Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on May 26, 2023, 03:45:00 PM
What's wrong with Jemar Hall? Did he not feature in the league ?
was going well in championship but picked up a knock before the final. Named in 26 for tomorrow.

greatpoint

Quote from: Manning18 on May 25, 2023, 10:41:37 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 25, 2023, 05:06:15 PM
All about Galway this year. Ye can call it yerra or whatever you want , they're the team most people fancy . Sean Kelly the best defender in the land , Walsh , comer , Tierney and finnerty , first two X factor footballers other two would make any starting 15 in the country . Cian o neill has them primed for glory . If Dublin can reignite the flame , it will be some final (if avoided before final ) , can't see anyone else spoiling the party in Tuam on 31st July .

Ah Larry, dya not think it's Mayos year? The only thing stopping them all this time has been the fabled curse and that's now removed. Kieran McDonald with his one all star is the greatest player never to lift Sam. If they can only get Cillian o'Connor back fit, we all know of his prolific record from play in finals. The county never truly wanted the 2020 and 2021 finals when with covid they couldn't properly celebrate. The tin roofs from Swinford to Belmullet will be swinging when the day comes in 2 months time

Word on the streets of Castlebar is that Aidan O'Shea at FF is the key to finally ending the famine.

rrhf

I can see the Armagh ones are losing the run of themselves again. In fairness they have a great ability to have games won before they are played.  I'd usually always support the Ulster team but the disrespect shown to Westmeath is remarkable...

UpMeeyo

Quote from: smelmoth on May 26, 2023, 03:24:48 PM
Quote from: UpMeeyo on May 26, 2023, 12:22:18 PM
Quote from: statto on May 26, 2023, 09:12:55 AM
Armagh team:

Rafferty

Morgan
Mckay
Forker

McCabe
C O'Neill
J Burns

Crealey
Ciaran Mackin

Grugan
Duffy
Campbell

Murnin
R O'Neill
Nugent

Subs:

Magill (GK)
Higgins
McCambridge
McQuillan
Cumiskey
Connaire Mackin
McPartlan
Turbitt
Hall
McConville
Conaty

Would it be fair to say Armagh don't know what their strongest team is? Every time I see an Armagh 15 there are changes -McCambridge, McQuillan, Connaire Mackin, McPartlan Turbitt, Hall - feel like all these lads have either started or been very involved in recent games, hard to build chemistry with so much chopping and changing.

Few teams stick to an exact 15 week in week out but there is a fair degree with continuity with almost all variations explained by knocks. Not sure when you saw McQuillan or Connaire Mackin named or drafted in before throwing  but I'm sure you will fill us in on the deets

Yeah tbf you've called my bluff a little bit  :) in mcquillans case, any time he's come on I've thought he should potentially be starting (which is why I've said "has been very involved") and as an outsider I could well have been confusing the two mackin's but I had thought I had seen potential in connaire, though I maybe I'm wrong. I think the point probably stands though. If we're saying Galway, Kerry and Dublin are the three front runners you could name 12-13 of their starters with reasonable certainty, I always find when an Armagh teamsheet is named it can be a guessing game as to who is in or out.

I Used to feel the same about Roscommon maybe 3 or 4 years ago - you'd never know whether both murtaghs or both smiths (even the dalys sometimes) would be starting, but now they seem reasonably settled and I think its standing to them.

statto

Quote from: UpMeeyo on May 26, 2023, 04:36:48 PM
Armagh team:

Rafferty

Morgan
Mckay
Forker

McCabe
C O'Neill
J Burns

Crealey
Ciaran Mackin

Grugan
Duffy

Campbell

Murnin
R O'Neill

Nugent

Subs:

Magill (GK)
Higgins
McCambridge
McQuillan
Cumiskey
Connaire Mackin
McPartlan
Turbitt
Hall
McConville
Conaty

Would it be fair to say Armagh don't know what their strongest team is? Every time I see an Armagh 15 there are changes -McCambridge, McQuillan, Connaire Mackin, McPartlan Turbitt, Hall - feel like all these lads have either started or been very involved in recent games, hard to build chemistry with so much chopping and changing.

