End Game for Mickey?

Started by Bo Man, September 02, 2015, 01:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: longballin on September 10, 2015, 08:21:00 PM
if they bow and don't question him at all... Tyrone Times, The Star also were blacklisted and Tyrone radio show told no co-operation from manager and team unless they removed Noel McGinn who questioned the selection of player in back line

Strange as Harte has no problem talking with Teamtalk who McGinn is heavily involved with.

redzone

Heard way back that Harte had a share in team-talk, not sure how true it is. Never seems to be any bother with anybody doing an interview with them.

skeog

Beffs

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 10, 2015, 04:12:22 PM
RTE are not the only media outlet and they've had no problem laying the boot in on us unfairly overy the years so f**k them.

That's a lot easier for spectators to say. They don't pay the bills. The sponsors do. They aren't parting with their cash out of the goodness of their hearts. They are parting with it, as sponsoring a team brings exposure for their products and brands.

RTE provides the biggest platform in the country for that. So if you deny the sponsors that opportunity, that will lessen their willingness to part with the cash, at the levels that they did before. Why wouldn't they, if they don't feel they are getting bang for their buck? If that means that additional nutritionists or physios can't be hired, or training trips away can't be paid for, will the RTE boycott still have the support that it does now?

I'm entirely neutral on all this. I couldn't care less who MH does or doesn't speak to, but I get that running an intercounty team is a major financial undertaking. We fans can tell anyone that pisses us off to get lost. The county boards have to pay the bills. They don't have that luxury.

longballin

Not great for players profile either or chance of sponsorship deals. Why not let them speak and if Mickey doesn't want to speak to RTE so be it? I don't buy that players have decided, they know they can't step out of the line. Players speak to RTE after they leave the panel anyway

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: longballin on September 10, 2015, 09:41:19 PM
Not great for players profile either or chance of sponsorship deals. Why not let them speak and if Mickey doesn't want to speak to RTE so be it? I don't buy that players have decided, they know they can't step out of the line. Players speak to RTE after they leave the panel anyway

The players would seem to back their manager, I wouldn't imagine Sean Cavanagh would be too keen on giving RTE the time of day with the way he has been portrayed by some of their people over the years, nor would Tiernan McCann or Justin McMahon. Joe McMahon came out a couple of years back with a reminder to people the merits of why they don't speak.

The panel of players seem to be a very tight bunch and have a lot of respect and gratitude for Harte which is good to see. I'm pretty sure they're happy to be playing football and aren't too worried about dealing with RTE and would actually feel quite resentful towards them for how they have been depicted.

I think the nonsense being peddled by some here about pressure from sponsors is lads with some sort of axe to grind, I think Harte and the panel are doing the right thing on a matter of principle. RTE have treated the Harte family, Tyrone players and the wider Tyrone GAA community disgracefully so f**k them.

McAleer and Rushe have had plenty of exposure this year from a run to an All Ireland semi-final, I'm sure they're more than happy with that performance. Sad and disappointing to see some people using unconfirmed "sponsor pressure" as a proxy to push an agenda against Harte. How about they show some respect and understanding?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Beffs on September 10, 2015, 09:29:13 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 10, 2015, 04:12:22 PM
RTE are not the only media outlet and they've had no problem laying the boot in on us unfairly overy the years so f**k them.

That's a lot easier for spectators to say. They don't pay the bills. The sponsors do. They aren't parting with their cash out of the goodness of their hearts. They are parting with it, as sponsoring a team brings exposure for their products and brands.

RTE provides the biggest platform in the country for that. So if you deny the sponsors that opportunity, that will lessen their willingness to part with the cash, at the levels that they did before. Why wouldn't they, if they don't feel they are getting bang for their buck? If that means that additional nutritionists or physios can't be hired, or training trips away can't be paid for, will the RTE boycott still have the support that it does now?

I'm entirely neutral on all this. I couldn't care less who MH does or doesn't speak to, but I get that running an intercounty team is a major financial undertaking. We fans can tell anyone that pisses us off to get lost. The county boards have to pay the bills. They don't have that luxury.

Do RTE blur out the sponsors logo on the Tyrone jerseys for the 70+ minutes the game takes place?

No, they don't. I find it bizarre the rationale behind this. Where was the sponsorship pressure when Armagh went on an extended run last year when they imposed a boycott on all media outlets? It wasn't there, presumably because the sponsors were more than happy with the team exceeding expectations at the start of the year and getting more exposure as a result.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: redhandefender on September 10, 2015, 03:55:12 PM
The big GAA purists here don't seem to realise the cost in running county teams and underage structures today. They are phenominal, an agreement was made to speak to the media. If we don't have the money from sponsors (who aren't lining up anymore then all sections of the county gaa are affected.

