Young player of the year

Started by sans pessimism, September 13, 2011, 10:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

No contest really - Rory O'Carroll.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

O'Carroll would be my pick as well but the young player of the year was decided on the final performance last year.

A mention for one of our own, three years in a row Donal Shine has finished as the top scorer in Connacht not bad for a 22 year old.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

sans pessimism

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 14, 2011, 10:05:30 PM
No contest really - Rory O'Carroll.
In fairness there is QUITE a contest really
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Throw ball

Quote from: David McKeown on September 14, 2011, 09:01:19 AM
Don't think he'll win it but would Jamie Clarke be eligible?

It would be great if a player could receive such an award for club performances but as always the winner will probably come from a player from a county in the later stages of the championship. For what it is worth Jamie Clarke was outstanding in the Ulster and All Ireland club finals and for Armagh against Down and both Wicklow games.
Away from this the best performances I have seen from a young player in matches I have been at both came from Peter Harte. I think O'Carroll will win the award.

David McKeown

Quote from: Throw ball on September 15, 2011, 12:23:23 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on September 14, 2011, 09:01:19 AM
Don't think he'll win it but would Jamie Clarke be eligible?

It would be great if a player could receive such an award for club performances but as always the winner will probably come from a player from a county in the later stages of the championship. For what it is worth Jamie Clarke was outstanding in the Ulster and All Ireland club finals and for Armagh against Down and both Wicklow games.
Away from this the best performances I have seen from a young player in matches I have been at both came from Peter Harte. I think O'Carroll will win the award.

I more meant would he be eligible on the basis he was talked up last year after his performances against Derry and Donegal and so this wouldnt be his first season
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

rosnarun

gooch doest look over 23 yet he must have it nailed down for the 10th year in a row
failing that my vote goes to Kieran O'Leary
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

southsidejohnny

It has to be someone from the medias favorites...Kildare. Beheny in the Indo yesterday pencilled 3 of them in for All Stars. This is a team who have lived in division 2 for four years, who have beaten nobody of note outside Leinster and who have won nothing in Leinster but who happen to have McGeeney as manager. Reminds me of 1997 when they got 3 All Stars. How? good question...they won one championship match, lost to Meath in the Leinster semi final and that was it...oh by the way Micko was manager as well.
So in a break with tradition lets lift the age limit for the young player of the year and call it "Young Player of The Year and your in with a shout if you are nearly forty". Then Johnny Doyle can get it.

Canalman

Quote from: southsidejohnny on September 15, 2011, 09:32:38 AM
It has to be someone from the medias favorites...Kildare. Beheny in the Indo yesterday pencilled 3 of them in for All Stars. This is a team who have lived in division 2 for four years, who have beaten nobody of note outside Leinster and who have won nothing in Leinster but who happen to have McGeeney as manager. Reminds me of 1997 when they got 3 All Stars. How? good question...they won one championship match, lost to Meath in the Leinster semi final and that was it...oh by the way Micko was manager as well.
So in a break with tradition lets lift the age limit for the young player of the year and call it "Young Player of The Year and your in with a shout if you are nearly forty". Then Johnny Doyle can get it.

Breheny's article was about Allstar possibles NOT involved in the AIF.

From the Bunker

2010 Aidan Walsh Cork Kanturk
2009 Michael Murphy Donegal Glenswilly
2008 Tommy Walsh Kerry Kerins O'Rahilly's
2007 Killian Young Kerry Renard
2006 Keith Higgins Mayo Ballyhaunis
2005 Aaron Kernan Armagh Crossmaglen
2004 Niall Tinney Fermanagh Irvinestown
2003 Stephen O'Neill Tyrone Clann na nGael
2002 Rónán Clarke Armagh Pearse Óg

2001 Cormac McAnallen Tyrone Eglish St. Patrick's
2000 Joe Bergin Galway Mountbellew-Moylough CLG
1999 Philip Clifford Cork Bantry Blues
1998 Michael Donnellan Galway Dunmore McHales
1997 Mike Frank Russell Kerry Laune Rangers

Just looking at the past winners and i notice that Gooch never received this award!
if the age s under 21 then he would have been eligable for the years in bold!

tyroneboi

I didnt think Stephen O'Neill won young player of the year in 2003?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: tyroneboi on September 15, 2011, 10:31:48 AM
i dont think he did either, was it not sean cavanagh?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

From the Bunker

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 15, 2011, 11:24:50 AM
Quote from: tyroneboi on September 15, 2011, 10:31:48 AM
i dont think he did either, was it not sean cavanagh?

Copied and Pasted from Wiki, had a look elsewere and it looks like SC was YPOTY.

Donnellys Hollow

That's the second year in a row you've posted that re '97. Did Davy Dalton win an All-Star ahead of your brother or something?

Mick O'Dwyer described Glenn Ryan's performance against Laois in '97 (when Kildare played with 13 men for over an hour) as the finest centre-back display he ever witnessed in Croke Park. I think all the Meath posters would endorse Nuxer's All-Star selection at midfield that year too. He played unbelievable football up against the great John McDermott during that three game saga.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 15, 2011, 01:05:04 PM

That's the second year in a row you've posted that re '97. Did Davy Dalton win an All-Star ahead of your brother or something?

Mick O'Dwyer described Glenn Ryan's performance against Laois in '97 (when Kildare played with 13 men for over an hour) as the finest centre-back display he ever witnessed in Croke Park. I think all the Meath posters would endorse Nuxer's All-Star selection at midfield that year too. He played unbelievable football up against the great John McDermott during that three game saga.

DH, why bother? If he can't appreciate the football played in that 3 game saga why entertain him as his opinion is clearly flawed.

Amusing how some Dublin supporters having a chip on their shoulder over media praise of Kildare. Personally from a Kildare perspective while nice to read I'd wish it was a bit more disparaging though.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I think Kildare deserved 15 All Stars that year. They won us a Leinster :D