Paddy Bradley gets off suspension!!! big shock

Started by gander, May 30, 2007, 11:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gander

Bradley available for Derry

Paddy Bradley Glenullin
30 May 2007

The Dispute Resolution Authority has deemed that the Derry County Board did not follow the correct procedures in handing down a 12-week suspension to Paddy Bradley, thus freeing the ace attacker to line out against Antrim in Sunday's Ulster SFC quarter-final.

Bradley went to the DRA on Tuesday night after his appeals to the Derry County Board and Ulster Council against his 12 week suspension were unsuccessful. The All Star nominee was banned after an incident following a club game when he was alleged to have spoken out of turn to a referee.

The ban would have kept Bradley out of Sunday's Ulster opener against Antrim and a possible semi-final against either Monaghan or Down.

However, it is possible that the Glenullin man may not make the Oak Leaf team as he has not trained with the county since his suspension was handed down, rather preferring to train with his club.

The DRA deemed that the correct suspension procedures had not been followed through and have referred the case back to the Derry County Board, who could still decide that Bradley should at some late time serve the remainder of his ban.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

What rules weren't followed properly ? Is the ruling available ? Did the county board deliberately not follow the rules ?

magickingdom

Stranworst

This is complete bullshit. A ban is a ban and should be upheld. If I was from Antrim I would be ripping. Or Down in te next round!!

pintsofguinness

i cant believe it! this time last year there was an almighty row in a championship game in a between my own and another. they had about ten players banned for between 3 and 6 months. they were all lifted because the county board hadn't followed the correct procedure. what a joke!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

rashCharacter

Fergal Logan, should be banned from all GAA grounds for bringing the game into disrepute. 
A few years ago new disciplinary procedures were introduced to try and stop these sort of nonsensical merry go rounds of sentencing - appeals - appeals - higher appeals - get off.

Its making a laughing stock out of the whole thing.

screenmachine

apparently the technicality was that someone was/wasn't (not sure which one it is) was in the room at the time of the hearing and they should/should not have been there...its a bit of a laughing stock...theres no doubt that it is of great benefit to derry but at the same time if he touches a ref he should still serve the minimum of 3 months at least.
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Over the Bar

QuoteThe All Star nominee was banned after an incident following a club game when he was alleged to have spoken out of turn to a referee.

I thought he hit the referee?  Speaking out of turn to a ref, no matter what you might say, should not incur a 12 week ban.

AZOffaly

This is a pity. After the realitively noble way in which Meath took their medicine over Brian Farrell, and a couple of other incidents in the league, we are now back to lads getting off on technicalities.

If Paddy Bradley brought the appeal against the Derry County Board, can Derry not drop him anyway?

screenmachine

OTB he was sent off during the match for verbal abuse and then at the final whistle he grabbed the referee around the collar area apparently to query the result...tr**p
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

goal and a point

Armamike

will be interesting to see what the Derry refs make of this. I heard that the reason the county board banned Bradley was that the Derry refs threatened to strike (no pun intended)  if they let him off.
That's just, like your opinion man.

tyroneman

So Paddy Heaney's one man campaign to get the Glenullin Grump off his charges has worked.......now he can focus on part 2 of his campaign to get Ryan Mellon banned for life.

Glad to see that Paddy has such respect for the welfare of referees in his native county and indeed overall. The gist of his article being that everyone else gets off so why shouldn't we.....

Perhaps Paddy should, in his position as a well read (in the sense that people read his column, not the other way around) journo, have stood up for referees and acknowedeged that players cannot threaten / physically impinge on them.

Hopefully the next time Paddy steps out with the reserves Down referees will show a certain amount of kinship with thier Derry  colleagues........

Will Hunting

Tyroneman, as usual the preciuosness of Tyrone people comes to the fore. God forbid a journalist uses a current (present) example. In this instance it was the Ryan Mellon (non) suspension. Heaney explained how he wasn't using the article to 'get at' Tyrone - it's just that (like the diving thing) they are the best example to use!