NFL Division 1

Started by macdanger2, January 26, 2016, 10:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: straightred on February 27, 2017, 04:32:55 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 27, 2017, 02:49:53 PM
Seen Monaghan twice now. Once Live and Once on TV. They are motoring in a high gear at the moment. They are also playing on the edge. In Castlebar with their intensity they sorta caught everyone on the Hop including the Ref. They had a game plan, got into the Mayo heads and controlled the game including the referee who they read like a book. They did the same with Kerry yesterday. Sheehan took the bate.

eh? Hughes took 3 blows to the head yesterday and eventually had to go off with concussion. Walshe had to go off after a heavy knock. It was tough football but you can't say that it was just Monaghan that were "on the edge". Same with the castlebar game (that I was at and therefore saw 1st hand). Mayo are no shrinking violets and they gave as good as they got. From a team that many thought had a soft centre they are now as physical as anyone. The ref didn't allow COC to ref the game that night - fair play to him for that.

Hard to know if monaghan are peaking too soon. I don't even know if they are peaking. Kerry were awful yesterday and Mayo weren't much better in Castlebar. They've probably done enough to stay up but I think they should be pushing on and trying to get to the final. A crack at a Div 1 title would be a huge achievement for a small county like Monaghan and they've put themselves in a great position.
If Div 1 status is safe before the last game, then Monaghan will have achieved full satisfaction in the league campaign.
In order to survive in Div I, Monaghan have to take it seriously, none of this Kerry lark of just doing enough. It's deemed a necessary price to pay. If as you say Kerry were awful and Mayo slightly less awful, then by your reckoning winning the Div 1 title would not be a huge achievement.

What would be a big achievement in 2017 would be to win Ulster, going into it as a distant third rated team and with those Cavan hoors biting at our ankles.

J70

Quote from: Main Street on February 27, 2017, 08:54:37 PM
Seen Monaghan twice now. Once Live and Once on TV. They are motoring in a high gear at the moment. They are also playing on the edge. In Castlebar with their intensity they sorta caught everyone on the Hop including the Ref. They had a game plan, got into the Mayo heads and controlled the game including the referee who they read like a book. They did the same with Kerry yesterday. Sheehan took the bate.

eh? Hughes took 3 blows to the head yesterday and eventually had to go off with concussion. Walshe had to go off after a heavy knock. It was tough football but you can't say that it was just Monaghan that were "on the edge". Same with the castlebar game (that I was at and therefore saw 1st hand). Mayo are no shrinking violets and they gave as good as they got. From a team that many thought had a soft centre they are now as physical as anyone. The ref didn't allow COC to ref the game that night - fair play to him for that.

Hard to know if monaghan are peaking too soon. I don't even know if they are peaking. Kerry were awful yesterday and Mayo weren't much better in Castlebar. They've probably done enough to stay up but I think they should be pushing on and trying to get to the final. A crack at a Div 1 title would be a huge achievement for a small county like Monaghan and they've put themselves in a great position.
If Div 1 status is safe before the last game, then Monaghan will have achieved full satisfaction in the league campaign.
In order to survive in Div I, Monaghan have to take it seriously, none of this Kerry lark of just doing enough. It's deemed a necessary price to pay. If as you say Kerry were awful and Mayo slightly less awful, then by your reckoning winning the Div 1 title would not be a huge achievement.

What would be a big achievement in 2017 would be to win Ulster, going into it as a distant third rated team and with those Cavan hoors biting at our ankles.

Distant third rated?

Behind Tyrone and whom?

Its certainly not us. We barely scraped by ye last year and we've lost a serious chunk of the team since.

straightred

Not saying that at all. Kerry were rubbish yesterday - i dont think anyone would argue otherwise. Monaghan beat them but they themselves had plenty to improve on. The gave up 3 great goal chances for a start. My point was I dont know if monaghan have peaked yet in the same way as say roscommon did peak early last year. A div 1 title would be fantastic. I'm old enough to remember 85 !

Main Street

Quote from: straightred on February 27, 2017, 10:32:44 PM

Not saying that at all. Kerry were rubbish yesterday - i dont think anyone would argue otherwise. Monaghan beat them but they themselves had plenty to improve on. The gave up 3 great goal chances for a start. My point was I dont know if monaghan have peaked yet in the same way as say roscommon did peak early last year. A div 1 title would be fantastic. I'm old enough to remember 85 !
Quote from: J70 on February 27, 2017, 08:58:14 PM

Distant third rated?

Behind Tyrone and whom?

Its certainly not us. We barely scraped by ye last year and we've lost a serious chunk of the team since.
´tis Donegal and I'm not under egging Monaghan
Now the betting average is 2nd fav Donegal @ 3/1 with Monaghan @ 6/1,  that's a distance, but of course you'd have to beat Tyrone in order to get to the final. But whoever wins that game would most certainly be favourite.