Few teams stick to an exact 15 week in week out but there is a fair degree with continuity with almost all variations explained by knocks. Not sure when you saw McQuillan or Connaire Mackin named or drafted in before throwing  but I'm sure you will fill us in on the deets

Yeah tbf you've called my bluff a little bit  :) in mcquillans case, any time he's come on I've thought he should potentially be starting (which is why I've said "has been very involved") and as an outsider I could well have been confusing the two mackin's but I had thought I had seen potential in connaire, though I maybe I'm wrong. I think the point probably stands though. If we're saying Galway, Kerry and Dublin are the three front runners you could name 12-13 of their starters with reasonable certainty, I always find when an Armagh teamsheet is named it can be a guessing game as to who is in or out.

I Used to feel the same about Roscommon maybe 3 or 4 years ago - you'd never know whether both murtaghs or both smiths (even the dalys sometimes) would be starting, but now they seem reasonably settled and I think its standing to them.

I think those in bold are pretty nailed on at the moment for Armagh.  One of midfield slots up for grabs and grugan, duffy, o neill and murnin will all start then its 2 from Nugent, Turbitt, Hall, Campbell. 

smelmoth

Armagh team:

Rafferty

Morgan
Mckay
Forker

McCabe
C O'Neill
J Burns

Crealey
Ciaran Mackin

Grugan
Duffy
Campbell

Murnin
R O'Neill
Nugent

Subs:

Magill (GK)
Higgins
McCambridge
McQuillan
Cumiskey
Connaire Mackin
McPartlan
Turbitt
Hall
McConville
Conaty

Your post(s) don't make any sense.

Armagh name fairly consistent teams. Max of 3 changes and usually less that that. Massive consistency. Probably the side in Ireland most likely to start the named team. The premise of your posts seems freaky.

Because you think MCQuillan has done well when he comes on that in your opinion constitutes evidence that Armagh don't know their strongest team!! You are really going to talk me through the sequencing of your logic there?

Your other evidence being a confusion between 2 players ( one that has consistently started and one that consistently hasn't).

It's possible, just possible that your posts are utter gibberish and without a scintilla of merit?

naka

Quote from: rrhf on May 26, 2023, 04:35:11 PM
I can see the Armagh ones are losing the run of themselves again. In fairness they have a great ability to have games won before they are played.  I'd usually always support the Ulster team but the disrespect shown to Westmeath is remarkable...
;)
No-one biting yet 🤫

smelmoth

Quote from: naka on May 26, 2023, 06:24:30 PM
Quote from: rrhf on May 26, 2023, 04:35:11 PM
;)
No-one biting yet 🤫

He will be getting restless. He would have been really hoping for a nibble at least by this stage. I suppose it's an occupational hazard of trolling.

UpMeeyo

Quote from: smelmoth on May 26, 2023, 06:22:08 PM
Armagh team:

Rafferty

Morgan
Mckay
Forker

McCabe
C O'Neill
J Burns

Crealey
Ciaran Mackin

Grugan
Duffy
Campbell

Murnin
R O'Neill
Nugent

Subs:

Magill (GK)
Higgins
McCambridge
McQuillan
Cumiskey
Connaire Mackin
McPartlan
Turbitt
Hall
McConville
Conaty

Armagh name fairly consistent teams. Max of 3 changes and usually less that that. Massive consistency. Probably the side in Ireland most likely to start the named team. The premise of your posts seems freaky.

Because you think MCQuillan has done well when he comes on that in your opinion constitutes evidence that Armagh don't know their strongest team!! You are really going to talk me through the sequencing of your logic there?

Your other evidence being a confusion between 2 players ( one that has consistently started and one that consistently hasn't).

It's possible, just possible that your posts are utter gibberish and without a scintilla of merit?

