Great GAA Comebacks

Started by APM, May 06, 2020, 04:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Played in a crazy one myself. 1995 IFC semi final. Red hot favourites but trailed 0-1 to 3-2 after 20 minutes. Won 0-15 to 3-3.

Ambrose

Some eejit booked a hotel and had to come back a week later.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

magpie seanie

Quote from: Ambrose on May 15, 2020, 09:43:09 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

dublin7

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 14, 2020, 09:39:58 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 10, 2020, 11:00:48 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 10, 2020, 10:54:45 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 07, 2020, 12:53:44 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2020, 06:45:09 PM
There's the obvious one, Offaly's five-minute final of 1994:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bceb42XNhOM

I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
I was on the Hill for that and two Offaly buckos of about 35-40 years of age standing beside me left with about 15 minutes to go, they were more interested in getting their feed of pints into them. Reminds me of a bit in the book Kings of September where the future Offaly footballer Sean Grennan was at the 1982 football final with his mother and the mother decided to leave with ten minutes left. They drove to a relative's house in Balbriggan and only found out Offaly had won when they got there. I can never understand why people leave an All-Ireland final, or indeed any match, if the outcome is in any way in doubt.
Yes, some buckos drove all the way back to Offaly thinking that Limerick had won it only to find out the result.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/219/613/2fadbe25-eaaa-42b7-8bf6-a8ec8684655a.gif

There are tales of Limerick folk making similar premature evacuations from Croke Park. One was puzzled why the Limerick captain would swap jersies before accepting the cup when he caught a glimpse of the presentation walking by a pub window.
You'd feel like an awful tit though if you left a final early and then your team came back to win. Wasn't there a few Liverpool supporters who left at half-time in Istanbul in 2005?

A mate of mine left the ethiad when City were 2-1 against QPR in 2012, just out the gate when it went 2-2 and the stewards wouldn't let him back in.

I remember George Best saying he missed Utd's comeback against Bayern Munich in the champions league final. Left with a few minutes to go when they were 1 down thinking they gone and lucky to only lose 1 nil. Heard the cheer for the equaliser just as he was leving the stadium and was in the lift going back up to his seat when he heard the roar as the 2nd went in.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 16, 2020, 02:55:10 PM
Quote from: Ambrose on May 15, 2020, 09:43:09 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That deserves being revisited given the current situation....we could do with some light entertainment if anyone has the thread saved....