Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downjim

There were some really good draws last night but Down GAA tell everyone the draw is live at 9pm then post a video a good hour after this. It just looks so amateur and there is no reason someone could have recorded that with their phone and done a live feed on Facebook.
I am sure out of the members of the PR team that someone should have recognized this and realized that here was an opportunity to capture GAA folk for an hour or so. But at least the top 4 balls were cold and these two fixtures should get the coffers rolling again.

thewobbler

Without fail, the county board are accused on here every year of either a) keeping the big guns apart to get a more lucrative latter stages, or b) drawing the big guns together for a lucrative early round gate.

Which one is it lads? It can't be both. Which f**king one is it?

Mourne Red

Quote from: downjim on June 24, 2020, 08:58:08 AM
There were some really good draws last night but Down GAA tell everyone the draw is live at 9pm then post a video a good hour after this. It just looks so amateur and there is no reason someone could have recorded that with their phone and done a live feed on Facebook.
I am sure out of the members of the PR team that someone should have recognized this and realized that here was an opportunity to capture GAA folk for an hour or so. But at least the top 4 balls were cold and these two fixtures should get the coffers rolling again.

It was laughable the Facebook said that they couldn't meet indoor when the executive announced Monday that 6 people from different households could meet indoors, and there was no social distancing during the draw anyways  ??? But anyways season starts from today, full contact training allowed and matches in 5 weeks, good to have the pitches open for a kick about again

downjim

Quote from: thewobbler on June 24, 2020, 09:09:55 AM
Without fail, the county board are accused on here every year of either a) keeping the big guns apart to get a more lucrative latter stages, or b) drawing the big guns together for a lucrative early round gate.

Which one is it lads? It can't be both. Which f**king one is it?

Alright Wobbler calm done will you, that was tongue in cheek but the point I was alluding to was the draw not being live. Opportunity was missed. 9pm on a Tuesday with nothing else on. A perfect chance to capture an audience.

thewobbler

An opportunity for what exactly? To prolong a draw unnecessarily telling us news we already know?

Maybe it's just me is more interested in the outcome, than the actual process, Downjim.

The county board officials are neither actors nor performers. They don't put on a show and with the greatest respect to them (for it's true even at the highest rung of county GAA draws) they look stiff and worried during live draws.

You can talk about transparency, and you do have a point. But there'll be talk of heated balls all the way from Moygannon to Grinan today. Mainly because like in actual GAA matches, everyone seems to think it's a f**king conspiracy against them unless things pan out exactly as they want.

downjim

Opportunity for a bit of PR, to put our county out there. A lot of people were waiting to watch the draw and I believe that is were the confusion came from. When they are waiting on their phones/laptop for an hour with nothing happening they get confused and then things are not clear people speculate. Its simple things like this that could be tidied up. 
I am looking forward to the draws, the back door will give teams another chance and probably the top 4 teams in the county are going to. It will give us all something to look forward to after a boring few months.

5times5times

What a shambles last night was! Such a bad look for our CB. In the lashing rain.

Anyone able to post the photo of the Down u17/u19s training in Rosstrevor last week? Obviously no adherence to social distancing with 30-40 young lads on the 1 pitch.

downjim

Why would you want to see a photo of u17s training you weirdo?

5times5times

Hilarious downjim... ::)

Do you think they should be training in such large numbers? Against medical advice?

upandwin

Quote from: thewobbler on June 24, 2020, 09:39:40 AM
An opportunity for what exactly? To prolong a draw unnecessarily telling us news we already know?

Maybe it's just me is more interested in the outcome, than the actual process, Downjim.

The county board officials are neither actors nor performers. They don't put on a show and with the greatest respect to them (for it's true even at the highest rung of county GAA draws) they look stiff and worried during live draws.

You can talk about transparency, and you do have a point. But there'll be talk of heated balls all the way from Moygannon to Grinan today. Mainly because like in actual GAA matches, everyone seems to think it's a f**king conspiracy against them unless things pan out exactly as they want.
[/b]

Don't think there'll be any talk of conspiracy on that draw...Burren and Point will have wanted that draw and will be chomping at the bit I'd imagine. No chat of conspiracy when it 'panned out' exactly as they wanted against the harps last year for all that...

downjim

Quote from: 5times5times on June 24, 2020, 11:57:05 AM

Do you think they should be training in such large numbers? Against medical advice?

You made an account to ask for photos of Down teams running in a forest park last week. You need to get a life and delete your account.

yewtree

Quote from: downjim on June 24, 2020, 01:34:28 PM
Quote from: 5times5times on June 24, 2020, 11:57:05 AM

You made an account to ask for photos of Down teams running in a forest park last week. You need to get a life and delete your account.

Great article yesterday by Cahair O'Kane with headline, Why is county game being allowed to hold clubs to ransom ?

Sounds like lies there from DownJim as there was the small GAA pitch in Kilbroney being used with vast numbers .

It was against not only Medical Advice , it was against the GAA rules. It was contrary to what the GAA response to Covid19 is.Are these coaches above the GAA rules?Covid19 is a life and death issue.

Maybe Downjim knows more about this ? Was he not just yesterday talking about Covid19 Supervisor role ?

They are effectively playing with the minds of young players and parents who are afraid to speak out and say it was wrong or their chance at inter county football might be gone.

Are the clubs not going to stand up (for their players and families on that squad ) to this and ensure the County Board make a stand against these coaches? Some of the media who have these coaches on speed dial are they going to be complicit in this ?

This is a serious scandal for Down Co Board, do these coaches have some sort of magic spell or hold over Down GAA ?I sense they are a group of coaches under pressure but the games are not on until October. Would the same people flaunt the roles in their respective workplaces ? If they did there would be consequences. Now let's see what Down Co Board does.They have brought the GAA into disrepute.

This GAA gathering was wrong and a horrible indictment against the responsible GAA people in Down, those that had family die , those that work on the front line, those that couldn't be in their grandparents houses,couldn't meet friends and did what society expects.

The Down Co Board can't let their name be ruined by these people , Down GAA board have to act.

Clubs of these players need to be responsible .Local journalists need to be responsible and call this out.

On the playing front a great draw last night.

Lotto

5times5times you will soon learn that you are not allowed to mention teams training when they shouldn't be on here. Some lads get very tetchy and it is too close to home for some but they continue to deny it ever happened in their club. Downjim, it wasn't a forest park run, they were collectively training on one of the pitches. But sure some of these coaching gurus are above the law and have always done what they want anyway.

supersub

Just as a matter of interest, what would these people (who are so vexed at these training actions) like to be done about it? I think it's bad work myself, but really what can be done?

5times5times

I have just seen the photo on twitter.

Looks to be the soccer field in kilbroney. Easily 30+ lads there.. And not spread out across the field. So blasé it seems. But sure because they're coached by wee James we'll turn a blind eye??

Why are these teams above our clubs??