Syferus

shark

Quote from: INDIANA on October 02, 2016, 07:03:36 PM
Quote from: Gold on October 02, 2016, 06:29:32 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 02, 2016, 05:04:28 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on October 02, 2016, 04:54:13 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 02, 2016, 04:50:31 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 02, 2016, 04:29:33 PM
Not sure if all that introspection is needed in Mayo.

Despite allegedly having no forwards and coming up against the often touted greatest forward line of all time, Dublin won by a solitary point, which was mostly courtesy of Mayo's keeper gifting them penalty.
Exactly. All you read in the media today is how Dublin got everything right and what Mayo done wrong. Proof that the script is dictated by the victors. Mayo were agonisingly close to winning the title but unfortunately they came up against a side that just had a little bit more quality.

Not to mention a Referee who got some major calls wrong which coincidentally all seemed to favour Dublin.

I have some sympathy with the referee as Gaelic football has become almost an impossible sport to referee properly but I did feel as though Dublin benefitted from the major decisions. Most notably failure to show Small a red card and also the decision to award a penalty when Hennelly clearly played the ball. He was so embarrassed by his mistake that he didn't even put up an argument but I felt that he won the ball first. The Small decision was more clear cut though and that was the lines mans fault

I actually agree re the peno. The keeper did play the ball and Paddy Andrews dived. Watch it...Andrews thinks about it and then dives. The awful mistake beforehand took concentration away from what happened immediately after

Connelly clearly dived for the keegan black. Tomas or spillane said it was a clear pull to the ground while the cctv was showing it clearly wasnt....that sorta shit would be laughed out of court. Does no one call these pundits to account?! Connelly dived to get a free and/or a black...simple.

No matter what though, EVEN IF MAYO KEPT ALL THEIR players and even if no penalty was given, you just couldnt see them kicking on and winning....so frustrating because their ddefending and intensity was a joy to watch....they are just missing a go to scoring forward...even if they had Costello, a forward with a bit of pace and scoring threat they wouldve won...even one from b brogan, p andrews, mannion, costello, connelly or rock wouldve been enogh to get them over the line

Decision to bring Andy Moran off was mind boggling. Best ball winner and best baller. To be replaced by a tall gangly player they barely kicked the ball into was madness. He won one dubious free but was slower than slow out to the next ball..that wont win you an all ireland

Would like to see Andy Moran stay next year. Mayos best forward to watch.
Big o se again floundered on tthe biggest stage..winning of ball and pass to keegan was perfect but mayo needed scores, not wides from him down the home stretch. Clutch player he is not

1- it was clearly a penalty. Saying a Dublin player dived only draws me to conclude that you are under the influence

2- Keegan prevented Connolly sticking the ball in the back of the net - that's a black card

3- Andy moran was taken off because Mick Fitz obliterated him.

4- Mayo lost any chance of winning  the game because they changed the keeper . that's the unfortunate reality. And the bottom line. That is the Mayo's management's fault. ironic considering the Mayo players threw the last management team under the bus. Karma is an unusual thing.

I don't think black card rule states anything about a goal scoring opportunity. Granted it was brought in on the back of an incident where one was denied, but the rule doesn't state it.

I'm not from Mayo or Dublin, and didn't care who won. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and think Dubs just about deserved it.

I do know a couple of the Mayo players (from college days) and the setup they have no is light years ahead of what they got rid of 12 months ago. You probably don't know the ins and outs, or care for that matter. Why would you.

The Hill is Blue

Despite allegedly having no forwards and coming up against the often touted greatest forward line of all time, Dublin won by a solitary point, which was mostly courtesy of Mayo's keeper gifting them penalty.

Exactly. All you read in the media today is how Dublin got everything right and what Mayo done wrong. Proof that the script is dictated by the victors. Mayo were agonisingly close to winning the title but unfortunately they came up against a side that just had a little bit more quality.

Not to mention a Referee who got some major calls wrong which coincidentally all seemed to favour Dublin.

