Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: naka on June 21, 2023, 01:46:46 PM
As I said Kerry are as apt to drop knees, nip ,etc and have always been for as long as I remember
Cathal o Rourke being taken out in 2000
Kennelly in the all Ireland final throw in against cork to name two that aren't even recent
Undoubtedly as cynical as anyone and  fair play they know how to
Win

Cathal O'Rourke who's main job that day in 2000 (admitted by Oisín McConville) was to take out Darragh O'Sé? Yeah jog on..

And name one example of a Kerry player dropping their knees on a player?

Plenty over the line stuff goes on and Kerry have plenty of players who have transgressed. Paul Galvin, Aidan O'Mahony etc. But there's no need to just make stuff up.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

naka

Cathal o Rourke was excellent in the first drawn game
Was taken out in the replay
Can we agree on this at least , if you recall your player was booked then substituted.
If you note I haven't named any names apart from Kennelly who acknowledged what he did  so won't be.
Let's agree to differ .

Throw ball

Quote from: naka on June 21, 2023, 05:00:20 PM

Can we agree on this at least , if you recall your player was booked then substituted.
If you note I haven't named any names apart from Kennelly who acknowledged what he did  so won't be.
Let's agree to differ .

You are right. As the referee threw the ball in at the start of the game O'Shea punched O'Rourke in a very sore area. He struggled until taken off. If I remember rightly O'Shea got booked in All Ireland final for an off the ball hit too.

As for Kerry in general. The 2006 quarter final first 20 minutes of second half v Armagh was a rough a display as I have seen from any county.

tonto1888

Kerry can be rough alright. You don't be as successful as they have been without but I can't remember any of their players dripping knees on anyone

tbrick18

Quote from: Solo_run on June 21, 2023, 03:35:13 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 21, 2023, 02:05:34 PM
As gaelic football has become a much less physical sport with players told to avoid taking the ball into contact, there is less room for those types of players. Most inter county players now are lean, athletic and are comfortable playing anywhere on the pitch. There is much less room for the enforcers of the past whose sole job was to stop the opponent. There are a lot of defenders from 10-20 years ago who would be out of place if asked to play the modern game as a result of this. I can't think of very many genuine hard men (dirty players) left playing the game at the top level.

Can barely get away with a good clean shoulder hit these days.

This frustrates the life out of me.
It's fine in hurling to put a shoulder in, but in football it 99% a free!

tbrick18

As I said Kerry are as apt to drop knees, nip ,etc and have always been for as long as I remember
Kennelly in the all Ireland final throw in against cork to name two that aren't even recent
Win

That shrinking violet  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 22, 2023, 12:11:11 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on June 21, 2023, 03:35:13 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 21, 2023, 02:05:34 PM
As gaelic football has become a much less physical sport with players told to avoid taking the ball into contact, there is less room for those types of players. Most inter county players now are lean, athletic and are comfortable playing anywhere on the pitch. There is much less room for the enforcers of the past whose sole job was to stop the opponent. There are a lot of defenders from 10-20 years ago who would be out of place if asked to play the modern game as a result of this. I can't think of very many genuine hard men (dirty players) left playing the game at the top level.

Can barely get away with a good clean shoulder hit these days.

This frustrates the life out of me.
It's fine in hurling to put a shoulder in, but in football it 99% a free!

Its the position of the shoulder that makes the free or not..

I've been guilty of calling a hefty shoulder a free in the past, and its a split second call, most ya get right but there is nothing better in a game when a shoulder goes in and puts them on their arse!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

blanketattack

Win

You must think this Kerry team are very clean that you're going back 14 years and 23 years to a completely different generation of players for examples. Are you sure you're not missing some incident from the 1953 All-Ireland final as well?
Contrast that to Armagh where in the last 12 months alone, you've eye-gouging, dropping the knee on a head and hitting a player on the ground's head twice.
This current Armagh team are a filthy team commiting thugish acts, and no amount of whataboutery changes that fact.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: naka on June 21, 2023, 05:00:20 PM

Let's agree to differ .

Eh no, we're not going to agree..you said "Kerry are apt to drop the knees"...

Give me one example of that happening or else admit you were making it up or talking sh*t.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...