How much of your transactions are in cash?

Started by AustinPowers, October 23, 2023, 04:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What percentage of your transactions are in cash?

100% cash (don't use cards or apps)
90 - 99% cash
About 75% cash
About 50% cash / 50% card (or apps)
About 25% cash
1 - 10% cash
Don't use cash (all transactions are cards or apps)

AustinPowers

Apparently,  the number of cash transactions has gone up  for the first time in over a decade. 

Possibly due to  it being easier to budget (particularly during this cost of living crisis),  less chance of being scammed electronically, the ending of covid restrictions , or people realising a cashless society would give banks and governments  too much power etc etc.

Anyway, I just thought I'd  see how  much cash transactions the GAA Board  members use.

Also, do you have  any thoughts on the using  of cash? The push for a cashless society?  Your reasons for using  cash as much (or as little) as you do?

Joeythelips

I put in 1-10% usage but its very much towards the 1% end of the scale. Cash obviously has its benefits but once you get used to using contactless payments it seems odd using cash in all honesty. Most things accept contactless payments now also.

Id imagine the majority of businesses/individuals who prefer cash are either ones who launder cash, i.e criminals, or ones who don't want to declare all their earnings for tax purposes.

Armagh18

Would have been close to 100% card/contactless. Making a conscious effort now to use cash only though so will be close to 100% cash in future I hope. Card fees are a killer for businesses.

Milltown Row2

Would tend to bring cash on holidays, that way I know what I've spent, physically lol! Tap most days for pure convenience would generally have a ton in wallet, just in case.

Restaurants, generally tap and pay tip in cash.

At pub try and use cash.

My kids wouldn't thank me for giving them cash, they never use cash for anything, no cards all phone usage
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I'm just waiting on the conspiracy theories...

Tony Baloney

Minimal cash (1-10%). Predominantly I tap away in shops, pubs etc. Some local businesses and tradesmen are cash only and have no issue taking out cash when I know it's needed but keep some in the wallet "just in case". I tip in cash as I don't trust owners to pass them on if not entirely visible to staff.

Revolut, Uber app and a bit of cash on holidays.

AustinPowers

I use  cash about 99% of the time.

I just find it   much easier to deal with. You know what you have , and  less chance of being scammed.

I usually pay the car/house insurance by card . Maybe book the summer holiday (Airbnb or campsite) as there's no other way , as it needs reserving in advance

I buy on  average 3 or 4 things a year  on eBay through card.  And maybe if  something went wrong with the car, or household appliance, I might  put that   on the card , and pay if off, if I don't have  the funds  at the time.

Other things like the odd match ticket, concert  ticket etc would be  put on card , as again, there might be   no alternative .

general_lee

I'm about 50/50.
As they say, cash is king, but sometimes card is just far handier.
If it's grocery shop or paying for something in a big name chain Halford's or whatever, I pay card.
Bars and restaurants I always pay cash or at least always tip in cash.
I always end up taking out too much though and then feel the need to spend it all!

Tony Baloney

I must try to make a more conscious effort to use cash in my local coffee shop etc. The wee girls that work in look at you sideways if you give them cash, whereas the owner would no doubt encourage it!

RedHand88

Only when absolutely necessary (Chinese and barbers).
Use card 100% the rest of the time, usually contactless on the phone.
Hate using cash. I feel like do much of your cash ends up as coins left at your arse, whereas with contactless those extra coins never leave your account.

I don't understand the "I use cash because you know what you have" argument when you can have online banking on your phone.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 23, 2023, 08:28:31 PMI must try to make a more conscious effort to use cash in my local coffee shop etc. The wee girls that work in look at you sideways if you give them cash, whereas the owner would no doubt encourage it!

Was at the takeaway Recently .  woman went to pay with card,  but the machine was down. The ATM had been damaged,  and she had no cash. I says to her, the post office is still open, you might get  cash there (not sure how she faired out)

The two young girls working there,  said they rarely use cash, but I says  but it would pay off in a situation like this, wouldn't it?  They thought about it, and  one says "aye , right enough".

I'd like to think I  converted the two of them  to using cash , but I doubt it. Probably tapping away like  two eejits

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AustinPowers on October 23, 2023, 08:00:07 PMI use  cash about 99% of the time.

I just find it   much easier to deal with. You know what you have , and  less chance of being scammed.

I usually pay the car/house insurance by card . Maybe book the summer holiday (Airbnb or campsite) as there's no other way , as it needs reserving in advance

I buy on  average 3 or 4 things a year  on eBay through card.  And maybe if  something went wrong with the car, or household appliance, I might  put that   on the card , and pay if off, if I don't have  the funds  at the time.

Other things like the odd match ticket, concert  ticket etc would be  put on card , as again, there might be   no alternative .

99% but listed a lot that you pay by card?

It's near impossible to get things other than using card.

Cash in restaurants bar shop garage would be your lot.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clarshack

One thing that's annoying is that to get into most championship games  (in Tyrone it's all) these days you have to pay by card only but once you are in the ground it's cash only if you want to buy a programme or go to the shop.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 23, 2023, 08:50:03 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on October 23, 2023, 08:00:07 PMI use  cash about 99% of the time.

I just find it  much easier to deal with. You know what you have , and  less chance of being scammed.

I buy on  average 3 or 4 things a year  on eBay through card.  And maybe if  something went wrong with the car, or household appliance, I might  put that  on the card , and pay if off, if I don't have  the funds  at the time.

Other things like the odd match ticket, concert  ticket etc would be  put on card , as again, there might be  no alternative .

99% but listed a lot that you pay by card?

Those card transactions  amounts to maybe 20-30 a year. If that. There are a few times a week where  I could  have 10-20 cash transactions daily.

QuoteIt's near impossible to get things other than using card.

Maybe a flight, concert ticket, hotel  etc , but most of your everyday products  can be got  with cash

QuoteCash in restaurants bar shop garage would be your lot.

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come