Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 22, 2018, 12:38:02 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 22, 2018, 12:27:58 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 22, 2018, 09:52:41 AM
No surprises with that last night. Exactly what was expected. More of the same rubbish. Sometimes you have to be pragmatic and play conservatively but this was Sevilla, not Barcelona or Bayern or Real and this type of rubbish is now unfortunately the norm. 0-0 away in the first leg is a terribly dangerous score and especially for a team that score very few goals against decent opposition. I still think United will go through but with the players United have and the money that has been spent they should be taking out the likes of Sevilla. Contrast United's tactics to those of Spurs and Liverpool who I don't believe have better squads. The bottom line is Mourinho is not a Manchester United manager and never will be. He's a scrubber.

Delighted at the emergence of McTominay. He looks a real player and last night was probably the most pressure situation he was in and he has no problems.

I think United will go through but it could be a hairy evening.

Aye,
    but he's a stopper, a tackler and all that. The type of player Josie likes. He's not the most creative soul with the ball at his feet.

I think he's more than that to be honest. Maroon Manc will fill us on more on this but McTominay was a small midfield schemer like a Modric and suddenly grew 5 or 6 inches in a year. The technical ability is there.

Correction - he grew 10 inches in 2 years. From 5'6" to 6'4".

Technically very good and the comparisons too Carrick are pretty obvious with the similar style if he turns out to be as good or better he will be a very good player.

Think the team are low on confience currently and combine that with the pragmatic style of JM it was always going to be a stale affair. DDG again some massive saves.

Feel sorry for Herrera thought he was really going to make the push this year but injury and lack of game time seem to stunted another season for him.

Taylor

Through all of this it seems M Seanie has been correct from the beginning about Maureen.

Players would have been attracted to Utd because of the way they used to play and that they are one of the biggest clubs in the world.
Nowadays if you go to Utd you will play stale, sterile football week in week out and you run the risk of getting slated in public by the manager or similar.

Manchester is blue for the forseeable future people

Milltown Row2

No surprises with that last night. Exactly what was expected. More of the same rubbish. Sometimes you have to be pragmatic and play conservatively but this was Sevilla, not Barcelona or Bayern or Real and this type of rubbish is now unfortunately the norm. 0-0 away in the first leg is a terribly dangerous score and especially for a team that score very few goals against decent opposition. I still think United will go through but with the players United have and the money that has been spent they should be taking out the likes of Sevilla. Contrast United's tactics to those of Spurs and Liverpool who I don't believe have better squads. The bottom line is Mourinho is not a Manchester United manager and never will be. He's a scrubber.

Delighted at the emergence of McTominay. He looks a real player and last night was probably the most pressure situation he was in and he has no problems.

Aye,
    but he's a stopper, a tackler and all that. The type of player Josie likes. He's not the most creative soul with the ball at his feet.

I think he's more than that to be honest. Maroon Manc will fill us on more on this but McTominay was a small midfield schemer like a Modric and suddenly grew 5 or 6 inches in a year. The technical ability is there.

I was waiting on that happening to me but just stayed at 5'6  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Taylor on February 22, 2018, 12:49:56 PM
Through all of this it seems M Seanie has been correct from the beginning about Maureen.

Players would have been attracted to Utd because of the way they used to play and that they are one of the biggest clubs in the world.
Nowadays if you go to Utd you will play stale, sterile football week in week out and you run the risk of getting slated in public by the manager or similar.

Manchester is blue for the forseeable future people

I think the EPL is blue for as long as Pepe stays
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maroon Manc

Aye,

I've seen very little of him, always seem to be injured when I watching or when he wasn't playing and he wasn't one you'd be watching. I think it could be a few years before we see how good he can be, he's technically very good but we haven't seen much of him on the ball yet bar the odd moment where he breaks out of conservatism.

Milltown Row2

Listen it was 90 minutes of my life i wont get back.. but it served a purpose, stepping stone possibly to the next round, this wasnt a group match or a league game, knockout footballl where no one remembers the losers...

What do fans want? winners or losers who play with flair? Its a hard pill to swallow but Utd are not the team of yesterday! 

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 22, 2018, 02:51:20 PM
Listen it was 90 minutes of my life i wont get back.. but it served a purpose, stepping stone possibly to the next round, this wasnt a group match or a league game, knockout footballl where no one remembers the losers...

