2004 Niall Tinney Fermanagh Irvinestown
2003 Stephen O'Neill Tyrone Clann na nGael
2002 Rónán Clarke Armagh Pearse Óg

2001 Cormac McAnallen Tyrone Eglish St. Patrick's
2000 Joe Bergin Galway Mountbellew-Moylough CLG
1999 Philip Clifford Cork Bantry Blues
1998 Michael Donnellan Galway Dunmore McHales
1997 Mike Frank Russell Kerry Laune Rangers

Just looking at the past winners and i notice that Gooch never received this award!
if the age s under 21 then he would have been eligable for the years in bold!
In a lot of these years this award was like a 16th All Star in that the YPOTY didn't receive an actual All Star. Gooch probably did in these years.

western exile

ONeill

Hard to believe that the Gooch has never won Player of the Year or Young Player of the Year - even including the GPA event.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Kerry Mike

Gooch will be happy if he gets his 5th AI Medal and lifts Mr Maguire today.

Player of the year and All Stars are just vanity awards.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

trileacman

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 18, 2011, 01:31:45 AM
Gooch will be happy if he gets his 5th AI Medal and lifts Mr Maguire today.

Player of the year and All Stars are just vanity awards.
Went well anyway.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

sans pessimism

A lot of the gang on the SG went for Cillian O' Connor
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

kevmy

I would say it's between Rory O'Caroll and Cillian O'Connor.

As a Mayoman I've seen more of O'Connor so obviously I think he should get it. Played very well against Galway and Ros and got a great goal against Kerry. Add to that his freetaking under pressure and in terrible conditions.

ross4life

Quote from: kevmy on September 19, 2011, 08:32:39 PM
I would say it's between Rory O'Caroll and Cillian O'Connor.

As a Mayoman I've seen more of O'Connor so obviously I think he should get it. Played very well against Galway and Ros and got a great goal against Kerry. Add to that his freetaking under pressure and in terrible conditions.

I thought O'Connor was quiet enough v Galway & in Connacht final from play, if he wins the young player of the year it will be for his performances in Croke park v Cork & Kerry.

I'm open to correction but i think the most scored off O'Carroll this year was 0-2

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Sam2011

I really believe Cillian O'Connor should win.
He's been outstanding in every game he has played.
He was quite in the Galway game alright. It was so refreshing to watch him play in Hyde. He won his frees and took them very well. He stays so came in every situation. When the free was taken off him because he took 40 odd seconds to take a free he was the only Mayo player on the pitch to keep the cool. In the Cork and Kerry game he was all over the pitch mopping up ball and had a great goal against Kerry also.
Player for the future!

saffronandblue

Have not seen enough of O' Carroll, but he seemed to get a lesson yesterday from Donaghy. who could and should have scored 2 goals.  No more than the Donegal defenders it is easier to defend when there are 13 men in your own half.  That said, young Cillian has no chance.....the media won't be pushing for a culchie for the title.

sans pessimism

Quote from: saffronandblue on September 19, 2011, 09:19:37 PM
Have not seen enough of O' Carroll, but he seemed to get a lesson yesterday from Donaghy. who could and should have scored 2 goals.  No more than the Donegal defenders it is easier to defend when there are 13 men in your own half.  That said, young Cillian has no chance.....the media won't be pushing for a culchie for the title.
Agreed Saff young O' Carroll was destroyed by Donaghy,and I think that if Star was FF  for the full match, Kerry would have won.(thank God he wasn't!)
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

INDIANA

Rory O Carroll marked Decllan O Sullivan out of it. You've obviously missed that bit. Donaghy only marked ROC for 20 mins. Then again you'd have to have watched the game to know that.

sans pessimism

Quote from: INDIANA on September 19, 2011, 11:01:41 PM

Rory O Carroll marked Decllan O Sullivan out of it. You've obviously missed that bit. Donaghy only marked ROC for 20 mins. Then again you'd have to have watched the game to know that.
Jeez INDI touchy,touchy. am I not right that Donaghy won every ball off him??or mabye you were watching the soccer for that 20 mins
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"