Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

"Another Dooher but with more skill". Sounds great about Mulgrew and hopefully he develops well and doesn't get any bad injuries to set him back. We seem to have an abundance of half forwards and half backs.
Poor Richie Donnelly seems very injury prone but hopefully he's OK come mid summer.

I've given up asking about free taking square_ball. I noticed McCurry is hitting the 45s this year so far in the league whereas I thought Pete would have been the man for those

Mikhailov

Quote from: RedHandTom on February 21, 2017, 10:26:06 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on February 21, 2017, 02:46:20 PM
How good is this David Mulgrew fella? I saw him for the first time last Sat night against the Dubs and he's a lot bigger than I was expecting.

Is he mainly a wing forward? Who would you compare him to?

He's deadly. He makes the u21s tick at centre half forward. He can play anyehere, but wing back or wing forward are probably his best positions. He's exceptionally good on the ball and very athletic. Not unlike Dooher in his hay day, but probably more skillful.

right lets get this straight - you say he is deadly (and I do agree) but you also claim his best position is wing back or wing forward but he does not play for the U21's in either of these positions. Surely at this grade his best position is central ie; CHF where he can control and dictate the game. He has filled out and bulked up big time in the last 18 months but the step up to senior will be the acid test and I think he should concentrate on developing as a CHF type player.
I hope he does it, he is a naturally gifted player but we have loads of those type of player who can play anywhere from 5-12 in the wing positions. It is from 13-15 that is our problem.....if he can add scores to his game then he could even secure a place in the FFL.

redhandofgod

Frank Burns bound to be ahead of Mulgrew, but for Pomeroy's run I am sure would have played more. i'd say we will see him get a run of games now.

Il Bomber Destro

What's the view on Ronan McHugh, lads?

Is he simply there to make up the numbers or is he generally capable of pushing the likes of Bradley, O'Neill and McCurry? He seemed to score fairly well during the pre season games.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 22, 2017, 10:15:09 PM

Is he simply there to make up the numbers or is he generally capable of pushing the likes of Bradley, O'Neill and McCurry? He seemed to score fairly well during the pre season games.

Find it strange him and Ronan McNamee are allowed to play Donegal League football!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 22, 2017, 10:15:09 PM

Personally don't think he is good enough to push those players. Brennan, Mulgrew be well ahead of him in the pecking order to i would imagine.

RedHandTom

Quote from: Mikhailov on February 22, 2017, 01:45:39 PM
How good is this David Mulgrew fella? I saw him for the first time last Sat night against the Dubs and he's a lot bigger than I was expecting.

He's deadly. He makes the u21s tick at centre half forward. He can play anyehere, but wing back or wing forward are probably his best positions. He's exceptionally good on the ball and very athletic. Not unlike Dooher in his hay day, but probably more skillful.

right lets get this straight - you say he is deadly (and I do agree) but you also claim his best position is wing back or wing forward but he does not play for the U21's in either of these positions. Surely at this grade his best position is central ie; CHF where he can control and dictate the game. He has filled out and bulked up big time in the last 18 months but the step up to senior will be the acid test and I think he should concentrate on developing as a CHF type player.
I hope he does it, he is a naturally gifted player but we have loads of those type of player who can play anywhere from 5-12 in the wing positions. It is from 13-15 that is our problem.....if he can add scores to his game then he could even secure a place in the FFL.

He's CHF for u21s cos that's where they need him most. His best position, which is usually judged at senior level, is one if the wing positions where he has space to ball carry. He is an excellent ball carrier, he has pace and balance and can pass and score. A serious prospect.

EastTyrone

Quote from: RedHandTom on February 22, 2017, 10:41:06 PM

He's CHF for u21s cos that's where they need him most. His best position, which is usually judged at senior level, is one if the wing positions where he has space to ball carry. He is an excellent ball carrier, he has pace and balance and can pass and score. A serious prospect.

This RedHandTom fella is either on this U21 team himself or has a son/relation on it. I have never seen such a Tyrone u21 fanatic in my life.
Hope ye have a good season!

WT4E

I think we can agree that the number 11 jersey is nailed down after the last game?

Mikhailov

Quote from: EastTyrone on February 23, 2017, 09:37:08 AM
Quote from: RedHandTom on February 22, 2017, 10:41:06 PM

This RedHandTom fella is either on this U21 team himself or has a son/relation on it. I have never seen such a Tyrone u21 fanatic in my life.
Hope ye have a good season!

think you are definitely right on that. He knows way too much info to not be involved. Nobody knows or hears anything about the U21's then we have RHT giving us friendly results, positional ideas, player updates - he must be heavily involved. the U21's has been very low key until he started to keep us all updated.....

Fuzzman

Yeah Niall Sludden's performances since his championship debut last year have been pretty amazing.
It's interesting that he's 24 now and he looks all of a sudden like one of our best scoring forwards having mainly played as a half back before this year.
He scored 4 points in last years championship but he already has 5 in this years 2 league games.
What has pleased me is his ability to break the line and find space in congested areas and like many have said before it would be nice to have him, Harte and Mattie at half forward getting on the ball as much as possible in shooting areas.

