A shared future for county and club or chalk and cheese just dosent work!

Started by rrhf, February 25, 2017, 09:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Looking back today may well prove to be another building block in the process of professionalising the Gaa. This looks like a process with a goal that various presidents and congresses are determined to progress. In the year that the tough face of the GPA was replaced by a more acceptable face ,  I find it hard to believe the GPA are not secretly happy with this progress. There will and can only ever be 8 professional gaa teams. Expect big money to develop Antrim shortly whilst Tyrone cork mayo Kerry Dublin and 2 others will be professionalis teams in due course. Interesting times ahead.

LCohen

RedHandTom

Quote from: rrhf on February 25, 2017, 09:46:02 PM
Looking back today may well prove to be another building block in the process of professionalising the Gaa. This looks like a process with a goal that various presidents and congresses are determined to progress. In the year that the tough face of the GPA was replaced by a more acceptable face ,  I find it hard to believe the GPA are not secretly happy with this progress. There will and can only ever be 8 professional gaa teams. Expect big money to develop Antrim shortly whilst Tyrone cork mayo Kerry Dublin and 2 others will be professionalis teams in due course. Interesting times ahead.

Tyrone will be a professional team? Long way to go as we still ask players to pay 15 quid for socks and shorts

rrhf

I think it's inevitable. All the soundbites in the world won't change this path. Perhaps it now looks like there has been a long standing upheaval against democracy in the organisation. Perhaps the rest of us need to get real and embrace these changes or get off. Discuss?

Zulu

Any chance the hysterical nonsense on this board will stop??? Can any doomsday merchant please list out how anything that happened today warrants the end of the world predictions we've been subjected to?

seafoid

It's not going to happen. There isn't enough money in the game to support pro careers
Rugby only works cos of English and French TV subsidies.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/save/the_facts.php
Thus, although the Irish TV market contributes only €5 million pa to the central pot (c.€3m to the Six Nations pot and c.€2 million to the ERC pot), the other TV markets contribute much more, and the IRFU therefore receives €16 million each year from the central pot (c.€11m from Six Nations and c.€5m from ERC). This constitutes about 24% of the IRFU's total annual turnover.

The transition from pro to regular worker is very hard for people with no qualifications. The GAA model might even be better
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ONeill

RRHF, I just don't see how this country can sustain even a 8-team professional league.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Zulu

Quote from: ONeill on February 25, 2017, 10:18:42 PM
RRHF, I just don't see how this country can sustain even a 8-team professional league.

It can't. I'd love to hear a single positive suggestion from the moaners here. Too many around here are willing to abuse good GAA men without a single suggestion themselves.

rrhf

Quote from: Zulu on February 25, 2017, 10:14:33 PM
Any chance the hysterical nonsense on this board will stop??? Can any doomsday merchant please list out how anything that happened today warrants the end of the world predictions we've been subjected to?
There's always time for alternative debate. Some of us are not like yourself and never aspired to the elitist model and feel county and club players share the same hobby, honour standing and importance within the GAA. Why drive difference? Maybe we are the Eejits here.

rrhf

Quote from: Zulu on February 25, 2017, 10:21:56 PM

It can't. I'd love to hear a single positive suggestion from the moaners here. Too many around here are willing to abuse good GAA men without a single suggestion themselves.
Haven't read back but who is abusing anybody? Surely we all know that The club structure in the Gaa cledar needed organised before a money making racket of a plan for some counties was imposed. You build a good house from the ground up. Unless we are planning a different house here!

Zulu

Quote from: hardstation on February 25, 2017, 10:29:38 PM
Quote from: rrhf on February 25, 2017, 10:28:30 PM

Haven't read back but who is abusing anybody? Surely we all know that The club structure in the Gaa cledar needed organised before a money making racket of a plan for some counties was imposed. You build a good house from the ground up. Unless we are planning a different house here!
You, and all those club players are just anti-GAA.

Not directly on this thread but both Aoghan and Paraic have been abused in others and implied on this thread. Can the experts please lay out the real solutions?

rrhf

8 teams will wage out at between 1.5 to 2 million each. Already 6m per annum is already allocated to professional services By GPA. Addison also gate revenue will bring in 5- 10. Sky will ultimately fund the difference. There'll be a loss of good of their health sponsors but outright commercial sponsors will increase, a la rugby league model. Without sky or similar  the model can't be achieved.
Why would anybody be against the lads earning a few bob?

rrhf

Quote from: Zulu on February 25, 2017, 10:52:01 PM
Quote from: hardstation on February 25, 2017, 10:29:38 PM
Quote from: rrhf on February 25, 2017, 10:28:30 PM

You, and all those club players are just anti-GAA.

Not directly on this thread but both Aoghan and Paraic have been abused in others and implied on this thread. Can the experts please lay out the real solutions?
Shouldn't happen at all. Both good gaa men, but like most recent presidents they haven't dealt with clubs. The term enemy within is used to describe a decade of small steps that many think didn't have to be taken, towards a destination on the face of it most seem not to favour.

Rossfan

Tonight is depressing enough but some of the stuff posted on GAAboard today is making it worse.
"The enemy within"..ffs lads calm down.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM