Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davitt Man

New format for junior championship
25 October 2007

The Mayo junior football championship may be in line for a change, as a new format was discussed at this weeks county board delegates meeting.

Vice-chairman Paddy McNicholas was the first to introduce the idea stating this years championship suffered from too many teams withdrawing and saying it was too unwieldy.

McNicholas claimed it would be to the benefit of the division if they adjusted the format to the one used at senior level with only 16 teams and all teams below to be separated into the Junior B championship.

Connacht Council secretary John Prenty claimed the suggested system would be unfair if used.

"Every club in the county has a right to play in, at the very least, Junior A championship. You cannot relegate an exclusive Junior team to Junior B level," noted Prenty

The format is set to be further discussed over the next month.

Davitt Man

Club Stars shortlist revealed

30 nominees in line for coveted club football awards

Mike Finnerty

COUNTY champions Ballina have secured seven nominations for the Mayo News/O'Neills Club Stars team announced today while former Mayo football legends, Colm McManamon and Gary Ruane, have also been shortlisted.
The 15 players and five replacements will be revealed at the third annual Club Stars banquet – in association with AIB – which will be held on Friday, November 30 at the TF Royal Hotel & Theatre, Castlebar.
Six players from beaten finalists Charlestown are also in contention for a Club Star award, which honours the cream of Mayo's club footballers. The final shake-up includes representatives of Knockmore, Ballaghaderreen, Breaffy, Crossmolina, Burrishoole and Moy Davitts. Five players from this year's Mayo Intermediate Championship have also been nominated as 'wild cards'.
All proceeds from the gala presentation night will go to the Mayo Branch of Down Syndrome Ireland. Nominees as well as family, friends and club supporters will attend the banquet.
The 30 players were selected by Mayo GAA Board secretary Sean Feeney, Mid West Radio analyst Eamonn Clarke, and Mayo News GAA writers Sean Rice and Austin Garvin. The quartet now face the task of further whittling down that list and selecting the 15 players and five replacements who will make up the 2006 team. This selection will be announced on the night.
"It's almost a completely different selection to last year," admitted Sean Rice. "There are only eight of the 30 players from last year this time around so it just goes to show how much has changed in the space of twelve months. Ballina, understandably, dominated the nominations but it was a very, very competitive championship and the likes of Charlestown, Ballaghaderreen and Knockmore feature prominently as a result of that.
"I think Ballintubber's achievement in winning their first Intermediate Championship since 1990 is reflected in the fact that three of their players are nominated," added Rice. "We were very impressed overall with the standard of club football in Mayo this season and the fact that clubs that didn't get out of the group stages are represented shows how competitive things are now."
The list of nominees include one Knockmore players seeking his third successive Club Stars award – John Brogan – with Damien Munnelly and Trevor Howley also nominated from the North Mayo club.
Two of Ballina's seven nominees were also nominated last year (Kenny Golden and Eanna Casey) while David Clarke, Martin Wynne, Colm Leonard, Ronan McGarritty and David Brady will also be representing the Stephenites.
Charlestown's fine season has been rewarded with nominations for Enda Casey, Kevin Deignan, Dermot Higgins, David Tiernan, Richard Haran and Tony Mulligan with near neighbours, Ballaghaderreen having Stephen Drake, James Kilcullen, Barry Regan and Andy Moran on the shortlist.
Stephen Rochford is the sole representative of quarter-finalists Crossmolina while Marty McNicholas flies the flag for Breaffy. Burrishoole half-back Conor Moran joins Colm McManamon from Newport as both are rewarded for a series of outstanding individual performances throughout the year.
This year, for the second time, nominees include players who were involved in the Intermediate Championship. The five players in this category are Ballintubber trio, Noel Gibbons, Tom Earley and Alan Dillon, Ballyhaunis defender Keith Higgins, and Kiltimagh talisman, Sean Malee.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Davitt Man on October 30, 2007, 01:53:33 PM

What do ye think of the nominations? Glad to see the Intermediates werent over looked.

Sean Malee had a great final and deserved his nomination.

If I had my way I would have Michael Hoban and Paul Early on there too but im looking at things through red and white tented glasses!

;)  ;D

stephenite

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 30, 2007, 02:47:49 PM
Quote from: Davitt Man on October 30, 2007, 01:53:33 PM

What do ye think of the nominations? Glad to see the Intermediates werent over looked.

Sean Malee had a great final and deserved his nomination.

If I had my way I would have Michael Hoban and Paul Early on there too but im looking at things through red and white tented glasses!

;)  ;D

It's hard to place too much value on any award system that has Sean Rice as it's judge

StoneWall

League fixtures for 2008. Only three home matches...Donegal, Kerry and Galway...

Round1
02.02.08 (Sat) @ 7.00pm
Derry v Mayo

Round 2
17.02.08 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
Mayo v Donegal

Round 3
01.03.08 (Sat) @ 7.00pm
Laois v Mayo

Round 4
16.03.08 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
Mayo v Kerry

Round 5
30.03.08 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
Kildare v Mayo

Round 6
06.04.2008 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
Mayo v Galway

Round 7
13.04.08 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
Tyrone v Mayo

mannix

Last night I watched the 06 final and the sunday game of the night.Unreal space and no marking in most of kerrys scores.Mayos lads allowed them to waltz through or else simply bounced off them.How or why Mayo did not come out all guns blazing with a 6 point deficit to overcome is hard to fathom, were kerry that good?Kevin oneill was fantastic but was subbed.Conor mort was absent and remained on to take tap over frees.Barry moran brought on at ff but no high ball dropped on him,6 foot 5 inches.

Did mm not have any ideas before the game or were they just standing there watching in disbelief?One thing is certain,when mayo did get going near half time they were well able to play.I know its water under the bridge now but it sticks in my throat when i see our best being embarassed by anyone they are able for.

We have better players than most,a strong club scene,reputedly one great manager and yet tamely lied down for a mediocre derry team this year.Can JOM knock the softness out of the team, they were soft,soft soft against kerry in 06 and derry in 07.Only d brady and billy joe gave any kerry lad a clatter or something to think about that day, where was the pride in the jersey or themselves or the will to succeed after  busting their asses for the previous year in training.Is jom wasting our time or does he care?
Lack of belief against kerry is a major problem after all this decade has delivered, a big change in personnel and tactics is probably the only way up for us now.
Any agree or disagree?

Farrandeelin

I remember reading a piece by Ger Loughnane after the 06 final. He reckons Mayo football could be in real trouble after that hiding. He makes the point that Clare hurlers had the same fate, albeit at provincial level, but Mayo have it at national level, i.e. once Clare finally banished the demons in 95 they could go on to win better things which happened, but Mayo's isn't at provincial level that it's at national level and he cannot see Mayo winning anything for a long time.

I for one am sad to say I agree with him unless O'Mahony can put some fire in the bellies and get a few men who aren't afreid to hit and go after every ball. Remember too that we haven't won a connacht minor title since 2001, another awful statistic.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

highking

Quote from: Davitt Man on October 24, 2007, 08:17:42 AM
A DIFFERENT LEAGUE

Relegation play-offs are disputed by John Prenty

Exclusive
Edwin McGreal

CONNACHT Council Secretary John Prenty and members of the executive of the Mayo GAA Board were at odds last night over how the format for relegation in the County League work.
Clubs had been informed via the Mayo GAA Fixtures Booklet (issued by the County Board) that the bottom two teams in each section would go into play-offs with the corresponding teams from the other section in their division. The two losing teams would be relegated, according to the booklet.
However, John Prenty argued at last night's County Board delegates meeting that the Mayo GAA Board could run into difficulty if any club appealed against the relegation rulings. Prenty argued that, because the initial plan of automatically relegating the bottom team in each section (with no play-offs) was passed at the meeting of January 23, the minutes of that meeting had to be amended for any changes to come into being.
He went on to argue that although the relegation rulings as they currently stand were passed at the next meeting [in February], the fact that the February meeting also passed the January minutes without any amendments has created a problem.
"The February meeting approved two different things with regard to relegation," Prenty told delegates. "There needed to be an amendment to the original relegation standing passed by a two-thirds majority and this didn't happen. What I'm asking is will they (the current relegation procedures) stand up to scrutiny on appeal?"
After several arguments from members of the County Board executive such as Secretary Seán Feeney, Chairman James Waldron and Vice-Chairman Paddy McNicholas were countered by Prenty from his position at the back of the hall, County Board assistant treasurer, Cathal Hennelly, asked mischievously, 'Has Prenty the County Board over a barrel?'
However, Seán Feeney told The Mayo News that he was confident that the procedures will not be subject to any successful appeal.
"We're confident we're on a solid footing. We're proceeding on the basis of what we set out to do, that is the bottom two from each section will go into a play-off. We're confident we'll beat him on this one."
Meanwhile, Mayo minor manager, Ray Dempsey, Under-21 manager, Pat Holmes and senior hurling manager, Martin Brennan were all ratified for another year without any objections at last night's meeting

