All-Ireland Minor Football Championship 2013

Started by Syferus, July 21, 2013, 05:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Great to see Mayo winning an All Ireland in Croke Park - a bit of a balls that it's overshadowed by the loss in the senior final though.

Have just watched the match again and Tyrone will feel they left this one behind them - when they brought it back to 3, they had chances to close it further and missed them. Similar to the senior game, the team who were able to take their scores better won the game.

Was just looking back to the 2008 / 09 minor teams and five from each team are in or around the panel although only three started last Sunday - Hennelly, AOS & COC. It will be interesting to see how many of the 2013 crop can make it....

Mayo - R Hennelly; D Dolan, K Keane, J Broderick; S McHale, E Reilly, S Nally (0-1); J Cafferty, G McDonagh; C Freeman (0-4), A O'Shea (0-2), R Geraghty (0-1); K Charlton, A Walsh (0-4, 3f), A Corduff (0-1). Subs - D Gavin (0-1) for Charlton (39), D O'Hara for Geraghty (49).

Mayo: Michael Schlingermann; David Gavin, Keith Rogers, Michael Walsh; Ciaran Charlton, Shane McDermott, Caolan Crowe; Danny Kirby, Aidan Walsh (0-6); Andrew Farrell, Darren Coen (0-1), Fergal Durkan; Daryl Herbert, Cillian O'Connor (2-0), Alex Corduff (0-1). Subs: Ian Costello, Jack McDonnell, John Carney (0-1), Michael McCormack

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 24, 2013, 01:21:19 PM
Great to see Mayo winning an All Ireland in Croke Park - a bit of a balls that it's overshadowed by the loss in the senior final though.

Have just watched the match again and Tyrone will feel they left this one behind them - when they brought it back to 3, they had chances to close it further and missed them. Similar to the senior game, the team who were able to take their scores better won the game.

Was just looking back to the 2008 / 09 minor teams and five from each team are in or around the panel although only three started last Sunday - Hennelly, AOS & COC. It will be interesting to see how many of the 2013 crop can make it....

Mayo - R Hennelly; D Dolan, K Keane, J Broderick; S McHale, E Reilly, S Nally (0-1); J Cafferty, G McDonagh; C Freeman (0-4), A O'Shea (0-2), R Geraghty (0-1); K Charlton, A Walsh (0-4, 3f), A Corduff (0-1). Subs - D Gavin (0-1) for Charlton (39), D O'Hara for Geraghty (49).

Mayo: Michael Schlingermann; David Gavin, Keith Rogers, Michael Walsh; Ciaran Charlton, Shane McDermott, Caolan Crowe; Danny Kirby, Aidan Walsh (0-6); Andrew Farrell, Darren Coen (0-1), Fergal Durkan; Daryl Herbert, Cillian O'Connor (2-0), Alex Corduff (0-1). Subs: Ian Costello, Jack McDonnell, John Carney (0-1), Michael McCormack

Not a bad return.

Hard to know with current crop. We might get a couple of seniors.
Stephen Coen looks the most likely. I think Hall and Plunkett maybe if they get the size.
Cunniffe and Cian Hanley have another year at minor and both looked very good already this year.

macdanger2

From the Tyrone side, I thought Mulgrew looked very good, is he the lad who's only 15? Thought he picked some great passes on Sunday

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2013, 01:56:10 PM

Not a bad return.

Stephen Coen looks the most likely. I think Hall and Plunkett maybe if they get the size.
Cunniffe and Cian Hanley have another year at minor and both looked very good already this year.

