Slaughtneil

Started by Feckitt, February 12, 2017, 02:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whishtup

Why does everybody say shhhhllacchtneil?  Is this how they say it around sschhhlllactneil?

The Stallion

Some might suggest that the pronunciation is the least objectionable thing about the place.

I wouldn't have time for such folk though.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Stallion on February 26, 2017, 10:31:11 PM
Some might suggest that the pronunciation is the least objectionable thing about the place.

I wouldn't have time for such folk though.

Good to know you're not a bitter man/woman and the positivity you have on the threads you post on is a breath of fresh ..... muck
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Stallion

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with my posts. It might be better for your mental health to just ignore them in future.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Stallion on February 27, 2017, 07:01:38 AM
You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with my posts. It might be better for your mental health to just ignore them in future.
Just when you talk shite
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mrs mills

Quote from: The Stallion on February 27, 2017, 07:01:38 AM

There there Stallion. Do not let these jesters bring out that wild side in you. Hold your head high, be calm and continue to coach those underage players in your club the way football should be played. At least you are giving freely of your time. Every week you are there at the pitch, striving to make the wee lads future county stars. I'm proud of you!

The Stallion

Thank you for the kind words Mrs Mills. Although I am perplexed by your decision to fabricate information about me.

If you wanted to make a point you probably should have just made it rather than pretend to have knowledge of how I spend my spare time.

magpie seanie

How come in all these pages the term "balubas" hasn't been mentioned? 😀😀😀😀😀

Aerlik

Been off the board for awheena months and have just come back (ahem...in time for the new AFL season - but I'll not elaborate on that!) and there yiz all are berating the Emmets.

Well, in my humble opinion what that club has achieved is fantastic, remarkable and worth every column inch of praise the club has been getting.

When I started out for the Kilrea u-12s, the one game you were guaranteed to win was against the Emmets.  And that continued for years.  The club often struggled to turn out a full team in the various grades, and it was not uncommon for u-16s playing senior reserve football.  Same with hurling.  You knew you'd be in a game with the Emmets, too, though. 

But the one thing that was so tangible among the Emmets was the spirit and club pride.  They introduced the forward-planning mentality and when the first signs of success were beckoning it wasn't long before they had the ball and were running.  Adrian McGuckin did exactly the same thing at Ballinderry, setting up excellent underage structures that was bought into by the whole community.  I recall playing at a S.Derry u-16 final and looking into the stands and seeing a whole raft of Ballinderry senior players on the sidelines roaring on their team.  We never had that same support in Kilrea and never enjoyed much success despite there being some incredibly talented players.

So,no, I don't care where the McGuigans live, or how many generations of Cassidys played for the club or other such shite that some have been spewing on here on this thread. 

The club is a wonderful example of GAA culture, Irish culture and just great community spirit.  I was most pleased for the hurlers as they broke the hoodoo Derry teams losing Ulster finals.  Sure they didn't beat Cuala but as Cuala are in unchartered ground too, I will be hoping they win the final.

Billy Magoo, hats off to your club, fella.  And here's to an All-Ireland double. 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

OverTheBlackSpot

Quote from: Aerlik on March 02, 2017, 11:31:31 AM
Been off the board for awheena months and have just come back (ahem...in time for the new AFL season - but I'll not elaborate on that!) and there yiz all are berating the Emmets.

Well, in my humble opinion what that club has achieved is fantastic, remarkable and worth every column inch of praise the club has been getting.

When I started out for the Kilrea u-12s, the one game you were guaranteed to win was against the Emmets.  And that continued for years.  The club often struggled to turn out a full team in the various grades, and it was not uncommon for u-16s playing senior reserve football.  Same with hurling.  You knew you'd be in a game with the Emmets, too, though. 

But the one thing that was so tangible among the Emmets was the spirit and club pride.  They introduced the forward-planning mentality and when the first signs of success were beckoning it wasn't long before they had the ball and were running.  Adrian McGuckin did exactly the same thing at Ballinderry, setting up excellent underage structures that was bought into by the whole community.  I recall playing at a S.Derry u-16 final and looking into the stands and seeing a whole raft of Ballinderry senior players on the sidelines roaring on their team.  We never had that same support in Kilrea and never enjoyed much success despite there being some incredibly talented players.

So,no, I don't care where the McGuigans live, or how many generations of Cassidys played for the club or other such shite that some have been spewing on here on this thread. 

The club is a wonderful example of GAA culture, Irish culture and just great community spirit.  I was most pleased for the hurlers as they broke the hoodoo Derry teams losing Ulster finals.  Sure they didn't beat Cuala but as Cuala are in unchartered ground too, I will be hoping they win the final.

Billy Magoo, hats off to your club, fella.  And here's to an All-Ireland double.

Good man, at last someone talking sense.

PW Nally

Was there always hurling in the area and does it have equal standing with the football?

The Stallion

Hurling doesn't have equal standing with football in any club in Derry in my opinion. No doubt someone will claim otherwise but it certainly doesn't seem that way to me.

It's a real pity because Derry have always produced really good hurlers and as they showed in 2000 when they gave Offaly a scare, when they all get together and play they're capable of being competitive. That side obviously had better players than now like Geoffrey, the Collins and Biggs brothers etc, but if hurling was treated as seriously as football those times could return.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: PW Nally on March 03, 2017, 10:33:12 AM
Was there always hurling in the area and does it have equal standing with the football?

Paid lip service by the county board, lots of hurlers moved to a playing county football rather than throw their lot into hurling, the schools always produced tough teams and when I played at juvenile level they played in the Antrim leagues and it was tough!!

Derry have too small a pick to generate a quality senior team, football will always be the sport of choice, hopefully S'Neil's run of late will spur on a log of youngsters to take up the caman. It remains to be seen though, only takes a decent run from the footballers to take the shine of that

Champion The Wonder Horse

Great post Aerlik, but Slaughtneil (I nearly typed Balubas to please magpie seanie) didn't have an under 12 team in your day, hence the guaranteed two points. They started at under 14; some of their team would have played under 14 for Slaughtneil on a Friday night and then under 12 for ourselves on a Saturday morning.

You're under-selling your own club as well, Kilrea had a super group throughout your underage career.

Billy Magoo

GRMA.