You know the GAA is in decline when......................

Started by From the Bunker, July 19, 2016, 12:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

when everones forget all previous bad games because there was one last week

PAL
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

muppet

Quote from: sid waddell on July 19, 2016, 10:58:17 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2016, 08:55:08 AM
When the Leinster football final has it's smallest attendance in over 30 years.
Lowest in 12 years.

38,300 attended the Westmeath-Laois replay in 2004.

The Leinster Football Final attendance for 2004 would be the combined attendance of the drawn game and the replay.
MWWSI 2017

sid waddell

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 20, 2016, 01:15:08 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 20, 2016, 11:38:27 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2016, 11:55:45 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 19, 2016, 10:58:17 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2016, 08:55:08 AM
When the Leinster football final has it's smallest attendance in over 30 years.
Lowest in 12 years.

38,300 attended the Westmeath-Laois replay in 2004.

A replay of two of the smallest populations in Leinster (roughly 80k each) with the game played on a working day?
There are about three proper non-working days a year, pal.

Sunday is a working day these days.

The point was made that it was the lowest crowd at a Leinster final for 30 years. Which is an erroneous point.

Firstly, I'm not you PAL! I find a reply like that derogatory!

Secondly, Replays are renowned for lower attendances.

Thirdly, I'd say the original stat was based on non replays.

Fourthly, the game was played on a Saturday. I know because i was there!

Fifthly, as I said these are small counties population wise. That would be 80% of the optimum attendance you would expect at such a game.
Sorry, bud.

Yes I know the game was played on a Saturday. Big GAA games are regularly played on a Saturday. All-Ireland finals have been played on Saturdays. 

If Saturday is a "working day", then so is Sunday. I'm always puzzled about people calling Saturday a "working day", but not Sunday.

Again, the point is that it was stated that this year had the lowest Leinster final attendance for over 30 years. It's an attempt to assert a fact. Such a statement is either right or wrong. It's wrong.

And anyway, if people want to split hairs, I'd be pretty sure the attendance at the 1991 Leinster final was lower than this year's 39,000 from my memories of attending it.

From the Bunker

You know the GAA is in decline when........the hurling pundits can't even talk up yesterdays quarter finals!

Tyrone Gaa

You know the GAA is in decline when........ A Division 1 Senior club game in Donegal finished 0-03 to 0-02
Living the dream!!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on July 25, 2016, 04:48:54 PM
You know the GAA is in decline when........ A Division 1 Senior club game in Donegal finished 0-03 to 0-02

You know the GAA is in decline when........ there were 27 wides in that game also!

seafoid

pitch invasions are banned

\the Uachtaran is a teacher

Rugby has better youth programmes

Fellas are retiring in their 20s with chronic conditions

muppet

MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2016, 06:00:20 PM

What better youth programmes are in Rugby?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 25, 2016, 06:16:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2016, 06:00:20 PM

What better youth programmes are in Rugby?

Yes interested in this answer.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

This is my experience so maybe it is not representative  . Our son did a few Leinster rugby camps and one football one  . The rugby had a half hour chat at the start which I never saw at any other sports camp anywhere .  Absolutely no bullying tolerated. The word of the coach is final.

I was talking to the fella in charge. He is a schools outreach person  . Every Saturday they have 700 kids in Wexford. Something similar in Connacht.  There is a special programme to pick up kids with potential, expose them to interpros then international. But there was also a focus on bringing everyone's talent on a bit. By focusing on technique.

I know a bit about ski programmes as well. They take promising talents and I thought the rugby was better. The skiers put a lot of focus on diet and S&C. In both cases there is a lot of insight. And a good bit of child psychology. Plus a relentless focus on technique.

Same with tennis. The best coaching gets the basics right.

The GAA camp was more haphazard. I don't think GAA coaching is top notch.

Rugby is in for a hard time now with the money situation vis a vis England and France but the sport is a direct competitor to the GAA so it wouldn't do to be complacent. How sports deal with  chronic injuries will influence how parents view them.

I think the ongoing reign of Kilkenny is an indictment of coaching in the other counties as well.  ::)

Dinny Breen

Interesting Seafoid but what is your barometer of success? To me it's all about player retention and statistically the GAA retains more players. I spent 4 years coaching on the development pathway for Leinster Rugby identifying and try to develop players for Leinster. The standard of youth coaching at club level is poor, teams are coached to win, skill development is neglected. Both codes and indeed probably all sports in Ireland are becoming to outcome focused and the fun is literally going out off sport for kids.
#newbridgeornowhere

Quarterback

Make the Game 13 Aside - There will be more room, more kicking and an all round better game.  Id add a video ref as well to sort out a lot of the silly stuff.

Rossfan

Meanwhile in Div 6 of the Co League or at u14 .........
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Quarterback on July 26, 2016, 10:33:48 AM
Make the Game 13 Aside - There will be more room, more kicking and an all round better game.  Id add a video ref as well to sort out a lot of the silly stuff.

Agree wholeheartedly
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...