Eh? From a Mayo perspective no stone should be left unturned trying to develop Conroy (probably the most complete of the three FFs), Doherty (who is like a blinkered horse with the ball in hand, but obviously a very talented scorer) and Irwin who has the size and ability to develop into a senior. The other lads baring maybe Hanley would be coming into positions with good depth already.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 24, 2013, 02:07:19 PM
From the Tyrone side, I thought Mulgrew looked very good, is he the lad who's only 15? Thought he picked some great passes on Sunday

Hate to burst your bubble but he is a hell of a good sweeper for his club minor side. Seen him in championship semi v coalisland and he was exceptional in the sweeper role.  A very intelligent player for a 15 year old big frank and brian mcguigan must be rubbing of on him.

macdanger2

Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 24, 2013, 05:42:56 PM

Hate to burst your bubble but he is a hell of a good sweeper for his club minor side. Seen him in championship semi v coalisland and he was exceptional in the sweeper role.  A very intelligent player for a 15 year old big frank and brian mcguigan must be rubbing of on him.

Eh? Bubble??

loughshore lad

Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 24, 2013, 05:42:56 PM

Doesn't usually play sweeper for Ardboe minors but did in the league semi final that night. Can easily play in any number of positions and is an absolutely fantastic player.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on September 24, 2013, 02:40:21 PM

Not a bad return.

Eh? From a Mayo perspective no stone should be left unturned trying to develop Conroy (probably the most complete of the three FFs), Doherty (who is like a blinkered horse with the ball in hand, but obviously a very talented scorer) and Irwin who has the size and ability to develop into a senior. The other lads baring maybe Hanley would be coming into positions with good depth already.

I m not following you??

Rossfan

It's only Syfínín our village eejit. No sane person can understand his ramblings.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Rossfan on September 24, 2013, 10:29:26 PM
It's only Syfínín our village eejit. No sane person can understand his ramblings.

Thanks for explaining them.  ;)
MWWSI 2017

NDA

That Irish Times article is probably the poorest piece of GAA  journalism I have ever seen, and that is saying something.
Gavin Cummiskey should be ashamed of himself.
If some of the windup merchants on a forum like this had written it it could have been laughed off. Seriously disrespectful to Mayo as well as Tyrone. Mayo minors were excellent on Sunday and deserved their win.
Tyrone have overachieved with a young team and still could have won the game on Sunday with a bit of luck and a few breaks going their way.
Both teams deserve credit rather than having this rubbish published in a national newspaper.
This years minor final was a much better game in terms of both entertainment and quality of football than the really poor, negative, boring minor final served up last year by Dublin and Meath. I nearly fell asleep in Croke Park during it. I can't remember any outcry after that game?
The media campaign against Tyrone has gone too far now and needs to stop.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2013, 10:22:50 PM

Not a bad return.

I m not following you??

Mayo need FFs, not backs. A wing-forward like Hanley would be nice, but secondary to a lad like Conroy in terms of importance. Lads like Hall and Coen may make the cut but they're not at positions where Mayo are crying out for help or even depth. I think Mayo's forwards carried a team that routinely was poor in the middle and a little stand-offish at back. They are where the big potential lies in this Mayo team so it was bizarre you wouldn't mention any of the FFs.

Quote from: NDA on September 24, 2013, 10:57:03 PM
That Irish Times article is probably the poorest piece of GAA  journalism I have ever seen, and that is saying something.
If some of the windup merchants on a forum like this had written it it could have been laughed off. Seriously disrespectful to Mayo as well as Tyrone. Mayo minors were excellent on Sunday and deserved their win.
Tyrone have overachieved with a young team and still could have won the game on Sunday with a bit of luck and a few breaks going their way.
Both teams deserve credit rather than having this rubbish published in a national newspaper.
This years minor final was a much better game in terms of both entertainment and quality of football than the really poor, negative, boring minor final served up last year by Dublin and Meath. I nearly fell asleep in Croke Park during it. I can't remember any outcry after that game?

Trying to call other minor teams negative after Tyrone's antics this year is a little too rich for human blood. The Kildare robots might be able to handle it, though.

