Tyrone v Meath round 2 qualifiers 11th July 2015

Started by orangeman, June 29, 2015, 08:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

He's gone if we lose.
Would need to make a quarter-final to keep the job.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

The thing is, I think he has the right philosophy and football vision - a version of football that's in line with my own preferences/prejudices. But whether it can work in today's semi- (or almost fully-) professional environment is questionable. And, as you say, Jinxy, whether he'll get any more time to try to make it work is also questionable. As well as all that, it probably can't work without some changes in the rules that would restore the emphasis on the traditional strengths, skills and virtues of the game and minimise the rewards to be gained from gym-monkeying, running, basketball skills, diving and full time training.

I know others feel differently, but I'd like him to get more time to try. Probably with a good tactician added to the management team.

Fuzzman

Have ye ever been to Omagh before lads?
Are ye staying overnight?
Any chance of a lift up and down?

redhandefender

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 08, 2015, 11:49:52 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 07, 2015, 10:50:22 PM
Time to get back on the championship road. A big improvement is needed from the Limerick and a big increase in work rate and desire. A good win and performance could set us up well. There's players on the field that haven't nailed down positions and I'd be very tempted to throw in a few more u21s and hope they can really stand up this week and beyond if we win. I'd go with something like this:

Morgan
Mcrory
Mcnamme
Mcccarron
Mcnabb
Justy
Harte
Colm c
McNulty (need someone big in here and might be worth another look at)
Meyler (hard working half forward that we need but would be big step up and may be injured)
Donnelly
McShane
Bradley
Sean c
Mcaliskey

In reality I'd be surprised if either mcshane or meyler were on.

Meyler & Mickey oneill both injured i believe

Meyler is off on his jollys with the omagh lads I believe

rrhf

Quote from: Hardy on July 08, 2015, 04:16:13 PM
The thing is, I think he has the right philosophy and football vision - a version of football that's in line with my own preferences/prejudices. But whether it can work in today's semi- (or almost fully-) professional environment is questionable. And, as you say, Jinxy, whether he'll get any more time to try to make it work is also questionable. As well as all that, it probably can't work without some changes in the rules that would restore the emphasis on the traditional strengths, skills and virtues of the game and minimise the rewards to be gained from gym-monkeying, running, basketball skills, diving and full time training.
I know others feel differently, but I'd like him to get more time to try. Probably with a good tactician added to the management team.
I agree with you -  we are a long way away from seeing that type of abject knavery that snaffled a Leinster title against Louth and I must admit it is to be admired that they have changed their ways.  Whilst I wouldnt considered myself a major fan of Meath football I have to admit I enjoyed their performance against Westmeath..   

Hardy

That's a poor attempt at trash talking. Would it help if I gave you the the names of my dead relations?

rrhf

BennyHarp

Quote from: Hardy on July 08, 2015, 06:59:04 PM
That's a poor attempt at trash talking. Would it help if I gave you the the names of my dead relations?

Typical Meath response. They taught us well!
That was never a square ball!!

Aaron Boone

Based on Tyrone's underwhelming performance v Limerick, I have bet 20 on Meath to win 50 extra.

Ard-Rí

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 08, 2015, 10:01:03 PM
Based on Tyrone's underwhelming performance v Limerick, I have bet 20 on Meath to win 50 extra.

You've lost your money then. Just look at the shape of the Tyrone players and the shape of the Meath lads. Men against boys in a lot of cases, just like Armagh last year. Mick O'Dowd hasn't won a qualifier game with Meath & I don't believe he will. The writing is on the wall for him after three years and no significant success (unless you count losing Div 3 final) and the players know that too. In fact, other than beating Kildare, this Meath team has done nothing in the championship of any note whatsoever. In many ways he has been unlucky, especially with injuries. But in other ways, like his tactical awareness and game management he has been woefully inept. There is no plausible version of this year's All-Ireland series that saves Mick O'Dowd's job. 2013 will likely be looked at as his best year, running the Dubs reasonably close for 40 minutes and then losing to Tyrone Seán Cavanagh in R4 Qualifier.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

rrhf

I disagree.  I think it's a catapult game. The winner will push on significantly.  The loser will have to make changes in players and management.  It will come down to fine margin.s

ONeill

Is Harte definitely gone at the end of this campaign? Is that the thinking?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

trileacman

Quote from: ONeill on July 08, 2015, 11:25:03 PM

Well that's his thinking so I suppose he is gone. Short of an All-Ireland title or final appearance I don't see the necessary support to carry him through again. Also by the sounds of things he's said of late/changes he made at the end of last season I think he realises this is the end too.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

loughshore lad

Quote from: trileacman on July 09, 2015, 12:20:18 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 08, 2015, 11:25:03 PM

Well that's his thinking so I suppose he is gone. Short of an All-Ireland title or final appearance I don't see the necessary support to carry him through again. Also by the sounds of things he's said of late/changes he made at the end of last season I think he realises this is the end too.

What has Mickey said or done to indicate this is the end for him?

Jinxy

If our lads were actually just fit we would be a top 8 team.
There's a big drop-off after the big three.
If you were any use you'd be playing.