What do fans want? winners or losers who play with flair? Its a hard pill to swallow but Utd are not the team of yesterday!

I know what you are saying, but it's not mutually exclusive. Did Hamann enjoyed sticking the boot in last night, and I thought it was crazy considering United are ahead of Liverpool all season. He did, however, make one good point. There's nothing wrong with being solid and hard to break down. That's a skill in itself, and it's one I wish Liverpool were better at. However when you have the ball, you have to be creative. Man United can call on Pogba, Mata, Rashford, Lindegard, Martial, Lukaku, Sanchez etc. Surely they can be more adventurous when they have the ball?

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 22, 2018, 03:07:59 PM

I know what you are saying, but it's not mutually exclusive. Did Hamann enjoyed sticking the boot in last night, and I thought it was crazy considering United are ahead of Liverpool all season. He did, however, make one good point. There's nothing wrong with being solid and hard to break down. That's a skill in itself, and it's one I wish Liverpool were better at. However when you have the ball, you have to be creative. Man United can call on Pogba, Mata, Rashford, Lindegard, Martial, Lukaku, Sanchez etc. Surely they can be more adventurous when they have the ball?

They can't be with this coach. He won't allow it.

AZOffaly

I know. That's sort of what I'm saying. I think if Mourinho trusted his players more, they'd be a lot more expansive with the ball. He actually reminds me of Jimmy McGuinness and what he did with the likes of Michael Murphy.

magpie seanie

This is the way he has always been. It's why I cannot stand him and opposed him since it was first mooted that he could become United manager. It's why Bobby Charlton and Alex Ferguson didn't want him as United manager but were ultimately overruled by people who only give a shit about money.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 22, 2018, 03:11:56 PM
I know. That's sort of what I'm saying. I think if Mourinho trusted his players more, they'd be a lot more expansive with the ball. He actually reminds me of Jimmy McGuinness and what he did with the likes of Michael Murphy.
While that was definitely the case last night, you could argue the flair players you mentioned earlier haven't shown enough in the last month or so to allow him to give them more rope in an away European tie.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on February 22, 2018, 03:17:24 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 22, 2018, 03:11:56 PM
While that was definitely the case last night, you could argue the flair players you mentioned earlier haven't shown enough in the last month or so to allow him to give them more rope in an away European tie.

When has he let them off the leash though? Everything seems to be stodgy with him.

Cunny Funt

Dour away draws also happened in Fergusons time and its probably best to wait to see how the 2nd leg goes. What some seem to forget last night was Uniteds first champions league knock out tie for 4 years and they have lost their last two away games in the knock outs which includes a 2-0 defeat to the might of Olympiacos. They are not the flamboyant side of old that regularly reached the latter stages of this competition.  What you have now is a side that are still in transition not just from Fergusons retirement but a side still cleaning up the mess that VanGaal and Moyes left behind. Joses style of play was well known before he arrived, his teams are mostly functional and dour matches are more common under his management though it should be noted the football played under VanGaal was even worse and with less progress made.

J70

Is the point not that with United's riches and standing that they should be able to have both?

Ferguson's teams ebbed and flowed in terms of at the attractiveness of the football (I thought the days of Kanchelskis and Giggs flying up the wings were the best, personally) and played pragmatic football when necessary, but they rarely hit the consistent dourness of this Mourinho team (this is the man who criticized Big Sam for "19th century football" a few years back). If Sevilla was a once-off, no one would be saying anything.

I remember Liverpool being celebrated for grinding out a 0-0 away to Juve in 2005, but that was with a team missing vital players and with Djimi Traore, Igor Biscan and Antonio f**king Nunez in the line-up and up against Del Piero, Ibrahimovic, Cannavaro, Nedved, Buffon and the rest. Plus, football has changed since then and 0-0s away from home are no longer a prized result with the capability of most decent teams now to score a goal or two away.

Maroon Manc

It hasn't been like this all season, there's been some poor performance against the smaller clubs but there's been plenty of times United have been good to watch which is been ignored.

Mourinho though will always be cautious against the top teams which I have no problem with.

United are just not very cohesive though but if he can fix that then we might have a great end to the season.

The back 4 still can't be trusted, both fullbacks are 30 + wingers and Shaw hasn't returned to his form prior the injury. As for the centre halfs, its non stop injuries with Bailly, Jones & Rojo.

Win the FA CUP and improve our league performances and I'll be happy with the end of the season.