Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

2 Johnstons, mckernan, Clarke, Gerard McGovern and Shea McArdle are all playing college football and would offer more than what was there today.
Not sure where the likes of O Hagen, Garvey, Poland and O hare are at the minute, surely it would be better to get them imvolved ASAP. Are Kane and O Hanlon the only two Kilcoo men involved other than the Jonstons?

That aside it is a bit of a shambles and would it be that big of a surprise to see Down go the whole year without a win??

PS I must have missed it when Conal McGovern became a full back !!!!!!

SHEEDY

have to agree with whitegoodman, it wouldnt be a major surprise if we went all year without winning. at the minute its hard to see who we are going to beat this year. very poor performance today.
nil satis nisi optimum

charlieTully

If mooney gets his shooting sorted out he could be a serious threat. Thought Ohanlon started well but aimless balls into the forward line and giving the ball away on several occasions  turned it into a pretty poor performance from him overall. Conor maginn was decent, hard to think of anyone else who stood out.

Line Ball

Quote from: charlieTully on January 10, 2016, 07:30:27 PM
If mooney gets his shooting sorted out he could be a serious threat. Thought Ohanlon started well but aimless balls into the forward line and giving the ball away on several occasions  turned it into a pretty poor performance from him overall. Conor maginn was decent, hard to think of anyone else who stood out.

So 3 players stood out. One couldn't shoot, one couldn't pass and the other was 'decent'.

Maginn yes , the other two were awful.

SamFever

Mourne Rover

Smurfy, the Loughinisland prospects are Dan Gordon, our best midfielder by a distance, Kieran Gordon, who is already in the Down squad and has a better kick-out than Stevie Kane, Rory Mason, who impressed at u21 level and can take a score from frees and open play, and Aaron McClements, the kind of ball-winner who is urgently needed both down the middle and up front on today's performance. There are no guarantees that the latter two will make it at county level but quite a few of the rival candidates came close to ruling themselves out today.

Division one is going to be tough but we will have a much stronger squad out against Donegal in the first match, they are rebuilding and the Saturday night lights tend to suit us in Newry. We will be in a better position to judge ourselves after that game, although the Loughinisland players are unlikely to be involved.

Smurfy123

Gordan does not have a better kickout than Kane.Mason had a poor game against Derry in this years under 21 championship
Who out of today's team will start against Donegal in the first league game?

Team v Donegal

Kane
O hagan
Gerard McGovern
Magee
McKernan
CONNAL McGovern
Boyle
Turley
McKay
Maginn
Poland
Johnstone
Clarke
O hare
Mooney

Have I missed anyone

5 Sams

Quote from: SHEEDY on January 10, 2016, 07:19:47 PM
have to agree with whitegoodman, it wouldnt be a major surprise if we went all year without winning. at the minute its hard to see who we are going to beat this year. very poor performance today.
ip.

I cant believe youse boys are predicting that we wont win a game all year on the back of one McKenna Cup game. Catch a fcukin grip. >:( Give them a fcukin chance...Páidí Ó Sé called Kerry supporters the worst fcukin animals...we are as bad.
The Aristocrat Years

ardtole

I have to agree with 5sams, complete over reaction, I think everyone realises div one will be a struggle but a lot of lads to return yet.

Mourne Rover

Smurfy, Kane is a fine shot stopper with excellent handling, and may be just about our best keeper, but his kick-outs are a problem. While he has frequently played behind a struggling Down midfield, Gordon pretty clearly offers a longer and more accurate clearance.

The defence you propose may well be close to our Donegal line-up but McKay, although he may yet improve, did not look like a county midfielder today.

We all want to see Marty Clarke back but his recovery is a long term project.  Mallon, McConville and Carr are much more likely starters in the early stages of the league.

rosskarr

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 10, 2016, 09:04:51 PM
Gordan does not have a better kickout than Kane.Mason had a poor game against Derry in this years under 21 championship

Team v Donegal

Kane
O hagan
Gerard McGovern
Magee
McKernan
CONNAL McGovern
Boyle
Turley
McKay
Maginn
Poland
Johnstone
Clarke
O hare
Mooney

Have I missed anyone
Smurfy,  you're usually straight up with your assessments but young Mason was Down's best player that night in Celtic Park.

Smurfy123

Ross fair enough point
I'm probably a bit harsh on young Mason
Deserves  a few games

Ed Hardy

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 10, 2016, 09:04:51 PM

Team v Donegal

Kane
O hagan
Gerard McGovern
Magee
McKernan
CONNAL McGovern
Boyle
Turley
McKay
Maginn
Poland
Johnstone
Clarke
O hare
Mooney

Have I missed anyone

Magee at corner back isn't a good choice, not bad on the front foot, but the best attribute of a CB. should be tackling, and his most definitely isnt! If he plays there, any team with a half decent free taker will punish Down big time!

cut the crap

Right let's get this sorted, sack the management , get rid of all the new faces and start again , given that our previous manager was given 8 months I'd say Eamonn has over stayed his welcome , now that's the sort if posts I'm reading on this forum or that's what all the negative comments are leading to, Eamonn Burns and his staff know that their task in making us a more successful side is going to take time and lads time is key, and patience from genuine Down supporters is of equal importance , let's give him a chance , I know that sometimes watching county games is painful and it seems players don't give a damn but the opposite is true, players don't take the field to deliberately play bad , so unless you have a constructive point to make or a good point to make about a game or incident it's better to say nothing.