American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on April 11, 2018, 05:19:31 PMAmerican football is so totally designed around television viewing it's not even funny. Maybe a high school game you'd get something with a better tempo for a spectator than the pre-packaged NCAA and NFL fare.

I saw the Lakers play the Clippers in 2012. Kobe was winding down but with him and Pau and then CP3 and young Blake on the Clippers side it was a national TV game with serious star power on show. As I basketball fan I couldn't believe how boring the whole thing was, and it was a game in which Blake put up two dunk of the year candidates. The shite they fill timeouts with in the arena is just God awful. Dance cam, kiss cam, t shirt canon, trampolines, mascots, the terrible DJ etc. Awful stuff.

FL/MAYO

It depends where you live in the U.S. When I lived in NYC I was really into baseball, I can still name the 86 Mets team😊 When I was up there last week I noticed people sitting around watching baseball, they were really into it. You wouldn't see that down here. Baseball is still very popular in the north east. When I moved to Florida it was all about football, most people don't give a toss about any other sport down here, must be the climate.

Gabriel_Hurl

From Adam Schefter

QuoteAfter arranging for Colin Kaepernick to work out for the Seahawks this week, Seattle postponed the trip when the quarterback declined to stop kneeling during the national anthem next season, league sources tell ESPN.

More ahead on NFL Live now.

dec

Quote from: FL/MAYO on April 11, 2018, 08:36:03 PM
It depends where you live in the U.S. When I lived in NYC I was really into baseball, I can still name the 86 Mets team😊 When I was up there last week I noticed people sitting around watching baseball, they were really into it. You wouldn't see that down here. Baseball is still very popular in the north east. When I moved to Florida it was all about football, most people don't give a toss about any other sport down here, must be the climate.

I lived in Orlando for a year. When the Florida/Florida State game was on two local radio stations carried it, one with the FSU commentary and the other carrying UF.

Syferus

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 12, 2018, 06:41:10 PM
From Adam Schefter

QuoteAfter arranging for Colin Kaepernick to work out for the Seahawks this week, Seattle postponed the trip when the quarterback declined to stop kneeling during the national anthem next season, league sources tell ESPN.

I wonder what excuses the "it's for football reasons" twats will use now to explain why an NFL starting quaility QB can't even land a job as a backup.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Syferus on April 12, 2018, 07:29:33 PM
From Adam Schefter

I wonder what excuses the "it's for football reasons" t**ts will use now to explain why an NFL starting quaility QB can't even land a job as a backup.

Hmm I think Kap has to bite the bullet if he wants a job. All the rest have followed suit. At this stage its his pride that's stopping him. He has made his point and people are listening. The thing is too, he has been out of football an awful long time, and he was on the decline before the protests.

Gmac

Quote from: Therealdonald on April 12, 2018, 07:33:06 PM
From Adam Schefter

I wonder what excuses the "it's for football reasons" t**ts will use now to explain why an NFL starting quaility QB can't even land a job as a backup.

Hmm I think Kap has to bite the bullet if he wants a job. All the rest have followed suit. At this stage its his pride that's stopping him. He has made his point and people are listening. The thing is too, he has been out of football an awful long time, and he was on the decline before the protests.
hes not good enough for all the distractions and media coverage he would get he's a back up  at best , also the fact he's suing the nfl probably doesn't help him. Before anyone starts the 2012 version was very good but the 2014/15/16 not so much

AZOffaly

From Adam Schefter

Syf if Cam started kneeling do you think he'd he out of the league?

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 12, 2018, 10:57:45 PM
From Adam Schefter

Syf if Cam started kneeling do you think he'd he out of the league?

Nope, but he is an NFL MVP and not a buck with one year to run on his contract allowing his team to get rid as easily as SF did.

What point are you trying to make, though? Kaep is probably a top 20 QB even if he's at the leve he was at in his final season (only just back from a serious injury), nevermind what he was at his peak. He's better than at least two or three of the QBs that played in this year's playoffs ffs. Greg Hardy was right back in the league after battering a woman to an inch of her life and Kaep's been blackballed for kneeling for something that any sensible observer can see is an entirely valid reason.

The fact he hasn't even had a workout for a backup job is so utterly shameful that the NFL's cadre of old, white conservative owners should be indicted for collusion. Of course Kaep did file such a suit but they won't get done for it because justice is secondary in this sport.

AZOffaly

My point is that Kaepernick is not good enough for teams to want to have the constant sideshow. I don't think they are all against his stance although I know a lot are. If he was an elite QB he'd be in the league baggage and all. But isn't and so he's not. Of course it's not just about the football, but if he was great you'd have a lot more willing to put up with the sideshow.

None of the above is a commentary on the validity or otherwise of his stance by the way. Just my opinion on why he's not in the league.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 12, 2018, 11:07:55 PM
My point is that Kaepernick is not good enough for teams to want to have the constant sideshow. I don't think they are all against his stance although I know a lot are. If he was an elite QB he'd be in the league baggage and all. But isn't and so he's not. Of course it's not just about the football, but if he was great you'd have a lot more willing to put up with the sideshow.

None of the above is a commentary on the validity or otherwise of his stance by the way. Just my opinion on why he's not in the league.

It's only a sideshow if you think he's doing anything egregious or is promoting something that is untrue. Otherwise it's not different than the thousands of other expressions of political or social views by athletes. This shît would not be tolerated in the NBA.

AZOffaly

It's absolutely a sideshow. The media, the questions for teammates, veterans and service men objecting and making their own noise. All of it, the ancillary items that fall out of his protest are a sideshow. I mean the whole point of his stance was to provoke debate and try get things changed.

Again I'm not saying his stance is not worthy, but if you are on a 5-11 team, as an owner and a coach, you don't want that sort of media led distraction, assuming you want your coaches and players to actually focus on getting better.

Talent wise, he's obviously good enough to be on a roster. I don't know that 2016 version would be starting but he's certainly worth a place in the league if he would take a backup salary.

heganboy

Az
I hear ya. I would say that the issue is the owners not wanting to "alienate a section of the fans".

And I do have a view on the validity of his protest. The Superbowl win wouldn't matter to the owners. They only care about the commercial value of the team which would decrease based on a  boycott by fans or sponsors for whatever given reason.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

AZOffaly

Quote from: heganboy on April 13, 2018, 05:27:31 AM
Az
I hear ya. I would say that the issue is the owners not wanting to "alienate a section of the fans".

And I do have a view on the validity of his protest. The Superbowl win wouldn't matter to the owners. They only care about the commercial value of the team which would decrease based on a  boycott by fans or sponsors for whatever given reason.

That's true, and the sideshow I mention is the type of thing that leads to those factors.

Gabriel_Hurl