Young Players to watch in 2010...

Started by Kickboxer, February 18, 2010, 06:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

put-it-up

Quote from: Dougal on February 18, 2010, 11:39:39 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 18, 2010, 11:34:02 PM
alan smith, d'oh

for some reason andrew mclaughlin's name was in my head for him...

this shine boy from roscommon seems to be doing well in the league.

shines a class act alright,saw him twice this year,worth the entrance fee both times

From what I gather, Smith's story is a sad but hope he gets himself sorted. Givney from Cavan all the attributes and just needs some heavy polishing on those rough edges to make him into a formidable player. However Gearoid McKiernan, would excite me a lot more, if he overcome that knee injury fully. Between them two, I think we have the Cavan midfield for the next ten years

usa07

what is the story with alan smith?? hope he is back for kildare one of the best forwards in country last year!

Brick Tamlin

id expect to see Martin Clarke make an impact this year for Down.

supersub

thebandit

Both may be in their early 20s at this stage, but expect Darren Hughes and Conor McManus to be pivotal figures for Monaghan this year.

Dermot Malone will get game time in the championship also. Playmaking half forward from blackhill blayney - has been probably been the pick of the newcomers.

A Quinn Martin Production

Dare we say it...could this be CJ McGourty's year??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

The Hammer

The corner forward for dublin this last few weeks. Mcmaneman or something ? Looks good

SambaSaffron

Quote from: usa07 on February 19, 2010, 03:05:30 AM
what is the story with alan smith?? hope he is back for kildare one of the best forwards in country last year!
Have seen this mentioned a few times on here, and something in the paper as well I think. Can anyone shed any light? Looked a cracking player last year.

Dinny Breen

QuoteHave seen this mentioned a few times on here, and something in the paper as well I think. Can anyone shed any light? Looked a cracking player last year.

Just some personal issues hanging over his head. Nothing that really needs to be discussed here, nothing dramatic either so you're not missing much.
#newbridgeornowhere

Schkite

Quote from: thebandit on February 19, 2010, 04:26:19 PM
Both may be in their early 20s at this stage, but expect Darren Hughes and Conor McManus to be pivotal figures for Monaghan this year.

Dermot Malone will get game time in the championship also. Playmaking half forward from blackhill blayney - has been probably been the pick of the newcomers.

Yeah Malone has been impressive alright, wasn't sure if he'd be up to this level yet but he's done well so far, especially in the league. Also think Colm Greenan has done well, considering he was thrown straight into the action in the league without having a run-out in the McKenna Cup first.

Hughes and McManus will backbone the Monaghan team for the next decade, both in serious form and are improving constantly. Still young but both going into their 4th intercounty season now.

imtommygunn

I think Hughes will be very good but not as sure about McManus...

He seems to be a very good scoring club forward but sure he even ended up in half back for Monaghan last year. Seems a bit light in the county football stakes. Hope he makes it mind, seems an alright sort and Monaghan could be doing with more scoring threat than just Tommy Freeman.

Schkite

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 19, 2010, 10:47:52 PM
I think Hughes will be very good but not as sure about McManus...

He seems to be a very good scoring club forward but sure he even ended up in half back for Monaghan last year. Seems a bit light in the county football stakes. Hope he makes it mind, seems an alright sort and Monaghan could be doing with more scoring threat than just Tommy Freeman.

That's exactly why he hasn't shone at county level yet, for some unknown reason Banty has seen him as a wing-back/defensive wing-forward so far while he is naturally a scoring forward and a playmaker. He was always on the light side but has built up a bit now, but sure it's not like there's no room for light players at county level. He's been the best forward in the county championship for a few years now imo, and if he's allowed to play in his natural attacking role I've no doubt he'll transfer that form to county level soon, he's looked good in the full-forward line so far in the league. Hopefully after Grimley working with him closely last year with Clontibret and now with Monaghan he will be kept in that role.

Chris agus Snoop

Ciaran Sheehan of Cork.
He'll be playing U21, so you probably won't see him till championship.

Foreverhopeful

Kevin Mcloughlin for Mayo.... Prob will play wing back this year but will end up as no.11 for Mayo. Can play 5,7,10,11,12,13,15 with ease. Great left peg and very clever.

tevez

2 players stand out! Martin Clarke of Down and Kevin Dyas of Armagh. Both coming back from Australia and both exceptional footballers! If either county does well this year wouldn't be suprised if one of them wins Young Player of the Year! If Down have it in them Martin is a shoe in for it.