NDA

Syferus comments like that are just boring at this stage. Tyrone beat Roscommon get over it.
There wasn't a dirty tackle in the game on Sunday and the game was played in a good spirit by both teams. Mayo were very good and deserved their win. Tyrone have a weak defence and tried to protect it. Only common sense in my opinion and a perfectly legitimate tactic.
Last year Dublin minors played with a sweeper in every game and they were praised as a great team, Meath minors had 2 if not 3 extra defenders in the final. As a result the final was like watching paint dry and there wasn't a word of complaint that I heard.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on September 24, 2013, 10:58:08 PM

Not a bad return.

I m not following you??

Mayo need FFs, not backs. A wing-forward like Hanley would be nice, but secondary to a lad like Conroy in terms of importance. Lads like Hall and Coen may make the cut but they're not at positions where Mayo are crying out for help or even depth. I think Mayo's forwards carried a team that routinely was poor in the middle and a little stand-offish at back. They are where the big potential lies in this Mayo team so it was bizarre you wouldn't mention any of the FFs.

Trying to call other minor teams negative after Tyrone's antics this year is a little too rich for human blood. The Kildare robots might be able to handle it, though.

Not bizarre at all Sy. it s just that I ve seen it all before. If there is anything Mayo produce it s knacky minor corner forwards. Hope these lads go back to Club, College and U21s and make it as senior. Not dismissing them at all. And I m not going to scrutinise 17 yr olds on here. 

But you have to factor in that some of the lads that were playing against our forwards will never play senior. Some may not even play senior club. Some of the Mayo minor teams listed above that played in AI finals dont even play any more. That s the reality. You know that when Ros won minor in 06 that a lot of fans would have anticipated that bunch to mature into serious  senior players that would be back in Croke Park as a serious team. But that is not the way it works. As we ve found out often enough it takes a rare enough player to be able to compete when it comes to last 8 and AI final day is a different galaxy.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2013, 11:38:19 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 24, 2013, 10:58:08 PM

Not a bad return.

I m not following you??

Not bizarre at all Sy. it s just that I ve seen it all before. If there is anything Mayo produce it s knacky minor corner forwards. Hope these lads go back to Club, College and U21s and make it as senior. Not dismissing them at all. And I m not going to scrutinise 17 yr olds on here. 

But you have to factor in that some of the lads that were playing against our forwards will never play senior. Some may not even play senior club. Some of the Mayo minor teams listed above that played in AI finals dont even play any more. That s the reality. You know that when Ros won minor in 06 that a lot of fans would have anticipated that bunch to mature into serious  senior players that would be back in Croke Park as a serious team. But that is not the way it works. As we ve found out often enough it takes a rare enough player to be able to compete when it comes to last 8 and AI final day is a different galaxy.

We've got plenty from that team and there's more to come from a lot of those lads. This is the lazy punditry that's applied to them a lot by outsiders but if the 2006 Mayo U21s walked into a team in free-fall where would they be? Certainly not competing in back-to-back AI finals.

Free-fall doesn't mean a couple championship shocks to minnows, it means the team panel collapsing, once-in-a-lifetime players retiring with years left on their careers, management openly attacking supporters and vice versa. We ended up in D4 heading into the 2010 championship.

Mayo lost to Sligo and Longford in 2010. Big friggin' deal. You've been hanging in D1 for donkey's years. You'd made AI finals four times in the previous decade or so. We didn't have those luxuries so of course progress is going to be judged by a very different graph. A lot of those 2006 players have made serious strides, particularly under Fergie and again this year under Evans. They certainly have not been a failure and their application and dedication has been a clear break from the tumultuous decade of mis-adventures that had preceded them. Roscommon supporters were far more circumspect about the speed progress was likely to happen at than outsiders were. The fooling around last season was another unnecessary set-back.

For Mayo they've got a team coming off two AI finals, two league semis and one league final to integrate players like Adam Gallagher, Conroy, Irwin or Hanley into. You have the luxury of letting the existing team help carry the youngsters on their first few steps. Our lads had no such luck.