young lad racially abused down in Carlow

Started by his holiness nb, July 24, 2008, 01:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Terrible situation, must be strongly condemned as it has been by both clubs involved, but realistically little else can be done. The offenders are most likely not club members, and even if they were identified ground bans are incredibly difficult if not impossible to enforce. Best action is a strong show of support for the victim and his family by all G.A.A. members within the county

carnaross

Absolutely no place for this on any GAA field (or anywhere for that matter). Interesting to note that neither of the managers admitted to hearing it - to me, that's a cop-out. I wasn't there myself, but neither, I imagine, were many others, so they both appear to be sticking their heads in the sand. The County Board should investigate thoroughly and those involved dealt with, however, when paople, say they didn't hear anything, how can it be dealt with adequately?

On a mischievous note - was the goalkeeper legal since he comes from the north of England, as his father stated?
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

thejuice

>:( This has really pissed me off. I said this over 2 years ago that the GAA needs to have some kind legislation and disciplinary procedures for incidents of racism. It was inevitable that with increased numbers of people from different ethnic groups playing GAA that some thick c***ts are going to be racially abusing players. Of course we'll probably have Nicky Brennan going, "Oh we've never encountered this type a thing before".

Anyone racially abusing another player should get suspended for a year, anyone giving racist abuse form the sidelines should be ejected from the stadiums and banned form attending games. Any adults racially abusing or encouraging racist behavior at an underage game should be given a lifetime ban from the GAA and teams should be fined  and thrown out of competitions.

There should also a anti-racist campaign set up by the GAA just like "Give racism the boot" that should be promoted in all stadia around the country and backed by the players in ad campaigns and displays before matches. A very VERY clear message needs to be sent by the GAA that racism will not be tolerated in any form.

Also people need to grow a pair of balls and and stand up to confront people being racist at games. It makes it easier if decent people group together to have these people removed, because if only one person does it these ignoramuses will no doubt turn on them.

GET RACISM OUT OF THE GAA
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thebandit

There was a young lad playing at half time in the Ulster final from a Fermanagh school with a Polish name. Surely a county the size of Fermanagh could be doing with a big strong lad of Polish origin!

Kick it out.

heffo

From the Sunday Indo - July '07:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/why-racism-and-violence-cannot-be-tolerated-on-any-gaa-pitch-892479.html
---------

AS A lifelong GAA supporter and former intercounty player - minor hurling for Offaly and senior for Louth, if you must know - I had never placed much store in the usual media hue and cry that accompanies 'schmozzles' which occasionally break out during games.

For me, and I suspect for many other GAA fans, they were always part and parcel of the game and, I felt, sometimes added to the spectacle. But since I have become an underage mentor, I have firmly changed my mind, and I will tell you why.

But first let me address a related issue which will, I feel, become a problem for the GAA if the association does not now urgently take steps to address it.

It should do so in the first instance by holding a series of talks involving proper intercounty stars in clubs and schools throughout the country, and secondly, imposing stiff penalties on clubs where the issue of racism arises.

I was in Croke Park last Sunday when, at half-time, a group of young players displayed their skills to the entertainment of all. Dublin had a young black goalkeeper, while the announcer told us that Italian and Polish players were on the Offaly side.

This is as expected as it is welcome. The large number of immigrants here in recent years will hopefully see players from Eastern Europe and Africa emerge as the stars of the future, that is, if they are not put off by a racist undertone which I believe quietly exists at some levels within the association.

That is not to say that the GAA is a racist organisation. In my view, nothing could be further from the truth. One of the heartening developments within the GAA in recent years is its embracing of members of all religions and none, and from all backgrounds too.

I am a coach of an U-11 hurling team of which my son is a squad member. Our club is progressive, dynamic even, compared to the days when I was togging out as a youngster. Indeed, most clubs in Dublin are. GAA clubhouses are, more than ever, the hub of the community for all those who want to involve themselves.

A few months ago a young boy from Nigeria, who attends the local Church of Ireland school, joined our squad. Every week he enthusiastically participates in training, visibly progressing to the point that he has commanded a spot on the full-back line of our B team and pushing hard for a place on the A team.

At a recent game he was the subject of racist abuse from opposing players. Neither I nor the referee heard it, but a father of one of our players did. Last week, I was asked to contribute to a referee's report which is being sent to Dublin county board.

The following is an edited extract of my report:

"I was patrolling the sideline between the two games, keeping an eye on both matches, but primarily focusing on the B game.

"One of our players . . . from Nigeria, was playing corner back on the B team. He is a very friendly, happy boy, who has made great strides since joining our club. He is developing as an excellent young hurler.

"On the evening in question he was playing a fine game on our full-back line, consistently getting in front of the player he was marking and clearing a substantial amount of ball.

