind of response do you think there would have been to a ban on assault rifles?

P.S. Obama had 60 votes in the senate for a grand total of five months from 2009-2011.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on June 19, 2017, 01:15:13 PM
I think stew has somewhat of a point, even if it is naive to the facts of political life. The main thing is that gun control wouldn't have passed, as it would have been political suicide for several Democratic senators from red states at the time. It is a simple fact that the opponents of gun control are FAR, FAR more motivated and better funded and connected by this as a political cause than the proponents. And even if it had by some miracle passed, it would have made reelection for Obama himself very tough, which obviously has implications for all kinds of issues beyond gun control (which itself would have been immediately rolled back). And then there is also the fact that Obama basically had higher priorities with the economy and healthcare in those first two years. You only have so much political capital, so you have to prioritize, no matter what party you are from. A president can't address each and every item that his party cares about. Even the three or four GOP senators who were willing to negotiate at the time on the drafting of Obamacare - do you think he would have got even those into the room if gun control had been on the table at the time? And if you think the tea party stuff on healthcare and mortgages was bad, what kind of response do you think there would have been to a ban on assault rifles?

P.S. Obama had 60 votes in the senate for a grand total of five months from 2009-2011.

There is very little political appetite to address this issue

Many people (rightly or wrongly) feel that the constitution gives them a right to bear arms.

If I recall correctly this interpretation has been reinforced by the US Supreme Court.

On top of that, gun laws vary from state to state and even city to city, so that any legislative fix will evolve into a "whack a mole" scenario.

Right now, some of the cities with the highest number of gun murders already have some of people he strictly eat gun controls

Jell 0 Biafra

strictly eat gun controls just don't work.

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 19, 2017, 10:24:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 19, 2017, 01:15:13 PM

There is very little political appetite to address this issue

Many people (rightly or wrongly) feel that the constitution gives them a right to bear arms.

If I recall correctly this interpretation has been reinforced by the US Supreme Court.

On top of that, gun laws vary from state to state and even city to city, so that any legislative fix will evolve into a "whack a mole" scenario.

Right now, some of the cities with the highest number of gun murders already have some of people he strictly eat gun controls

Yep, its all very well having and enforcing strict gun laws in cities, but when the criminals who need them simply smuggle them in from the surrounding areas and states, there's not a whole lot that can be done.

Personally, gun control is not an issue for me. I've given up caring. There are just so many guns out there and the gun lobby is so entrenched in power that sanity will never prevail. Sandy Hook was the tipping point.

Denn Forever

All the Mexican rapists must be deported already.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on June 19, 2017, 10:24:40 PM

Chicago is the one city the gun nuts like to talk about the most, but Chicago is an anomaly because of lax gun laws in the next state over.

Gabriel_Hurl

So Donnie Dickhead doesn't have any tapes of his Comey conversations ............. there's a f**king shock.

The man is a complete bullshitter.

Last night he said he'd be introducing legislation that would mean new immigrants couldn't claim welfare for the first 5 years and that legislation would pass soon. Only that legislation is already in place and has been for over 20 years