From the Examiner last June before the Cavan game
Tyrone tyro Niall Sludden looks an old hand
He has played just one championship game, but Niall Sludden looks like he's made for the big time.
Bristling with confidence, this is a young man with the perfect temperament for the modern game.

An ice-cool debut against Derry last month heralded the arrival of yet another exceptional Red Hand talent, a player equipped with a fully developed skillset and the versatility of a seasoned campaigner. But it's his confidence and self-belief that set him apart from scores of youngsters who annually take nervous first steps into the world of inter-county football.

Sludden's first appearance at a media briefing at Garvaghey was a masterclass. The 23-year-old, fielding a barrage of questions from the media pack, declared his readiness to take on responsibility and play a central role for Tyrone.

"Over the last few years I haven't really had a steady position. I'm just happy to play anywhere for the team," he said. "But I like slotting in at number six. You feel that you have got extra responsibility. Even though I'm new myself, I'm happy to take on those greater responsibilities."

The Dromore man was a perfect fit in Tyrone's highly organised defensive system as they dismantled the Oak Leaf challenge at Celtic Park.

Feeding off the guidance of experienced players such as sweeper Colm Cavanagh, he quickly settled in to turn in an assured performance.

"It's great for me, especially as a new player coming in there. Colm is a massive leader, and he's always communicating, talking especially to the younger players.

"It's very reassuring to have him there and to call on his experience. But I like to keep him right as well. That's important too, because we're always learning."

Pre-match nerves weren't an issue for a player who repaid the faith of boss Mickey Harte with a performance which earned rave reviews. "It's the place I want to be. It was great. I wasn't nervous that much. I thought I would have been. The way the game went, I slotted in effectively to the team," he said.

"It's very nice, from a personal point of view, to get appreciated, but I'm old enough now to know that football is a very fickle game as well, and I'm very much concentrated on the next game against Cavan, so I just want to perform for that as well, if I get the chance."

Sludden will meet many old adversaries in Sunday's Ulster Championship semi-final at Clones.

As an U21 player, he came up against Cavan during a golden era for the Breffni County, winning four provincial finals in a row, two of them against Tyrone.

"It was two in a row that I lost out, but that's long gone now to be honest. It was tough to take around that time, but you just have to move on. Cavan deserved their wins."

And in his first year in the senior squad, he has faced Cavan twice already in the National League. "We came up against them a few weeks ago, and we know them very well, we know what to expect from them. It's going to be very tough, it's going to be physical and it's going to be a battle, but we like that as well."

RedHandTom

I have a nephew on the squad actually. Plus I have coached a couple of them in the past. Not a fanatic, just a supporter.

nrico2006

A bit OTT from Paddy Tally.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=266660

Manager Paddy Tally rates St Mary's stunning Sigerson Cup win as "one of the greatest ever stories in gaelic games".

The Ranch defied the odds last weekend by beating UCC and holders UCD to claim the prestigious third-level silverware for the first time since 1989 and Tally was suitably impressed by what his charges achieved:

"I said to the players after the match, 'You have to understand what you have actually done, what you have achieved. What you achieved here is one of the greatest ever stories in Gaelic games. In terms of team sports, it might be one of the greatest stories ever written'. There is no other way to describe it," he told The Belfast Telegraph.

"You can't really put your finger on what happens in St Mary's. It's unique. The only thing it is akin to is your club team. And in those four years you probably spend more time with the St Mary's lads. You are living with each other, you are spending 10, 11 hours together, so it's an intense friendship. And when they go onto the field, there is a bond that you refuse to lie down.

"All of a sudden we had this bunch of players that I knew were strong and were good. We just had to make sure we got the rest of it right. As the competition went on, the day they beat DCU they realised they could go and win the thing. That was the day that we knew we were good enough to win the Sigerson Cup."
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Localexpert

http://www.newstalk.com/tyrone-footballers-funding-issues

"The communication states that chairwoman Roisin Jordan is insisting upon a £15 contribution from each player towards sports equipment.

We've also learned that there has been an "ongoing battle" with the Tyrone county board over resources, over the timely payment of mileage costs, and other expenses.

"She is insisting that we contribute towards it despite the fact that the county has made a surplus on the accounts for some time," reads the email under the subject heading 'Disgusted Tyrone Senior Footballer'.

"This is not about the £15. It's about month after month of cut after cut," the email continues.

"Roisin Jordan has over the course of the last three years made it her mission to cut spending from the preparation of the county teams. We are told that we need to tighten our belts.

It's becoming impossible to prepare ourselves to win an All-Ireland in a climate of cut, cut cut... When we look at the money spent on the preparation of the county teams we are nowhere near the top spenders."

Tyrone's total income for 2016 was £1.38 million, with the expenditure at £1.23 million - meaning county board spending went down by £17,800 from 2015."

Looks like all is not well within the Tyrone camp and a mutiny in brewing..... are they right or are they taking too much notice of the pampered lifestyle of professional footballers? 

God14

Wow!!

1. Not a panel statement , wonder what his teammates and harte will feel about it?
2. Jordan is finished. No way back from this for her. Relations with club tyrone will be graded
Reflects poorly on the county, the true cost of garvaghy ? Lots to ponder