NFL Division 1

Started by macdanger2, January 26, 2016, 10:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on January 27, 2016, 03:03:05 PM
I'd say we won't even be able to keep the ball kicked out to the 7 superteams :-[

Claff has been doing a good job keeping balls from both teams recently.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Beffs on January 27, 2016, 03:32:06 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 27, 2016, 02:57:17 PM
I think Mayo will win the league. The injury list is not as bad as the media make out and up to 11 starters from their last championship game could line out in Cork on Sunday. A league title straight away for Rochford will show he means business.

Dublin could take a relax approach to the league this year and it wouldnt surprise me if they miss out on a semi final spot. Down and Roscommon have done great to rise to div one but I think the bookies will be spot on and it will be a short visit to div one for both.

Why would they take a relaxed approach to this years league, when they haven't exactly been sitting on their arse for their previous 3 league campaigns under Jim Gavin? He had a very strong team lining out against Longford. It had about half of the team that started in the AI final on it. If he's doing that for the lowly O'Byrne Cup, I doubt if he is going to try and take it handy during the league.

There is a lot of competition for places in that squad too, especially among the forwards. So I'd say a lot of them will be up for laying down a marker, when it comes to hanging onto their jerseys, or nabbing someone elses.

You do realise the last few years Dublin due to experimenting with different teams and systems only sneaked into semi finals when it looked like they wouldn't. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if they miss out on semi final spot this year however if they do reach the semi final I would expect Dublin to win the league again.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Rossfan on January 27, 2016, 03:03:05 PM
I'd say we won't even be able to keep the ball kicked out to the 7 superteams :-[

You're exaggerating again Rossfan, there are only 6 superteams.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Beffs

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 27, 2016, 04:13:24 PM
You do realise the last few years Dublin due to experimenting with different teams and systems only sneaked into semi finals when it looked like they wouldn't. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if they miss out on semi final spot this year however if they do reach the semi final I would expect Dublin to win the league again.

Yes, I am well aware that they experiment in the early rounds of the league, but that hasn't stopped them from winning the thing for the last 3 years. I don't see any reason for that not to happen again this year. Not unless the Mayos and the Kerrys step up this year. Given their injury problems (as well as the general malaise that exists in the counties towards using the league to prep for the summer,) I don't think they will.

To win the league, you don't need to top the table after the last round of games. You just need to be somewhere in the top 4 to make it to the semis. Once they are there, it's late April and all of their big names have returned, its plain sailing for them.....well, it is more than when it was back in February, when they were trying to eek out a result with their B squad & a few of their U21's

From the Bunker

The league is a strange animal. Everybody want to be at the top table. To win the league you have to be better in second gear than 4 teams 3 wins can some times get you there. Dublin will win it. They will do enough to sneak in. Mayo/Kerry/Cork/Donegal won't care bar staying up. Last year Donegal just fulfilled the semi final fixture. They had no heed on it. Mayo were the same the year before. I think both qualified trying to avoid relegation. Poor Eugene McGee nearly had a banana saying Derry could teach Mayo a lot after they defeated Mayo in 2014. And he was right they taught us that you can invest to much into the league. Derry went out to Longford in the championship.

Syferus

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0127/763482-bernard-flynn/

Berno Flynn reckons we'll cut a dash right through D1 and stay up. Hopefully we prove him right. He's about right in how serious we are about the Monaghan game. It's not our championship but it's more important to our future than many championship games have been.

Rossfan

Sligo and Fermanagh games had a bit of effect on our future ;)( and John Evans' too)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Unlaoised

If Roscommon make a hash of things the way the did picking the first venue for their game then there isn't much hope....

I'd love to see them Down and Monaghan do well to prove a few of the bigger teams wrong.

Massive games if any of them can get 4 points from them then they could stay up or more.

Dublin will reach the semi but I fancy maybe Cork to win it !
LAOIS ABÚ

Syferus

Quote from: Unlaoised on January 28, 2016, 04:08:17 PM
If Roscommon make a hash of things the way the did picking the first venue for their game then there isn't much hope....

I'd love to see them Down and Monaghan do well to prove a few of the bigger teams wrong.

Massive games if any of them can get 4 points from them then they could stay up or more.

Dublin will reach the semi but I fancy maybe Cork to win it !

Nonsense.

larryin89

We will see in a short few weeks time who's talking the nonsense , like I've said previous , Ros get relegated and it's a complete disaster for the whole set up .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

No it's not.
I hope we can stay up but if we don't so be it.
It's all about what happens after May day.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

The Dubs to win another league title because their strength in depth is way ahead of the rest. Would be a bold prediction to say Down or Roscommon will avoid relegation.

I think it's now time to scrap the semi finals for a group eight.

larryin89

Quote from: Rossfan on January 28, 2016, 08:02:19 PM
No it's not.
I hope we can stay up but if we don't so be it.
It's all about what happens after May day.

Well I'd have to disagree with you there sir . If relegated , Nestor cup becomes your only way to salvage progression and that sir is not going to happen imho as Mayo will walk Connacht once again but sure it's all about difference of opinion . I'd be interested to hear your take though if that were to happen , let's say worst case scenario , relegation, heavy defeat to ourselves in cf and an exit in qualifying rd , would you then begin to question the ability and expectations of this current crop of Roscommon footballers ?
I just don't get the whole vibe about Roscommon , most people would say my worst case scenario example above is not going to happen but on the flip side of that , the betting forecast would suggest that's not  quite favourite but very near it . Roscommon are at a very important crossroads in their development as a team , you have to see the fruits of it soon or you'll see another false dawn very quick.

Everything is about timeline with these development plans , Ros are depending on factors they don't control as such like the demise of Mayo as quite clearly suggested by John Evans last year , Galway seem to be forgotten (why I'll never understand) . Then you have the fact your experienced players have no experience of winning to lend to the youth coming through (which I admit look very decent but unproven at top level yet) . Interesting times ahead for sure, I won't lie I will be looking to see how Ros get on with interest but I still don't feel like I'm looking over my shoulder yet .

Ps. I don't gloss over the rivalry like your bullshit GAA supporter , I hope Ye get stuffed on Sunday. 😄
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 28, 2016, 08:11:10 PM
The Dubs to win another league title because their strength in depth is way ahead of the rest. Would be a bold prediction to say Down or Roscommon will avoid relegation.

Scrap Semi and Final altogether. Table topper is Champion. The Semi-finals and finals have been awful the last couple of years. Most semifinalists don't want to make final against Dublin as they know they will get a hiding. Donegal and Mayo being prime examples in 2015 and 2014 respectively.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 28, 2016, 08:54:22 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 28, 2016, 08:11:10 PM

Scrap Semi and Final altogether. Table topper is Champion. The Semi-finals and finals have been awful the last couple of years. Most semifinalists don't want to make final against Dublin as they know they will get a hiding. Donegal and Mayo being prime examples in 2015 and 2014 respectively.

The D2 final was mighty last year 8). D1 final not so much because Cork had absolutely no conviction they could win going in. Monaghan gave Dublin a real rattle in the semi sure.

Top two playing each other may be better in D1, but honestly the semis give the chance of a new team getting a run at a league title. You tend to need massive depth to be in the top two of D1. No way the semis should be at Croker though, maybe neutral venues or home advantage to the top two?