New Zealand South Island

Started by gallsman, October 14, 2013, 11:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Am heading to Oz and New Zealand over Christmas and the New Year. Spending Christmas with family in Auckland and then looking to fly down to the South Island on the 27th. Trying to fit in as much as I can in 7/8 days from:

Mt. Cook
Lake Tekapo
Fox Glacier
Franz Josef Glacier
Milford Sound
Queenstown.

Had planned to base myself in Queenstown the entire time (and need to be there for NYE) but it's looking difficult to get (cheap) accommodation sorted for 3/4 nights over new year.

Anyone any suggestions? Friend recommended flying to Christchurch and then doing the drive to Queenstown, fitting in Mt. Cook and Lake Tekapo on the way.

heffo

Quote from: gallsman on October 14, 2013, 11:29:08 AM
Am heading to Oz and New Zealand over Christmas and the New Year. Spending Christmas with family in Auckland and then looking to fly down to the South Island on the 27th. Trying to fit in as much as I can in 7/8 days from:

Mt. Cook
Lake Tekapo
Fox Glacier
Franz Josef Glacier
Milford Sound
Queenstown.

Had planned to base myself in Queenstown the entire time (and need to be there for NYE) but it's looking difficult to get (cheap) accommodation sorted for 3/4 nights over new year.

Anyone any suggestions? Friend recommended flying to Christchurch and then doing the drive to Queenstown, fitting in Mt. Cook and Lake Tekapo on the way.

You look to be ticking most of the boxes there - hotel accommodation in Christchurch is fairly expensive at the moment due to the earthquakes

I know a guy who runs adventure tours out of Queenstown if you want his email

johnneycool

White water rafting the shotover river is a must.

There was also so sort of zipline thing down the mountain where you're meant to be doing almost 200mph, not sure if its still there, its nearly 10 years since I was there.

You're going in their peak season so hotels, etc are going to be dearer.

bailestil

Quote from: johnneycool on October 14, 2013, 01:07:35 PM
the bus trip down Skippers Canyon Road to the start of the rafting was more nerve wrecking than the bungee jump and sky dive combined.

johnneycool

Quote from: bailestil on October 14, 2013, 01:21:18 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on October 14, 2013, 01:07:35 PM
the bus trip down Skippers Canyon Road to the start of the rafting was more nerve wrecking than the bungee jump and sky dive combined.

Ha ha, forgot about that, looking down the side of the bus on a dirt track and nothing there for 50 to 60 feet, just like the road to Cushendall.  8)

laoislad

The South island used to be known as New Munster and the North Island was called New Ulster.

Milford Sound is brilliant. Queenstown is also a great place.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.