On the first night she called at the door of the changing room and asked if a player was available to come out to speak as agreed. She didn't bust in or start shouting demands. She was told where to go! It created bad blood all year with the sponsor. These are business men, if you make an agreement you stick to it.

Mickey is obviously the right man for the job and 100% behind him BUT if he wants the money to run his team like he needs to then he needs to keep the sponsors happy. I couldn't care less about RTE but if it is effecting the future of the GAA in Tyrone then it needs to be addressed.

Listen he will stay and rightfully so but the issue needs ironed out now. CB are acting correctly for once. Would everyone calm down!
I heard she barged into the changing room as all the lads were coming out of the shower and demanded press interviews there & then. It's a tactic she had successfully used with the camogie and ladies football teams in the past.

skeog

aoron dont think to many media outlets be lining up for camogie interviews

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 10, 2015, 10:35:34 PM
No, they don't. I find it bizarre the rationale behind this. Where was the sponsorship pressure when Armagh went on an extended run last year when they imposed a boycott on all media outlets? It wasn't there, presumably because the sponsors were more than happy with the team exceeding expectations at the start of the year and getting more exposure as a result.

My understanding is that there was indeed a significant level of disquiet from the team sponsor.

redhandefender

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 10, 2015, 10:32:37 PM

The players would seem to back their manager, I wouldn't imagine Sean Cavanagh would be too keen on giving RTE the time of day with the way he has been portrayed by some of their people over the years, nor would Tiernan McCann or Justin McMahon. Joe McMahon came out a couple of years back with a reminder to people the merits of why they don't speak.

The panel of players seem to be a very tight bunch and have a lot of respect and gratitude for Harte which is good to see. I'm pretty sure they're happy to be playing football and aren't too worried about dealing with RTE and would actually feel quite resentful towards them for how they have been depicted.

I think the nonsense being peddled by some here about pressure from sponsors is lads with some sort of axe to grind, I think Harte and the panel are doing the right thing on a matter of principle. RTE have treated the Harte family, Tyrone players and the wider Tyrone GAA community disgracefully so f**k them.

McAleer and Rushe have had plenty of exposure this year from a run to an All Ireland semi-final, I'm sure they're more than happy with that performance. Sad and disappointing to see some people using unconfirmed "sponsor pressure" as a proxy to push an agenda against Harte. How about they show some respect and understanding?

I think you will find I said Mickey is the man for the job and I fully support him staying put. But you are an absolutely deluded armchair fan if you don't understand the money needed today even at club level to compete.

Sponsors weren't happy, end off! You can say they got exposure....they got this.....they got that.... it doesn't matter! Sponsors are simply not lining up anymore and in order to get one a player needs to be available to speak to the media!

I am all for your "f**k the rest, c'mon tyrone" sentiments but in reality money talks and bulls**t walks. Start walking my friend

lenny

Quote from: redhandefender on September 11, 2015, 08:41:19 AM

I think you will find I said Mickey is the man for the job and I fully support him staying put. But you are an absolutely deluded armchair fan if you don't understand the money needed today even at club level to compete.

Sponsors weren't happy, end off! You can say they got exposure....they got this.....they got that.... it doesn't matter! Sponsors are simply not lining up anymore and in order to get one a player needs to be available to speak to the media!

I am all for your "f**k the rest, c'mon tyrone" sentiments but in reality money talks and bulls**t walks. Start walking my friend

Totally agree, the county board are the ones caught in the middle trying to keep the sponsors on board. If the sponsors walk then there is a huge financial hole to fill. Harte wouldn't be too happy if he was told there was to be no weekends away to bond, no overnight stays for away league games, less physios available and overall less medical support for the players. Sponsors pay huge money and one of the most attractive things is the after match interview, just look at any post match soccer interview on sky or match of the day and see how many companies logos are visible.

longballin

Was one player I know of at least were family had to contact RTE to get his Man of the Match award later that week.   

Il Bomber Destro

I am aware of the costs but I don't happen to believe all this "sponsor pressure" bluster that is being bandied about. I'm sure the sponsors are more than happy with the fact their logo and brand were carried by one of the top 4 teams in the country this year rather than missing out on a two minute air time after the game which most people have switched over.

I happen to believe there is no sponsor pressure and people are only using this to push their agenda against Harte.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 11, 2015, 11:06:15 AM

I am aware of the costs but I don't happen to believe all this "sponsor pressure" bluster that is being bandied about. I'm sure the sponsors are more than happy with the fact their logo and brand were carried by one of the top 4 teams in the country this year rather than missing out on a two minute air time after the game which most people have switched over.

I happen to believe there is no sponsor pressure and people are only using this to push their agenda against Harte.
How naïve you are. Sponsors pouring £'000s into GAA teams expect every opportunity for exposure to be taken and that includes talking to the national TV station and in fact the biggest exposure possible comes from RTE given the limited viewer numbers on Sky.