You know the GAA is in decline when......................

Started by From the Bunker, July 19, 2016, 12:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

When clubs run U10 or U12 tournaments at the end of the summer and insist on them being 15 a side with full rules. and a nice big cup for the winning team.
games turn into 'get it to the good lad' and the rest don't get a touch.

And our local gaa camp co-ordinator had a chat with all kids at the start - rules of camp, respect coaches, respect equipment, no bullying.
camp ran brilliantly.

AZOffaly

To be honest I think the GAA as an organisation does quite well in youth development, and the holistic approach to coaching kids. Respect, enjoyment, participation, child welfare etc etc. I also know that the OTú model would be seen as one of the better coaching models in the world of sport. Istvan Balyi, who would be a recognised exponent of LTAD has hailed the GAA as being a very good model.

Perhaps in individual clubs where they don't emphasise that sort of development, there might be shortfalls, but I think the whole area of coaching and coach education has come on a lot in the GAA in the last 20 years.

twohands!!!

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 26, 2016, 11:27:07 AM
To be honest I think the GAA as an organisation does quite well in youth development, and the holistic approach to coaching kids. Respect, enjoyment, participation, child welfare etc etc. I also know that the OTú model would be seen as one of the better coaching models in the world of sport. Istvan Balyi, who would be a recognised exponent of LTAD has hailed the GAA as being a very good model.

Perhaps in individual clubs where they don't emphasise that sort of development, there might be shortfalls, but I think the whole area of coaching and coach education has come on a lot in the GAA in the last 20 years.

Yup - I think there has been massive advances in the overall standard of coaching for youngsters over the last generation - a generation or so back coaching was seriously haphazard with an awful lot of well-meaning but clueless stuff going on as everyone was left to their own devices.

Itchy

The real one is when players of all levels couldn't be bothered playing for their clubs, the ongoing emergency that no one even talks about.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Itchy on July 26, 2016, 07:20:34 PM
The real one is when players of all levels couldn't be bothered playing for their clubs, the ongoing emergency that no one even talks about.
Yep.
We've 18 & 19 year olds saying they couldn't be bothered.
A county board who give f-all notice of games so lads cannot plan their work schedules or family lives
Hardly any games all year then cram in 3 games in space of 10 days.

Jinxy

Quote from: seafoid on July 26, 2016, 10:12:14 AM
This is my experience so maybe it is not representative  . Our son did a few Leinster rugby camps and one football one  . The rugby had a half hour chat at the start which I never saw at any other sports camp anywhere .  Absolutely no bullying tolerated. The word of the coach is final.

I was talking to the fella in charge. He is a schools outreach person  . Every Saturday they have 700 kids in Wexford. Something similar in Connacht.  There is a special programme to pick up kids with potential, expose them to interpros then international. But there was also a focus on bringing everyone's talent on a bit. By focusing on technique.

I know a bit about ski programmes as well. They take promising talents and I thought the rugby was better. The skiers put a lot of focus on diet and S&C. In both cases there is a lot of insight. And a good bit of child psychology. Plus a relentless focus on technique.

Same with tennis. The best coaching gets the basics right.

The GAA camp was more haphazard. I don't think GAA coaching is top notch.

Rugby is in for a hard time now with the money situation vis a vis England and France but the sport is a direct competitor to the GAA so it wouldn't do to be complacent. How sports deal with  chronic injuries will influence how parents view them.

I think the ongoing reign of Kilkenny is an indictment of coaching in the other counties as well.  ::)

Are you posh, Seafóid?
Do you live in G4?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

You know the GAA is in decline when......................the gaa blame bad attendances on the Euros and bad weather.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=258723

Dinny Breen

Sure it's only Munster & Leinster! Sure that's only 50% of the provinces. He doesn't even mention the qualifiers which apart from the Mayo games were pitifully attended.

QuoteAnd Leinster has taken a drop because Dublin is so strong. So we accept that.

It's only going to get worse.

#newbridgeornowhere

Mrs mills

You know the GAA's in decline when.....you have the TV on in the background and you only glance at the Ulster final when the commentator shows any sign of interest!

sensethetone

Marty Mone sang at half time in a quarter-final match last year, can the GAA afford him this year?