"During the games I became aware of an atmosphere emanating from a group of . . . parents, also on the sideline, about two metres behind me. They seemed critical of certain refereeing decisions in the A game. From what I had seen of the game, I thought their criticism was unfounded and their reaction, generally, over the top.

"In any event, I witnessed a . . . player pull his hurley illegally across one of our players. The referee . . . had in my view no option but to send him off. The offending player left the field, flinging his hurley on the ground.

"Meanwhile, at the end of the B match . . . some of our players told me that certain comments were being directed towards [our player] throughout the game. I was not made aware of this at half time. From what the boys said, these comments were clearly racist in tone, and had obviously upset [our player]. I, too, was disturbed to hear that such comments were being made, even though I did not hear them first hand.

"When the match had ended, the [opposition team] players were gathered in a group with some of their mentors and/or parents.

"[Our player] ran towards the group, singling out one player, who he pushed. A scuffle of sorts ensued, before I managed to pull [our player] away. He was crying, and deeply upset. [He] told me the boy had made comments that he was 'black'.

"I did not hear these comments, nor did I ascertain whether [our player's] reaction was provoked by comments made during the match or by comments made when the match was over.

"I took [him] aside and assured him that such comments were intolerable, and that he was "among friends" with his team mates. He calmed down quickly enough. I recall him leaving the pitch, his arms around two of his team mates.

"I also recall seeing somebody I presumed to be [an Opposition team] mentor speaking sternly with one of his young players, stating at one stage that he "would not be welcome in the club". I do not know the issue between them, and do not know if this was the boy who had directed racist comments . . . But I was happy that the mentor concerned seemed to be taking stern action."

From this report, you will see that racism is not only a potential problem at underage level, but also that violence is.

Recently, much has been said and written about a 'schmozzle' between Cork and Clare intercounty stars, perpetrated in front of a group of children.

I am now convinced this kind of behaviour contributes substantially to a situation where an U-11 player will quite violently pull his hurley across an opposing player. The boy concerned should have been reprimanded on the sideline by his mentors and other adults watching. He wasn't.

If intercounty stars have a responsibility in this regard, as does the GAA generally, then so do we parents.

- Jody Corcoran

dublinfella

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 24, 2008, 01:42:03 PM

This happens all the time in soccer.

Always the benchmark to soccer.  ::)

There was a similar incident at a Shels game, the guy involved immediatly arrested and banned for life. No comment yet from the GAA on this. The difference is striking.

This isn't one of those things the GAA can look down on others on. The precedent was set by not sending Graham Geraghty home from the Aussie series when he racially abused one of them.

Jinxy

Quote from: dublinfella on July 25, 2008, 02:37:42 PM

There was a similar incident at a Shels game, the guy involved immediatly arrested and banned for life. No comment yet from the GAA on this. The difference is striking.

This isn't one of those things the GAA can look down on others on. The precedent was set by not sending Graham Geraghty home from the Aussie series when he racially abused one of them.

From todays Indo.

GAA issues racism apology

By Cliona Foley

Friday July 25 2008

THE GAA will present several motions to Congress next April which will enshrine binding anti-racism measures in the official rule-book.

This radical move emerged when Croke Park and Carlow County Board officials had to issue a strongly worded apology yesterday to a young juvenile footballer who was racially abused in an underage club game last Monday.

The report that a 13-year-old Eire Og player suffered racist abuse in the U-14 FC semi-final against O'Hanrahans in a Carlow town derby came as a particular blow to the association because it prides itself on the integration policy it already has in place.

"The GAA's total rejection of racism, and its proactivity in integration, renders the reported incident in Carlow, albeit an isolated one, a huge disappointment," the GAA admitted yesterday when it offered its unreserved apology to Teboga Sebala and his family.

A statement from the central authorities and Carlow County Board "strongly and unequivocally condemned reports of a serious racist incident at an underage game in Carlow where a player of African origin was verbally abused by spectators."

The local board and its own Coiste na nOg (juvenile section) immediately promised to investigate the matter "with a view to having the perpetrators severely sanctioned" and said this process has already started.

The GAA's primary school body -- Cumann na mBunscol -- is particularly involved in introducing young immigrants to Gaelic games.

And there are already many senior initiatives at provincial and county level designed to attract new communities to take up the sports.

