Young Player of the Year 2014

Started by muppet, August 26, 2014, 12:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/five-of-the-leading-fancies-to-be-young-footballer-of-the-year-30537903.html

This article is a bit of a joke. Cormac Costello (according to the article & Paddy Power) is the hot favourite despite not even starting a match. He has a big future and I was very impressed with what I saw of him in the League. But 5/4 for a player who can't get a Championship start and who appears when each game is over as a contest is absurd.

Jack McCaffrey is also an odd nomination at this stage. If he starts the next two games and does well, fair enough. But he has started only one game this championship.

The outsider of the 5 (again according to the article) is Shane Walsh of Galway. I can only imagine he is the outsider because he is from the west. His  impact in the championship has been far better than the other 4, with the Donegal lads 2nd or 3rd imho. The voting on the site suggests the public also think Walsh should win.

Of course there may just be a dearth of young players getting starts this year.
MWWSI 2017

rodney trotter

Probaly because it's players that are  U21 so less an amount to choose from. The PFA Young player of the year in soccer is u23, probaly should be the same in Gaa too. Cillian O Connor and Odran McNeilis both 22 would have been eligible.

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on August 26, 2014, 12:58:18 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/five-of-the-leading-fancies-to-be-young-footballer-of-the-year-30537903.html

This article is a bit of a joke. Cormac Costello (according to the article & Paddy Power) is the hot favourite despite not even starting a match. He has a big future and I was very impressed with what I saw of him in the League. But 5/4 for a player who can't get a Championship start and who appears when each game is over as a contest is absurd.

Jack McCaffrey is also an odd nomination at this stage. If he starts the next two games and does well, fair enough. But he has started only one game this championship.

The outsider of the 5 (again according to the article) is Shane Walsh of Galway. I can only imagine he is the outsider because he is from the west. His  impact in the championship has been far better than the other 4, with the Donegal lads 2nd or 3rd imho. The voting on the site suggests the public also think Walsh should win.

Of course there may just be a dearth of young players getting starts this year.

Cormac is sub on arguably the strongest squad in Ireland. Nobody in Dublin thinks he should be on the bench except Gavin.
His stats are incredible for a guy off the bench. In one 35 minute half he had 22 posessions- the exact same as JOD did for 75 mins last weekend.

It's slim pickings this year in what has been a very average football championship so far.

GalwayBayBoy

Saw that article earlier alright. Thought it was a bit odd that Walsh was the rank outsider of the 5 considering he was the leading scorer in the entire championship until a week or two ago and was being beaten out by lads who were coming on as subs (granted for stronger teams than Galway).

Like the All-Stars though I imagine it's tough to win unless your team gets to the semi-finals at least.

muppet

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 26, 2014, 01:16:41 PM
Saw that article earlier alright. Thought it was a bit odd that Walsh was the rank outsider of the 5 considering he was the leading scorer in the entire championship until a week or two ago and was being beaten out by lads who were coming on as subs (granted for stronger teams than Galway).

Kerry and Mayo don't seem to contenders and the rest are from the other semi-finalists. The bookies thinks that the winner will be from Donegal or Dublin. If one of the players steps up and really performs in a sami-final or in particular a final, then fair enough. But does the winner really have to come from the All-Ireland finalists?

Walsh is the outstanding candidate at the moment imho.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Murtagh was robbed of the U21 PotY by politics. Walsh could easily meet the same fate.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2014, 01:19:40 PM
Murtagh was robbed of the U21 PotY by politics. Walsh could easily meet the same fate.

But he wasn't as good as Conor Mc Hugh to be fair.

J70

MacNiallais is a more worthy candidate than McBrearty.

DuffleKing

Young Player of the Year is not an u21 award? is it not u23?

I would have thought Odhrán Mac Niallais was nailed on for this

INDIANA

Quote from: J70 on August 26, 2014, 01:45:31 PM

Far more. To be honest if he's elligible he;s the front runner

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on August 26, 2014, 01:28:09 PM

McHugh only managed 0-10 points before the AI final, Murtagh scored 2-13 in the SF and final alone and scored heavily in all our championship matches before that. Even in the AI final Murtagh matched McHugh in scoring, an achievement on a team that was getting hammering by the other.

It helps when McHugh's county man Pillar Caffrey is one of the three judges..

These competitions are a crock and rarely pick the right players. I don't know why I bother caring.

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on August 26, 2014, 01:48:16 PM

Cillian O'Connor is 22, same as Ódhran. But they will hardly give him another one. Maybe he will get his first All-Star this year?
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on August 26, 2014, 01:50:27 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 26, 2014, 01:48:16 PM

Cillian O'Connor is 22, same as Ódhran. But they will hardly give him another one. Maybe he will get his first All-Star this year?

Still can't process how he didn't win one last year.

heffo

Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2014, 01:49:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 26, 2014, 01:28:09 PM

McHugh only managed 0-10 points before the AI final, Murtagh scored 2-13 in the SF and final alone and scored heavily in all our championship matches before that. Even in the AI final Murtagh matched McHugh in scoring, an achievement on a team that was getting hammering by the other.

It helps when McHugh's county man Pillar Caffrey is one of the three judges..

These competitions are a crock and rarely pick the right players. I don't know why I bother caring.

How many of those scores were from play?

All 1-6 of McHugh's were..

Strange that a player voted man of the match in the final and semi-final on the winning team doesn't deserve it!

macdanger2

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 26, 2014, 01:47:52 PM
Young Player of the Year is not an u21 award? is it not u23?

I would have thought Odhrán Mac Niallais was nailed on for this

Yeah, would have thought he'd be the favourite alright if he's eligible