An objective viewing of the game would show that all of the referee's "wrong" calls did not "favour Dublin". It's a pity that after every big game someone will always cry "we were robbed" and blame the referee. It's so predictable.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

ZeitChrist

I have some sympathy with the referee as Gaelic football has become almost an impossible sport to referee properly but I did feel as though Dublin benefitted from the major decisions. Most notably failure to show Small a red card and also the decision to award a penalty when Hennelly clearly played the ball. He was so embarrassed by his mistake that he didn't even put up an argument but I felt that he won the ball first. The Small decision was more clear cut though and that was the lines mans fault

I actually agree re the peno. The keeper did play the ball and Paddy Andrews dived. Watch it...Andrews thinks about it and then dives. The awful mistake beforehand took concentration away from what happened immediately after

Connelly clearly dived for the keegan black. Tomas or spillane said it was a clear pull to the ground while the cctv was showing it clearly wasnt....that sorta shit would be laughed out of court. Does no one call these pundits to account?! Connelly dived to get a free and/or a black...simple.

No matter what though, EVEN IF MAYO KEPT ALL THEIR players and even if no penalty was given, you just couldnt see them kicking on and winning....so frustrating because their ddefending and intensity was a joy to watch....they are just missing a go to scoring forward...even if they had Costello, a forward with a bit of pace and scoring threat they wouldve won...even one from b brogan, p andrews, mannion, costello, connelly or rock wouldve been enogh to get them over the line

Decision to bring Andy Moran off was mind boggling. Best ball winner and best baller. To be replaced by a tall gangly player they barely kicked the ball into was madness. He won one dubious free but was slower than slow out to the next ball..that wont win you an all ireland

Big o se again floundered on tthe biggest stage..winning of ball and pass to keegan was perfect but mayo needed scores, not wides from him down the home stretch. Clutch player he is not

1- it was clearly a penalty. Saying a Dublin player dived only draws me to conclude that you are under the influence

2- Keegan prevented Connolly sticking the ball in the back of the net - that's a black card

4- Mayo lost any chance of winning  the game because they changed the keeper . that's the unfortunate reality. And the bottom line. That is the Mayo's management's fault. ironic considering the Mayo players threw the last management team under the bus. Karma is an unusual thing.

Karma? Not sure why some people are using this as an opportunity to  gloat or force the Mayo players to eat humble pie over the management issue. The call they made last year has left them open to a lot of criticism and I'm sure they knew that when they took the decision to vote against the management. They made that decision anyway, knowing they'd be criticised, and that takes courage. They lost this final by a solitary point after 160 minutes against the best team of the last few years. While I'm sure it's no consolation for them, there's no shame in how they did in both finals this year and few things here or there and they might have won. They're a good team and seem very determined. Rochford got the goalkeeper call wrong and it probably did cost them, but he got a lot of other calls very right throughout the year. He's a good manager and a young man too, so plenty of time to improve from this. There's no reason why they can't build and learn from this.

maigheo

no body takes Indiana seriously on this board anymore.As usual wrong about the black card rule.Well done to Dublin but this will be a hard one to take over the long winter.It did pop into my head after the drawn game re Hennelly and his kick outs being better then Clarkes but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think he would play.Clarke has a huge presence in the Mayo goals and offers peace of mind which is hard to quantify.His all star is now probably gone but I am sure thats the last thing on his mind right now.

ZeitChrist

Clarke should have been kept purely for the fact that he would have built a relationship with his fullback line over the course of big games in the summer. They looked a lot more confident with him behind him. Messing with that dynamic was a huge mistake.

tommy123

:(well as i said mayo would not win by agression albeit  notting like weeks ago but to lose by a point was great result foe mayo. if the peno was not given then mayo would have won .another thing to take out clarke?goalie was a stupid thing by mayo manager .that and only that lost them the game.mayo are a stronger team the strongest in ireland right  now and should have won this game .so the thing is mayshould be happy  to have brought dubs so close . and remember that mayo swept the wrong devil into wrong corner . good luck for next year the curse is all in the mind . no such thing .id say next year mayo will hold the sam because of the retirement og b brogan and other older  players. hard luck mayo . dublin fan in roscommon

INDIANA

Quote from: ZeitChrist on October 02, 2016, 08:16:18 PM

Karma? Not sure why some people are using this as an opportunity to  gloat or force the Mayo players to eat humble pie over the management issue. The call they made last year has left them open to a lot of criticism and I'm sure they knew that when they took the decision to vote against the management. They made that decision anyway, knowing they'd be criticised, and that takes courage. They lost this final by a solitary point after 160 minutes against the best team of the last few years. While I'm sure it's no consolation for them, there's no shame in how they did in both finals this year and few things here or there and they might have won. They're a good team and seem very determined. Rochford got the goalkeeper call wrong and it probably did cost them, but he got a lot of other calls very right throughout the year. He's a good manager and a young man too, so plenty of time to improve from this. There's no reason why they can't build and learn from this.

