Best GAA team of all time?

Started by are.ye.well, September 10, 2010, 04:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 23, 2010, 08:09:45 AM
Quote from: Hardy on September 12, 2010, 01:04:47 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 12, 2010, 12:04:44 AM
Quote from: ONeill on September 11, 2010, 11:58:51 PM
Cross had a generation of fantastic players.

Put it like this - had Armagh fielded Crossmaglen from 96-08 do you think they'd have been more successful? Honest question.

Honest answer, no.  How the f**k would the likes of myself and a few others been able to play against inter county players?  I'm sure the Pony or Darren Fay would have been shaking in their boots with me running towards them(cue jokes about the ground shaking under my delicate feet!).  Different ball game at county level but doesn't mean we could not be classed in the same league as the successful county teams.  Comparitives like that have to allow for context.

Allowing for the bottle-and-a-half of chateau nouveau-pauvre (€5.99 on special offer at SuperValu) that's sloshing around in me cerebral cortex, that's one of the best posts I've ever read here. It's always been my experience that the higher the standard a man played at, the more devastatingly (and unfairly self deprecatingly) down to earth his assessment of his own worth as a player. The likes of me still fantasise about how we cudda binna contender.

"Hardy in prostrating himself at the feet of brokencrossbar1 shocker"  :o

Still waiting for your comments here.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=15142.msg728961#msg728961

Sam, time colours the way you look at things and I was probably correctly lined but there was no malice in what I did. 

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 23, 2010, 09:06:28 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 23, 2010, 08:09:45 AM
Quote from: Hardy on September 12, 2010, 01:04:47 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 12, 2010, 12:04:44 AM
Quote from: ONeill on September 11, 2010, 11:58:51 PM
Cross had a generation of fantastic players.

Put it like this - had Armagh fielded Crossmaglen from 96-08 do you think they'd have been more successful? Honest question.

Honest answer, no.  How the f**k would the likes of myself and a few others been able to play against inter county players?  I'm sure the Pony or Darren Fay would have been shaking in their boots with me running towards them(cue jokes about the ground shaking under my delicate feet!).  Different ball game at county level but doesn't mean we could not be classed in the same league as the successful county teams.  Comparitives like that have to allow for context.

Allowing for the bottle-and-a-half of chateau nouveau-pauvre (€5.99 on special offer at SuperValu) that's sloshing around in me cerebral cortex, that's one of the best posts I've ever read here. It's always been my experience that the higher the standard a man played at, the more devastatingly (and unfairly self deprecatingly) down to earth his assessment of his own worth as a player. The likes of me still fantasise about how we cudda binna contender.

"Hardy in prostrating himself at the feet of brokencrossbar1 shocker"  :o

Still waiting for your comments here.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=15142.msg728961#msg728961

Sam, time colours the way you look at things and I was probably correctly lined but there was no malice in what I did.

Yes mr crossbar, yourself and Mr. Bellew were  just misunderstood
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".