young lad racially abused down in Carlow

Started by his holiness nb, July 24, 2008, 01:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 24, 2008, 02:52:01 PM
You're on a disciplinary committee  :o Talk about lunatics running the asylum  ::)

Oh that it were a Westmeath disciplinary committee Croi, oh that it were!

his holiness nb

There is a lot of casual racism going round GAA circles that people see as "just a bit of craic".
I've heard some very racist remarks thrown at Jason Sherlock from opposition AND Dublin fans over the years.
Ask me holy bollix

Tempoman

Something similar happened at the feile na nog in the cavan area this year. Some young fellas on the team over from London got some racial abuse shouted at them by the opposing manager. The manager was sent to the stands. From what i know, that was the end of it. Its disgusting behaviour.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Tempoman on July 24, 2008, 03:18:24 PM
Something similar happened at the feile na nog in the cavan area this year. Some young fellas on the team over from London got some racial abuse shouted at them by the opposing manager. The manager was sent to the stands. From what i know, that was the end of it. Its disgusting behaviour.

Strict rules need to be set. heres an example of a ref catching a guy in the act. A manager of the team. And all that happened was he was sent to the stands??
Whatever about supporters which are more difficult to control, players or managers CAUGHT dishing out racist abuse should be severely dealt with.
Ask me holy bollix

Jinxy

That is f*cking disgraceful. It's bad enough kids having a go at each other. Never mind being sent to the stands, he should have been dragged behind the stands for an attitude adjustment.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on July 24, 2008, 03:44:48 PM

That is f*cking disgraceful. It's bad enough kids having a go at each other. Never mind being sent to the stands, he should have been dragged behind the stands for an attitude adjustment.

There was an U8 non-competitive game in Dublin recently where a seven year old kid was called a fat cun* by the opposing line and one of the mentors physically prevented the away team kids boarding the bus after the game until they found out whether they 'bangers'

Rossfan

No place for racist abuse in our games and it should be made clear by HQ that this is not on.

p.s while we are at it can we also get opposing players and fans to stop calling lads  baldy/ginger/fat etc bastards while we are at it.

p p s Easy known it was a Dub started the thread with his "down" in Carlow. If I hear Michael Lyster( from the ****ole of Galway) once more referring to everyplace as "DOWN in .... " I'll smash the bloody telly.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

What's wrong with that RossFan? Lysters in Dublin, and culchies (like us) say 'Up to the match', or 'Up to Dublin'. Maybe lads from Tyrone say 'down to Dublin'. It's harmless enough I think.

Down the country - Up in Dublin.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Rossfan on July 24, 2008, 04:22:53 PM
Easy known it was a Dub started the thread with his "down" in Carlow. If I hear Michael Lyster( from the ****ole of Galway) once more referring to everyplace as "DOWN in .... " I'll smash the bloody telly.

Well I do live North of Carlow  ;)

I tend to go down, up and over to places based on their position from my house.

Full of my own self importance me  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Tankie

Racism is a lack of education by people and nothing else, you see it more so in lower/working class in which GAA and Soccer have alot of member so we should not be shocked by this but clubs who find their members involved in this behanior should act strongly!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Zapatista

Quote from: Tankie on July 24, 2008, 04:45:12 PM
Racism is a lack of education by people and nothing else, you see it more so in lower/working class in which GAA and Soccer have alot of member so we should not be shocked by this but clubs who find their members involved in this behanior should act strongly!

You see it more in working class areas for many reasons. The biggest reason it is seen in working class areas is the fact that working class people tend to be more exposed to the negative aspects of multicultureism and vise versa.

Non Irish Nationals usually take up lower paid jobs as do working class irish people. Non Irish Nationals usually take up cheaper accommodation as working class Irish do. Non Irish Nationals live with working class Irish Nationals in many more areas than the middle class do. This is not an accident either.

moysider

Racism is endemic in this country. We re red rotten with it and its everywhere, schools, work, and of course football. Young people - who ve never had it so good are the worst. The anti -'Polish' attitude around here is unbelievable among kids - no doubt coming from homes that had picture of the old Pope on the walls.

That nobody could get a bunch of young ones in Carlow to shut it defies belief. Wish I was there.

As regards abusive mentors. Always knew there was lunatics involver in underage especially. But if they are left in charge after behaviour described here then the Association indeed has a problem.

Red Sea

It's time for the GAA to grow a pair of balls and ban those parents and/or children from the game for Life!! It's racists idiots like those that keep talented youngers from different backrounds away from playing the gaa!! It is shame to see that racist pricks are still alive and well in this country!! Speaks volumes for people from Carlow...[Edited by Mod3]

Red Sea, this is your last warning. In practically every post you've made you've insulted someone, somewhere or something.

Tankie

Quote from: moysider on July 24, 2008, 04:57:03 PM
Racism is endemic in this country. We re red rotten with it and its everywhere, schools, work, and of course football. Young people - who ve never had it so good are the worst. The anti -'Polish' attitude around here is unbelievable among kids - no doubt coming from homes that had picture of the old Pope on the walls.

That nobody could get a bunch of young ones in Carlow to shut it defies belief. Wish I was there.

As regards abusive mentors. Always knew there was lunatics involver in underage especially. But if they are left in charge after behaviour described here then the Association indeed has a problem.

i hate racism, it just annoys me so much. i have some mates who make racist joke and have the mobile phone things that go around, we have now hit the stage they dont even send them to me as thay know how annoyed i get.

I think too many people are too passive about it when they hear it but we need to stand up and say no to this type of thing
Grand Slam Saturday!

magpie seanie

Quotethere is no specific rule to sanction members of the GAA for racism

There is a rule about discrediting the association which I think is tailor made for cases like this and should be applied in these cases.

Its disgusting to hear of this type of behaviour. It has no place in society and certainly not in gaelic games. The perpetrators have no place at our matches and it should be made fairly clear to them that this is the case. Absolutely scummy carry on.

Most people in Ireland aren't racist but its definitely there and I feel its getting worse if anything. Certain sections of society made ridiculous money without killing themselves work wise in recent times and they are now in competition with hungrier, harder working immigrants for a slice of a diminishing pie. This is going to lead to problems.

The newspaper/media coverage is very much a secondary issue. As someone here stated the GAA is at the heart of everything in this country so its a bit of a back handed compliment to the GAA that they focus more incidents happening at our games rather than the minor(ity) pursuits.