Senior Football League Division 1, Relegation Playoffs Sun 04 Nov
Castlebar v Louisburgh, Ref: C. Collins in Castlebar at 1:00
Cill tSeadhna v Shrule-Glencorrib, Ref: M. Daly in Castlebar at 2:30

The above games are postponed this weekend. The County Secretary has received appeals from Ballyhaunis, Louisburgh and
Shrule-Glencorrib.

Looks as if someone has been on the phne in recent days to secure his clubs Division 2 status!!!!

rosnarun

1955 was the one we really let slip. too much favoritism in team selection and not to have done a double in the 30's winning all those leagues still sticks in my craw.

06 is history. get over it. the players have to .
besides we have our messiah in place now nothing can go wrong
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

muppet

QuoteHowever, John Prenty argued at last night's County Board delegates meeting that the Mayo GAA Board could run into difficulty if any club appealed against the relegation rulings. Prenty argued that, because the initial plan of automatically relegating the bottom team in each section (with no play-offs) was passed at the meeting of January 23, the minutes of that meeting had to be amended for any changes to come into being.
He went on to argue that although the relegation rulings as they currently stand were passed at the next meeting [in February], the fact that the February meeting also passed the January minutes without any amendments has created a problem.
"The February meeting approved two different things with regard to relegation," Prenty told delegates.

This is hilarious. I wish I was there.

I don't know the story and I can only go on what was written above.

Prenty seems to argue that they made a decision in January and then changed it in February but because they approved the minutes of the Jan meeting in Feb that they contradicted themselves. He is saying that they approved the new system at the Feb meeting and thus de facto approved the old system by accepting the Jan minutes.  He doesn't mention whether they approved the Feb minutes at the next meeting (presumably in March) which would then mean that the March meeting approved the contradictory minutes from the Feb meeting which of course approved the Jan decision. This gets confusing of course because the March meeting would only refer to the Feb minutes and not the January minutes but if he wants the January minutes amended then the Feb meeting couldn't be recorded as having approved them and they would have to be also amended setting off a chain reaction into March and so on. Clear as mud really.

Of course the minutes issue could be just a red herring as they are merely required to be a record of motions, proposals and amendments with the odd conversation throw in.  ::) ::)
MWWSI 2017

mannix

Are Mayo playing challenge games? Heard they played a few recently and wondered if any new heads were playing?

blast05

We hammered Bridgids off the park there a week ago so i'm told.
Parsons was in midfield, Tom Cunniffe at centre back, Damien Munnelly and Prenty in the forward line and .......... BJP at full back

Farrandeelin

BJP full back, is his next position to be goalie I wonder? ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Davitt Man

Were the division 1 relegation matchs on this weekend??

Davitt Man

mayo county board are the greatest shower going, there were calls for their heads when confusion arose over the championship draws and now they've thrown the relegation playoffs into disarray once again. louisburgh and shrule have objections in because of some confusing changes to the relegation formatt. castlebar and kiltane were due to meet both these teams this wend and it has been postponed, apparently going to connaught council for help in matter. same thing happened with championship earlier in the year but clubs didnt object.fair play to the teams that have objected even though i feel sorry for all players concerned as the season looks to extend longer. the county board are so incompetent it's laughable. time for this board to be totally cleaned out, before 2008...