Alright pal chill - I was only asking a question as to whether Armagh people think the lineups have been changeable - not saying this makes them a good or a bad team just looking for opinion.

anyway now you've gone and made me do some research (which I know already is going to be shot down citing injuries etc but sure isnt the point of forums to throw out some discussion)

vs Antrim - mccambridge/mcpartlan/hall/turbitt all started. (Tiernan Kelly also - no need to tell me - I'll presume he's currently injured)
vs cavan - mcpartlan/hall/turbitt start
vs down - same again - mcpartlan/hall/turbitt start
vs derry - mcpartlan/mccambridge/turbitt

I'm not trying to pull off some gotcha here, just wondering what ye think. is it horses for courses? is it injury? has halls form dropped? is it that soupy has to start? looking above I get the feeling there'll be 1-2 changes before throw in ;D

Armagh18

Quote from: UpMeeyo on May 27, 2023, 12:00:57 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 26, 2023, 06:22:08 PM
Armagh team:

Rafferty

Morgan
Mckay
Forker

McCabe
C O'Neill
J Burns

Crealey
Ciaran Mackin

Grugan
Duffy
Campbell

Murnin
R O'Neill
Nugent

Subs:

Magill (GK)
Higgins
McCambridge
McQuillan
Cumiskey
Connaire Mackin
McPartlan
Turbitt
Hall
McConville
Conaty

Alright pal chill - I was only asking a question as to whether Armagh people think the lineups have been changeable - not saying this makes them a good or a bad team just looking for opinion.

anyway now you've gone and made me do some research (which I know already is going to be shot down citing injuries etc but sure isnt the point of forums to throw out some discussion)

vs Antrim - mccambridge/mcpartlan/hall/turbitt all started. (Tiernan Kelly also - no need to tell me - I'll presume he's currently injured)
vs cavan - mcpartlan/hall/turbitt start
vs down - same again - mcpartlan/hall/turbitt start
vs derry - mcpartlan/mccambridge/turbitt

I'm not trying to pull off some gotcha here, just wondering what ye think. is it horses for courses? is it injury? has halls form dropped? is it that soupy has to start? looking above I get the feeling there'll be 1-2 changes before throw in ;D
Few injuries contributed to a lot of changes, Rian who is obviously nailed on to start was injured vs Antrim and only fit to come off the bench vs Cavan. McCambridge and Jarly Og have been out with illness as well at different stages. Hall wasnt even on panel for Ulster final as he was injured. Turbitt has had 2 great games and 2 poor ones so has been dropped which is fair enough and why you have a panel. Team named is probably our strongest available at the minute or very close to it.

Orior

Will tickets be on sale tomorrow for Tyrone v Armagh?

Will they all be available online?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on May 29, 2023, 12:08:41 AM
Will tickets be on sale tomorrow for Tyrone v Armagh?

Will they all be available online?

They have been available for several days.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

An Fhairche Abu

Westmeath were very unfortunate to not get at least a point on Saturday, can they bring the same level of performance on their home patch this weekend to try and stifle Galway? We are well warned either way, need to go at this in a professional manner and ideally get any notion of a shock out of the way as early as possible, might be difficult to achieve though, Galway are erring much more on the keep it tight and try to grind out results at the moment.
Last championship match up was 2006 and what a dark day that was at the time. Westmeath were a decent team then in fairness, and as the years went on it turned out to be far from the worst day for the footballers.

Only Galway and Armagh managed to get a win out of all the provincial finalists in the first round of matches, given that all had home advantage (Louth situation obviously a wrinkle there) that is really surprising.

bennydorano

Westmeath's ambush potential is gone. I was impressed with them  v Armagh, I thought they were sharp with a few tasty forwards on display. Don't see anything other than a Galway win tho.

David McKeown

Conversely I wasn't impressed with them at all and think they will need to improve significantly for this weekend. I can't see anything other than a comfortable Galway win.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner