2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

If Division 2 can have a thread of its own then Division 1 should have one too.
Dublin to win comfortably, Jim Gavin was hurt losing it last year that is how he understood Mayo's pain. Kildare will struggle, everyone else will do well apart from the other relegated team.

tippabu

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM
Dublin to win comfortably, Jim Gavin was hurt losing it last year that is how he understood Mayo's pain. Kildare will struggle, everyone else will do well apart from the other relegated team.

Well said....close thread!!

Dubs will always be vulnerable in the league due to their holiday at this time and development squad playing o byrne cup so they are behind everyone else in terms of preparation. Agree that kildare will struggle, how many of their players will be missing due to moorefield? Donegal will need big improvenment too

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: tippabu on January 02, 2018, 09:24:39 PM

Well said....close thread!!

Dubs will always be vulnerable in the league due to their holiday at this time and development squad playing o byrne cup so they are behind everyone else in terms of preparation. Agree that kildare will struggle, how many of their players will be missing due to moorefield? Donegal will need big improvenment too

No Moorefield players will be missed really, Mark Dempsey is on the panel but is only a year out of minor. Eanna O'Connor might get called back up again but he struggled in Division 3 two years ago. Aaron Masterson could get called up to the panel too but would be one for the future rather than now.

Our first game away to Dublin (we haven't had a home game against them in League or Championship in almost 23 years) is huge in that respect but even at 70% I can't see us beating them, we might take their 3rd team this year in the O'Byrne cup though. If we get a bit of luck and some confidence from these games could make a difference in the later rounds though.

Boycey

Monaghan must soon be due a trip back down through the ranks? We're probably in better all round shape than in some previous years but in my opinion we've wasted a lot of energy by putting all our eggs in the 'stay in div 1' basket. A mid May Championship might change the focus this time..

Beffs

Disagree that it's Dublin's to win comfortably. Last year showed how taking their hollier late, impacted their preparation for the league. They drew 3 games, that they were bloody lucky not to get bet in. Perhaps, other counties teams will see that now & will go after targeting the Dubs game for a win, when in previous campaigns they might have just thrown the towel in & presumed that a Dubs win was on the cards, even before a ball was thrown in.

GalwayBayBoy

I'd say we should be odds on to go down. Good chance we won't have the Corofin players available at all and we have 6 first team players who will also miss the league campaign as they are all recovering from injuries. So we'll be missing 9/10 first team players give or take. Their places in the squad taken mainly by some of last year's U-21 team. A lot to expect young lads to hit the ground running in division 1. If they can sneak a few wins at home they might scrape by. Maybe.

Not sure we'll go all out to stay up either like Roscommon did a couple years ago. Mayo in May will still be the main focus I imagine.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Beffs on January 02, 2018, 11:27:33 PM

Disagree that it's Dublin's to win comfortably. Last year showed how taking their hollier late, impacted their preparation for the league. They drew 3 games, that they were bloody lucky not to get bet in. Perhaps, other counties teams will see that now & will go after targeting the Dubs game for a win, when in previous campaigns they might have just thrown the towel in & presumed that a Dubs win was on the cards, even before a ball was thrown in.

Dublin aren't back training yet though.

Captain Scarlet

Kerry to win it I reckon with Dublin in the Final. Holiday or not Dublin's younger lads will be baying to step up.

Donegal are getting lads back and it is a big year for both themselves and Tyrone. If they both go blooding lads, or trying new systems then they might be dragged down.
Monaghan have been kicking around with a small squad for a long time too and Galway could be erratic enough to be in the mix for the drop.
I am hopeful that Kildare will settle and that their core players will have learned a lot from last year. they are very young and I would worry for them most of all making the step up.

One thing in fairness the league isn't just the league as much anymore. Some cracking games last year in all the divisions. Croke Park Jan 27th...
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Beffs

Quote from: LooseCannon on January 02, 2018, 11:37:34 PM

I know they're not. Not sure if I get your point.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Beffs on January 02, 2018, 11:46:25 PM
Quote from: LooseCannon on January 02, 2018, 11:37:34 PM

I know they're not. Not sure if I get your point.
Many other teams are. Dublin may be a bit rusty for the league.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 02, 2018, 11:31:26 PM
I'd say we should be odds on to go down. Good chance we won't have the Corofin players available at all and we have 6 first team players who will also miss the league campaign as they are all recovering from injuries. So we'll be missing 9/10 first team players give or take. Their places in the squad taken mainly by some of last year's U-21 team. A lot to expect young lads to hit the ground running in division 1. If they can sneak a few wins at home they might scrape by. Maybe.

Not sure we'll go all out to stay up either like Roscommon did a couple years ago. Mayo in May will still be the main focus I imagine.

Has taken Galway a long time to get back to Div one and it would be awful waste if their stay there is just one year.

A relegation battle between Monaghan,Donegal,Kildare and Galway i can imagine while the other four Tyrone,Kerry,Mayo and Dublin will battle it out for a league final place.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 03, 2018, 12:20:25 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 02, 2018, 11:31:26 PM

Has taken Galway a long time to get back to Div one and it would be awful waste if their stay there is just one year.

A relegation battle between Monaghan,Donegal,Kildare and Galway i can imagine while the other four Tyrone,Kerry,Mayo and Dublin will battle it out for a league final place.

It would be a disaster to go straight back down but unfortunately it looks more likely than not, especially if the team named for the first FBD is anything to go by, the Corofin lads are more than likely going to be gone until the end of February at least along with the injured, more experienced lads it could be a very difficult league campaign for Galway.

Syferus

I'd be surprised if Galway stayed up even if they went all out. Unless Monaghan change their approach they're a nasty side to play early in the year. Dublin's league to win as usual but two of Mayo, Galway and Kildare will probably be going down.

seafoid

Tyrone might get the drop.  They need a new model after last year. A lot of the players are not good enough . They won't win anything with the status quo.  Ulsters don't count.
It would be good to see Kildare staying up .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU