Your best/worst experiences in the stands

Started by Syferus, May 23, 2012, 01:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

So some Galway supporter kept leaning back in his seat on Sunday, intent on breaking my kneecaps, at one point he somehow managed to end up perched on top of the back of his seat (he was no spring chicken, either) and almost fell backwards into my lap. He was best buds with the Galway u21 manager and never once bothered to turn around or apologise. Those feckers are always acting like they own the gaff.  >:(

Him and his Galwegian army also stood up in place for the entirety of half-time. I wouldn't have minded but the Cumann na Bunscoil games were the only chance I had to see Rosies running rings around Galway.

I was clapping all our points twice as hard just because my hands were so near his ears.

I didn't clap many times.

But it got me thinking - what's your most, hmm, memorable moments in the stands, either yourself or surrounding hilarity ?

Tubberman

Oh dear, for a Rossie to start this thread is a bit short-sighted!!
There are plenty of bad experiences with Ros supporters down through the years. I'll keep mine to myself for now, but might join in the fun later ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

And I could tell you as many about Mayo supporters. This isn't meant to be a mouthpiece for attacking one set of fans or the other.

Ohtoohtobe

Lost count of the amount of times I've had some lad on his seventh can of Scrumpy Jack thinking he's being original by roaring 'sheep shagger' or 'what a waste of petrol' in my face on the streets around Croker if we're either playing Dublin or playing on the same day as them. 

Best was being hammered by Offaly in a league semi-final and the three Offaly boys in front of us pretending to be Kildare fans and doing it so well that despite the depression of the day and the intense rivalry/hatred you could only laugh in the end.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on May 23, 2012, 03:24:26 PM
Lost count of the amount of times I've had some lad on his seventh can of Scrumpy Jack thinking he's being original by roaring 'sheep shagger' or 'what a waste of petrol' in my face on the streets around Croker if we're either playing Dublin or playing on the same day as them. 

Best was being hammered by Offaly in a league semi-final and the three Offaly boys in front of us pretending to be Kildare fans and doing it so well that despite the depression of the day and the intense rivalry/hatred you could only laugh in the end.

That wasn't today or yesterday!

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 23, 2012, 03:42:04 PM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on May 23, 2012, 03:24:26 PM

That wasn't today or yesterday!

No thank God! Not as long as you might think either though, just looked it up there, 2004, 1-16 to 1-8...

Farrandeelin

I remember in 96 going to a match between Knockmore and Crossmolina in Crossmolina. This fella started shouting abuse at Knockmore players, officials and fans alike. He hadn't a clue from Adam who my dad was, but my dad knew of him. Old fella turns around, tells him politely that he was surprised by what he was doing. Wasn't a word out of him for the rest of the match. That's the only memory of that game.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

magpie seanie

I had a pretty bad experience one time at a Dublin v. Meath game. I was supporting Meath and this fat ignoramus Dublin supporter thought that was enough reason* to get dug into me. Now most here will find this hard to believe as I'm rarely one for keeping my counsel but the situation was geting out of hand so I just shut up and blanked the hoor. He went gaga then altogether, got very upset about "the Meath head on ya" and moved over from his seat to roar abuse at me. Eventually he got bored and gave up and several of the guys around complimented me for the way I handled it. It was scary though cos I thought at one pont I was getting a slap.

* I fully accept that I can be an annoying person by times but genuinely on this occasion I did little to attract this guys ire.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Had a cig put out in my back by the supporter of another Connacht county in McHale Park when I was 10 or 11. The supporter  >:( was about 50 and was very drunk, he got a smack off one of his countymen for the abuse he was directing at the Mayo crowd and his general behaviour.

Never experienced something as bad before or since.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

theticklemister

Worst memory

All Ireland Q/F, 2007, Croke Park, Dublin v Derry

I was one of the 5 Derry supporters in the Hill for the match when entering the ground the stewards asked us 'not to stand beside that part of the Hill, for your own safety.' Should of took the hint from there. But we went further back up the Hill, tis about half an hour before throw in and the craic was good. Game started we went 4-2 up and I had the Bodhran with me so we started cheering on the Oakleaf lads when euros rained down on top of us and we were told to go back up north 'ya northy wee ****'. So instead of beating the drum the goat-skinned musical instrument was now a shield. So at the behest of me mates and the euros I resisted playing the bodhran for the remainder of the game. At the end of the game they were all obiliging saying it was a bit of craic, but not at the time!!!!!!!!!

Best memory

All Ireland Q/F, 2007, Croke Park, Dublin v Derry

The Dublin lads who told the pricks up the back to stopping throwing the coins!!

Whishtup

Worst:
At the first floodlit Dublin Tyrone Game, it was also a bit of a family get-together, so there was a fair squad of us there.  Stevie went for one of his trademark points and, with a couple of beers in me, I jumped up and started to roar like a madman, "Ahh, lovely point Stevie, lovely point!" when the whole crowd seemed to suddenly go quiet.
It went wide.
Talk about a fair few thousand people, including your family,  laughing at you at once.  Barely open my mouth at games now.

Best:

Being amidst a load of Dubs in the Canal End as Mugsy scored that goal.  You could have heard a match being struck.

emmetryan

Easy to point to ones that are abusive, we've all experienced that unfortunately, but the most irritating experience I had was watching Dublin beat Kildare last year. Before any Lilywhite fans get up in arms, it was a fellow Dubs supporter that drove me demented. A woman behind me had exactly one thing to say, irrespective of where the ball was or what team was in possession, and that was to roar "Give it!" relentlessly throughout the game. Left me in a rage despite Dublin winning.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

AZOffaly

There's two things that get shouted at matches that drive me mad. The first is 'Wake Up' and the second is 'Mark your man'.

They get shouted no matter what the circumstance or game situation.

screenexile

I imagine this thread will attract a fair few negative comments but my experiences are good. When living in Dublin in 2007 I went to the Tyrone All Ireland semi final and final without a ticket and with a mate who also had no ticket. On both occasions we were walking in the crowd and were talking about how we would be able to engineer a ticket and the first time a man from Dublin was walking ahead of us, heard the conversation and offered us 2 tickets at face value for the game. Almost the identical situation for the final only a Tyrone fan this time... 'twas unreal!!

Go home ref

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 23, 2012, 05:01:22 PM
I had a pretty bad experience one time at a Dublin v. Meath game. I was supporting Meath and this fat ignoramus Dublin supporter thought that was enough reason* to get dug into me. Now most here will find this hard to believe as I'm rarely one for keeping my counsel but the situation was geting out of hand so I just shut up and blanked the hoor. He went gaga then altogether, got very upset about "the Meath head on ya" and moved over from his seat to roar abuse at me. Eventually he got bored and gave up and several of the guys around complimented me for the way I handled it. It was scary though cos I thought at one pont I was getting a slap.

* I fully accept that I can be an annoying person by times but genuinely on this occasion I did little to attract this guys ire.

I had a Dublin arsehole start on me in the hill last year for daring to support my own county Kildare in "their" hill although in fairness another Dub near him shut him up quick but the worst by far was Meath in Navan behind one of the goals when we had plastic bottles thrown at us by a crowd of eejits from Navan