The GAA set up a task force with ladies' football and camogie last January to develop an integration strategy and stressed that they are consulting widely on this with representative groups and the relevant government ministry.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

mylestheslasher

It makes me truly sick to my stomach when I hear this type of thing happening. I remember at my own club in Cavan a young protestant lad being abused with sectarian comments at a match and after the match. The abuser was an active club member and his club forced him to attend an emergency board meeting of my club to offer a public apology and the issue went no further. Now this protestant guy was in his 20's and had heard it all before and let it lie at that. What we have here is totally disgraceful, people abusing children. That kid must have felt very alone when this was happening. First off, his manager should have called his team of  the field and refused to play until those "supporters" were ejected. Secondly, the names of the people involved should be given up by the club involved and those people should be report to the Gardai. If names are not forthcoming the club should be banned or fined so that it hurts them big time. Prejuduces should be left at the gate when entering a GAA field. Agree the GAA needs  to urgently come up with a procedure on how to behave when this happens.

dublinfella

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 25, 2008, 03:17:22 PM
Dublinfella telling lies again!

Hardly a lie, I didn't see the paper today. Either way, it took them 5 days to comment yet shels reacted instantly.

Is a problem in the GAA and handwringing about soccer won't cut it. It needs to be dealt with and now. The GAA are signed up to the 'show racism the red card' campaign. Has any club recieved literature on it? I did a bit of stewarding and the FAI insist all stewards have read it and sign that they have done so. Do the GAA insist on it? Take a wild guess.

blasmere

Quote from: hardstation on July 25, 2008, 03:33:49 PM
Shower of cnuts.

I remember a funny incident a rake of years back. Every year, St. Gall's in Belfast hold a May day tournament for P5s. A Belfast club (Rossa) had a black* lad playing midfield for them, Abdul. A class player. Anyway, they were in the final and a crowd had gathered to watch the game. The Rossa manager was running along the line shouting "Good lad, Abdul." "Your ball, Abdul." etc. An aul doll came up to the manager during the game and gave out heaps to him for calling the lad Abdul. She called him a racist b**tard and everything. He went and got his teamsheet and said, "Missus, Abdul is his f**king name."

*Can I say that?

Of course you can!!, I think using the term "coloured" is seen as more offensive (to some)
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on July 25, 2008, 02:37:42 PM

Maybe if there was the need for multiple Gardai at under 14 gaa games these guys would have been caught and banned.
I'd be suprised if there were any gardai at an under 14 GAA or soccer game.
But fair play to Shels for banning the guy once the Gardai identified him.

Why not compare it to something on a similar level, like underage soccer sunday league games around the country where this happens regularly? Theres no Gardai to identify the culprits, and therefore nobody reports anyone.
Its the very same in both sports. We are depending on the fans themselves to identify these people so action can be taken, sadly this doesnt seem to be happening.

My comment (benchmark to soccer) was due to the media reaction compared to when it happens in soccer games. Either way its disgraceful.

Ask me holy bollix

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: thejuice on July 25, 2008, 11:02:16 AM
>:( This has really pissed me off. I said this over 2 years ago that the GAA needs to have some kind legislation and disciplinary procedures for incidents of racism. It was inevitable that with increased numbers of people from different ethnic groups playing GAA that some thick c***ts are going to be racially abusing players. Of course we'll probably have Nicky Brennan going, "Oh we've never encountered this type a thing before".

Anyone racially abusing another player should get suspended for a year, anyone giving racist abuse form the sidelines should be ejected from the stadiums and banned form attending games. Any adults racially abusing or encouraging racist behavior at an underage game should be given a lifetime ban from the GAA and teams should be fined  and thrown out of competitions.

There should also a anti-racist campaign set up by the GAA just like "Give racism the boot" that should be promoted in all stadia around the country and backed by the players in ad campaigns and displays before matches. A very VERY clear message needs to be sent by the GAA that racism will not be tolerated in any form.

Also people need to grow a pair of balls and and stand up to confront people being racist at games. It makes it easier if decent people group together to have these people removed, because if only one person does it these ignoramuses will no doubt turn on them.

GET RACISM OUT OF THE GAA

Hear, hear! Loud and clear!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

dublinfella

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 25, 2008, 05:12:38 PM

Maybe if there was the need for multiple Gardai at under 14 gaa games these guys would have been caught and banned.
I'd be suprised if there were any gardai at an under 14 GAA or soccer game.
But fair play to Shels for banning the guy once the Gardai identified him.

Why not compare it to something on a similar level, like underage soccer sunday league games around the country where this happens regularly? Theres no Gardai to identify the culprits, and therefore nobody reports anyone.
Its the very same in both sports. We are depending on the fans themselves to identify these people so action can be taken, sadly this doesnt seem to be happening.

My comment (benchmark to soccer) was due to the media reaction compared to when it happens in soccer games. Either way its disgraceful.

But they were identified. They then threatned the wife of a member of the club. Yet still no-one took action. At one level there isnt a lot clubs can do here, but these racists were identified and tackled. Yet still no action.

The media reaction argument is a red herring. There is precious little racism in Irish sport, but there is less of a story if prompt and decicive action is taken, as in soccers case, then no action at all.