In order for Monaghan to earn a final spot they have to beat 3 teams, which is a very tall enough order for Monaghan  but  if it did come down to an Ulster final between Monaghan and  Donegal (after they beat Tyrone)  then in all probability most would favour Donegal.
(i.e. most except J70).

Main Street

Getting rid of the league semi finals was a good decision, the finals are finished before easter and  even if Monaghan made the final by mistake, there's a 6 weeks gap before the preliminary v Fermanagh. i think the team and management should be experienced enough to handle their preparations.

gwan-ye-boy-ya

Now everyone can see it.....  https://youtu.be/06tfa8GvR2E

J70

Quote from: Main Street on February 27, 2017, 11:32:55 PM

Quote from: J70 on February 27, 2017, 08:58:14 PM

Distant third rated?

Behind Tyrone and whom?

´tis Donegal and I'm not under egging Monaghan
Now the betting average is 2nd fav Donegal @ 3/1 with Monaghan @ 6/1,  that's a distance, but of course you'd have to beat Tyrone in order to get to the final. But whoever wins that game would most certainly be favourite.

In order for Monaghan to earn a final spot they have to beat 3 teams, which is a very tall enough order for Monaghan  but  if it did come down to an Ulster final between Monaghan and  Donegal (after they beat Tyrone)  then in all probability most would favour Donegal.
(i.e. most except J70).

I get that you have an extra game to make the final (albeit it the draw is not exactly lopsided like it was for us in 2015), but have you been paying any attention to the upheaval in the Donegal squad? (Obviously the punters haven't!)

I don't know the strength of the Monaghan team this year, but we have lost Rory Kavanagh, Christy Toye, Eamon McGee, Neil Gallagher, Odhran MacNiallais, Anthony Thompson, Leo McLoone and Colm McFadden (David Walsh is gone too, but he hasn't featured much). I think the figures quoted were that we've lost almost 800 games worth of experience. Our line-up will feature at least four or five debutants and several others who made their debuts this past season. We are absolutely at the start of a period of transition. And that doesn't just go for personnel. The damage limitation exercise against the Dubs aside, they're trying to move away from the blanket defense stuff too to better suit the players available.

There is no way in hell we are going to win an Ulster title this year. You'll be meeting Tyrone. Its time to get ready face your demons. Just like we (sort of) have with you lot! :)

imtommygunn

What is up with macniallis? Didn't know he had gone.

J70

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 28, 2017, 07:25:05 AM

Opted out for the year. Same with Leo and Anthony Thompson. Ironically, they've opened up space for Thompson's younger brother and other players.

Maroon Manc

Did Donegal play a couple of minors from last year against Dublin?

PW Nally

Quote from: J70 on February 28, 2017, 11:37:23 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 28, 2017, 07:25:05 AM

Opted out for the year. Same with Leo and Anthony Thompson. Ironically, they've opened up space for Thompson's younger brother and other players.
Ciaran Thompson looks a lovely player. What age is he?
MacNiallais a big loss. A player with oodles of talent.

J70

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 28, 2017, 11:51:38 AM
Did Donegal play a couple of minors from last year against Dublin?

Think Jason McGee was the only one from last year's team to play Sunday.

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on February 28, 2017, 01:57:37 AM
I get that you have an extra game to make the final (albeit it the draw is not exactly lopsided like it was for us in 2015), but have you been paying any attention to the upheaval in the Donegal squad? (Obviously the punters haven't!)

I don't know the strength of the Monaghan team this year, but we have lost Rory Kavanagh, Christy Toye, Eamon McGee, Neil Gallagher, Odhran MacNiallais, Anthony Thompson, Leo McLoone and Colm McFadden (David Walsh is gone too, but he hasn't featured much). I think the figures quoted were that we've lost almost 800 games worth of experience. Our line-up will feature at least four or five debutants and several others who made their debuts this past season. We are absolutely at the start of a period of transition. And that doesn't just go for personnel. The damage limitation exercise against the Dubs aside, they're trying to move away from the blanket defense stuff too to better suit the players available.

There is no way in hell we are going to win an Ulster title this year. You'll be meeting Tyrone. Its time to get ready face your demons. Just like we (sort of) have with you lot! :)
Monaghan have enough to think about just to get to the final, thoughts of crushing those red demons can wait.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: gwan-ye-boy-ya on February 28, 2017, 12:02:01 AM

Now everyone can see it.....  https://youtu.be/06tfa8GvR2E

Whatever about the sublime point scoring the philosophy was mighty - boot the ball up the field and go for a score.. no concept of keep ball and wind the clock down whatsoever, a refreshing reminder of the past!  ;)

Main Street

That video is just Scotstown propaganda  ::)