It was quite a call to get wrong. I can't recall in my life-time a keeper like Clarke who was the all star elect keeper getting dropped  for a final after a few airy kick-outs.  It's worse then Horan leaving Higgins on O Gara in 2013.

Mayo seem to be cursed with managers making bizarre sideline calls. I wonder who influenced Rochford to make that call. Because I do think he is a very fine manager and it's completely out of character if you look at his track record as a manager.

INDIANA

Quote from: maigheo on October 02, 2016, 08:39:46 PM
no body takes Indiana seriously on this board anymore.As usual wrong about the black card rule.Well done to Dublin but this will be a hard one to take over the long winter.It did pop into my head after the drawn game re Hennelly and his kick outs being better then Clarkes but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think he would play.Clarke has a huge presence in the Mayo goals and offers peace of mind which is hard to quantify.His all star is now probably gone but I am sure thats the last thing on his mind right now.

I take myself very seriously here because all my points are correct as usual.

Blue Island

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on October 02, 2016, 05:45:18 PM
The Hennelly decision was clearly the correct choice, Keegan's was a free in and at worse a yellow but there was no way it wasn't a black. Connolly's dive, protestations and the pressure got to Deegan. Cooper's black was correct but seemed a little harsh, it is a silly natural reaction to go for the leg. There was not much in Connolly and Vaughan coming together, the two yellows given were probably ok.
Small should have had a black before he should have got red although that was Coldrick's fault.
Connolly was then lucky not to pick up a second yellow for a cynical highish challenge.

Dublin may have had a second penalty for the barge on McMenamin but it would have been very harsh and there was similar down the under end when McMahon barged into Aidan O'Shea. No complaints with either of them issues.

There has been a lot of debate about the Keegan black card, but less about Cooper's. It was correct and was harsh, but I felt Cooper acted out in frustration. About 30 seconds before his black card he was flattened just after the Mayo goal. The umpire clearly saw it and seemed a little shocked. He was basically assaulted with his back to his attacker, who could clearly be seen driving his knee into him. On another day Cooper might have been carried off. The ref did feck all about it and a minute later he sent Copper to the line.

Players sometimes have a tendency to overreact, seek revenge, or foul, after they themselves have been wronged. I would imagine Cooper had reason to feel very aggrieved.

imtommygunn

After the card he got seamus o'shea last year maybe a touch of karma there then blue island...

thejuice

In a way Mayo did really well to be so close to a team that blew away most of the other competitors when you think that Mayo haven't much if an up front threat. If Mayo find two absolute top drawer forwards they'd have won that and they could utilize Aiden O'Shea more effectively.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

I don't think they even need to be top drawer forwards.
Just a couple of lads with pace and heart who could chip in with 1/2 points a game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

Quote from: thejuice on October 02, 2016, 09:40:41 PM
In a way Mayo did really well to be so close to a team that blew away most of the other competitors when you think that Mayo haven't much if an up front threat. If Mayo find two absolute top drawer forwards they'd have won that and they could utilize Aiden O'Shea more effectively.

I don't see what O Se offers the current Mayo team. 

mouview

Quote from: INDIANA on October 02, 2016, 09:17:02 PM
Quote from: maigheo on October 02, 2016, 08:39:46 PM

I take myself very seriously here because all my points are correct as usual.

As a neutral who had a very good view of it, I also actually thought it wasn't a penalty; Hennelly fumbled the ball, fell over backwards and palmed the ball to a teammate in the same movement. Dub player tried to intervene and manufactured a topple-over. Dublin player was never in possession or likely to get possession of the ball.