Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreverhopeful

Any word on a under-21 panel or what stage that at?
Any suggestions for team

Tubberman

Also, any word on whether the NFL opener v Gaillimh will go ahead under lights on night of Sat 6th or be pushed out to afternoon of Sun 7th?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on January 14, 2010, 12:51:15 AM
Any suggestions for team

Don't know where panel is at but they'll have some fun trying to pick a team.

I'd be guessing something along these lines

Robert Hennelly

Shane McHale  Kevin Keane  Keith Rogers

Lee Keegan  Kevin McLoughlin  Shane Nally

Jason Gibbons  Ger McDonagh

Cathal Freeman (if fit)  Aidan O'Shea  Cathal Carolan

Neil Douglas  Alan Freeman  Jason Doherty
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Tubberman

Yeah, it really is a very strong U21 panel this year - Galway and the Rossies should be strong as well, although the Sheepstealers chance might have gone last year in Charlestown.

It's going to be Monday before a decision is made on whether the league opener v Galway goes ahead on the Sat or Sun.

QuoteIT WILL NOW BE EARLY NEXT WEEK BEFORE A DECISION IS MADE ON WHETHER OR NOT MAYO'S CLASH WITH GALWAY WILL BE PLAYED UNDER LIGHTS AT MCHALE PARK ON SATURDAY FEB 6TH.
THE MAYO COUNTY BOARD HAD BEEN EXPECTED TO MAKE A DECISION ON THE MATTER THIS WEEK BUT A SPOKESPERSON HAS NOW CONFIRMED TO MIDWEST SPORT THAT IT WILL BE AT LEAST MONDAY BEFORE A FINAL CALL IS MADE ON THE GAME.
THE FIRST ROUND LEAGUE MEETING HAD BEEN DUE TO BE PLAYED UNDER FLOODLIGHTS AT MCHALE PARK ON SATURDAY FEB 6TH BUT AN APPEAL HAS BEEN LODGED AGAINST CASTLEBAR TOWN COUNCIL'S DECISION TO GRANT RETENTION PLANNING PERMISSION FOR THE STADIUM'S €10M REVAMP TO AN BORD PLEANALA.
THE APPEAL INCLUDES REFERENCE TO THE FLOODLIGHTS. IF THE GAME DOES NOT TAKE PLACE ON THE SATURDAY IT IS LIKELY TO GO AHEAD ON THE SUNDAY AFTERNOON.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Foreverhopeful

QuoteRobert Hennelly

Very strong looking,
throw in j cafferty, m walsh, s mcdermott, eoghan o reilly, aidan walsh

RedandGreenSniper

The strength of the panel is evidenced by the fact that three players from last year, Eoghan O'Reilly, Cathal Carolan and John Broderick will struggle. I think only Carolan will start. O'Reilly has actually improved since last year but we're so spoilt for choice in defence. We've a bright future ahead.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

The flame still burns

Foreverhopeful

doesnt look like much has changed for mayo really. Alan Feeney in at no. 3 instead of injured Caf. Vaughan and K higgins corner backs (same as v Meath when that lost us the game). Mikey Sweeney still being tried, too light and small. Will get the odd wonder goal because of his speed. Ronaldson scored 7, not sure how many from frees though. Andy Moran back in half forward line, should be our no.11. He is the best playmaker we have currently. If we could find a classy corner back we could be onto something. Trevor Howley for no.10?? Trev Mortimer for no. 6?

Foreverhopeful

Moytsider will be happy, turns out james burke is on the panel. Great stuff

diehard

Mark Ronaldson is very small but he is well worth sticking with at corner forward (not the half back line as an extra defender). He is very sure of his skills when showing for posession and is very clever in his use of the ball.  He is also a wholehearted player.
Certainly he gets bottled up from time to time but he can work on that aspect of his game.  And if he gets a sniff of goal he will finish.  Even if didn't make the starting 15 he offers something diferent coming off the bench that could unhook an opposing defence.
Sometimes a small, pacey, tricky guy can be an awful handful for a defender.

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on January 17, 2010, 04:08:22 PM
doesnt look like much has changed for mayo really. Alan Feeney in at no. 3 instead of injured Caf. Vaughan and K higgins corner backs (same as v Meath when that lost us the game). Mikey Sweeney still being tried, too light and small. Will get the odd wonder goal because of his speed. Ronaldson scored 7, not sure how many from frees though. Andy Moran back in half forward line, should be our no.11. He is the best playmaker we have currently. If we could find a classy corner back we could be onto something. Trevor Howley for no.10?? Trev Mortimer for no. 6?

I think you could be onto something with Andy Moran there. Not sure what to do with Trevor.

Good to see Burke getting time. What was the story with that panel anyway? Was it necessary to name a panel?

Foreverhopeful

i do like ronaldson because unlike sweeney he is a natural footballer. Sweeney's number one asset is his speed and that is why he is on the panel. Realistically he is not good enough. Ronaldson is very small but in a long line of small corner forward that mayo produce he is one of the best. A great finisher and it shows how much he was rated when he was played as an extra man in defence despite his lack of height and pounds. He does the right thing a lot more times than the majority of the mayo players. He could possibly fit into a system now that we have Aidan O"Shea + Barry Moran as targets in there. Sweeney and Ronaldson together in a team - NO.
Anyone tell me what kind of a player Kevin walsh is?? Scoring forward/hard-working.

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 14, 2010, 10:48:56 AM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on January 14, 2010, 12:51:15 AM
Any suggestions for team

Don't know where panel is at but they'll have some fun trying to pick a team.

I'd be guessing something along these lines

Robert Hennelly

The U21 team that played Kildare very similar, especially when you consider some lads would be involved elsewhere.

Robert Hennelly
Patrick Mulchrone
Shane McHale
David Gavin
Lee Keegan
Eoin O Reilly
Michael Gallagher
Ger McDonagh
Jason Gibbons
Cathal Carolan
Ray Geraghty
Jason Doherty
Aidan O Sé
Neil Douglas
Alan Freeman

Interesting that Kevin McLoughlin played at centre half forward for DIT. Think I v said before that there is where I m expecting him to feature on the under21s. Cant see him in the backs unless he s badly needed. We should have enough but no6 might be a problem?

Mayo4Sam

He certainly was the stand out forward at the county final, it's where I'd expect to see him for the seniors, he's an intelligent corner forward
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me