Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Can't believe all the empty seats at the Emirites! Not as if they were beaten by Midtjylland?

Cunny Funt

The opening goal for Barcelona tonight was similar to these two goals.
http://youtu.be/jPlO2wwdprk happening to often for Wenger sides.

imtommygunn

While it was a well worked goal it's messi and he was unmarked. Can't do that.

tyroneman

At which point will Arsenal have the b@lls to bin Wenger. Around 20 odd goes at the CL and still no trophy.

This is also his best chance in years of winning the EPL and he will prob feck that up too. To Leicester. Or worse, Spurs.

Same old mistakes, same refusal to strengthen the team properly, same old Arsenal.

Fans paying extortionate ticket prices deserve much, much more.

Main Street

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 23, 2016, 12:55:19 PM
5 years ago Arsenal where this chance from going through but Lord Bendtner showed why he wasn't TGFTEL.

Would be happy if Arsenal are in a similar position with 10mins to go in the second leg.

Wilshere dominated this fixture then, was only 19. A real what if.....

Arsenal should have won the league that year as well but collapsed in the run-in, what price.....
It was excellent defending which denied a very slight chance for Bendtner in a tie they were completely outplayed in.

Arsenal's best chance for the CL  was with that glorious team in the 2006 final  which they would have/could have won  but for a goalkeeping mishap. No epl team can live with Barca,  Bayern are the only team  who can stop Barca this year.

From the Bunker

Arsenal used the excuse of the stadium debt for having an average squad and expensive ticket prices for years. They realised pretty quickly that the fans were happy with their new home and Wenger kept the coffers full with Champions League qualification year in year out.  7 years without a trophy and still no complaints. Arsenal seem happy enough to finish ahead of Spurs and in the top 4. Wenger offers stability for the board and is safe in keeping Arsenal top 4 with a FA Cup the last two years on a modest budget.

Gold

Awk FFS dry your eyes....they were beaten by arguably the best club team in the history of the game.

They had chances but didnt have a second on the ball, relentlessly harrassed by Barca.

Get rid of Wenger?! WTF? I was laughing to my mates saying wait till you hear the idiots on five live calling for Wenger's Head..and lo and behold what do we have here!

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Over the Bar

QuoteAwk FFS dry your eyes....they were beaten by arguably the best club team in the history of the game.

Whilst this Barca team are good, they are not as good as the Xavi-Iniesta inspired team under Guardiola, despite the additions of Suarez and Neymar. 

Gold

Quote from: Over the Bar on February 23, 2016, 11:09:51 PM
QuoteAwk FFS dry your eyes....they were beaten by arguably the best club team in the history of the game.

Whilst this Barca team are good, they are not as good as the Xavi-Iniesta inspired team under Guardiola, despite the additions of Suarez and Neymar.

Words cannot describe how good Xavi was....he and Iniesta together were a joy I was lucky enough to see in the not camp on more than one occasion

But that aside I think the two boys up front make them better....maybe. David Villa was unreal....Petrol and Alex is had their moments...but the 3 up front now take some beating

Look Arsenal had a punchers chance tonight but that was ithe.  The Ox should /could have done better and Girouds header could've crept in...but that was it. 1 Giroud is not equal to the magical Barca 3. Arsenal were slightly unlucky but at the same time on another day Suarez would've scored 2.

Arsenal didn't win the Champions League when they had the Invinciblesame. ..that was their chance
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Rossie11

Going to the 2nd leg so was hoping Arsenal would keep it tight. Not to be.

Same as the Barca Bayern game last season. 50/50 all game but once Barca got the first it was over.
For the first goal I wouldn't be too harsh on Arsenal. They had their best attacking period of the game yet Barca still left 3 guys on the half way line. If the Gunners had scored the likes of Giles would be critical for not tracking back. However the risk and reward was high. Once the ball broke Arsenal were under pressure even with enough back as the defensive shape was gone. Saying that the passing was brilliant to create it.

laoislad

Time to concentrate on finishing 4th,qualifying for next seasons Champions league and getting knocked out in the 2nd round.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

stew

Quote from: laoislad on February 24, 2016, 08:04:12 AM
Time to concentrate on finishing 4th,qualifying for next seasons Champions league and getting knocked out in the 2nd round.

Time to focus on winning the league and automatically qualifying fir next years CL, more than the second best team in Liverpool will accomplish,  even with the hipster German at the helm.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

tyroneman

Quote from: Gold on February 23, 2016, 10:51:44 PM

Get rid of Wenger?! WTF? I was laughing to my mates saying wait till you hear the idiots on five live calling for Wenger's Head..and lo and behold what do we have here!

If you are a club whose ambition is to win the CL why would you keep him? He's further away than ever and repeats the same old mistakes year in year out. It looks fairly obvious that Arsenal will never win the CL with him at the helm as the gap between Arsenal and the Barca, Bayern etc from 2006 to the 2016 versions has only widened.

If all you want is top 4 and financial stability with some pretty football, then sure - keep him.

What's crazy is people thinking he's untouchable.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: stew on February 24, 2016, 10:17:15 AM
Quote from: laoislad on February 24, 2016, 08:04:12 AM

Time to focus on winning the league and automatically qualifying fir next years CL, more than the second best team in Liverpool will accomplish,  even with the hipster German at the helm.

;D ;D ;D

ONeill

The reality is that Ox and Walcott are shit. Are you're as good as your weakest link at that level. It's a sad chapter in Wenger's annals that he kept faith with those two fraudsters.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.