Gaelic Football RIP

Started by High Fielder, July 21, 2018, 06:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christmas Lights

Quote from: yellowcard on August 14, 2018, 02:08:03 PM
I don't think that too many people would disagree that the game has turned into too much of a possession based game with very limited contested possession outside of the attacking teams 45 metre line. Then you have the blight of the handpass, the backwards pass and the often pointless retention of possession. We need more contested duels in the game where there is an opportunity to turn possession over.

1) Restrict the handpass to 3/4 consecutive.
2) Ban the backwards pass inside your own half
3) All kick outs must be kicked past the 45 metre line (there was a token attempt to increase this 7 metres in the last year but nothing much has changed).

This will all lead to more duels for possession, more physical contests, more kick passing and more engagement for supporters.

There are other more technical/refereeing issues that need addressing such as a time clock and a review of the black card but fix the above and it would help the game dramatically.

everyone of those suggestions are pure shite tbf.  Would make the game a farce.  A hybird of basketball and netball FFS

Jayop

The only rules changes I would possibly advocate now are...

1) Remove the black card. It's a farce, and has only legitimized cynical play. Replace this with a 21 yard free and a 10 minute sin bin. I'd include cynical and dangerous play in this because the tackles around the neck are going to hurt someone badly if they're not stamped out.

2) Introduce a timing system ala rugby/ladies football where the clock is actually stopped for proper stoppages and if needs be 20 seconds can be added on for each sub. Once the 70 is up you hear a hooter and the next time the ball goes dead (unless for a free/pen) it's game over.

3) This is the controversial one. If you want teams to kick the ball in you have to reward it. At the moment it's too risky and more often than not you just lose possession. I like the idea of if you kick the ball from outside the 45 to inside the 21 then you can take a mark. That mightn't be popular but I think the mark was a huge success so far and didn't disrupt the game like I thought it would. The kick would have to be taken quickly by the guy who caught it or if he wanted he can just play on.

BennyCake

11 a side is the only answer.

Close the thread.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on August 14, 2018, 06:54:54 PM
11 a side is the only answer.

Close the thread.

It'd be gas looking at O'Callaghan, Kilkenny and 2 hops McManaman taking their 8 steps with oceans of space in that scenario.

markl121

Quote from: Jayop on August 14, 2018, 06:48:47 PM

3) This is the controversial one. If you want teams to kick the ball in you have to reward it. At the moment it's too risky and more often than not you just lose possession. I like the idea of if you kick the ball from outside the 45 to inside the 21 then you can take a mark. That mightn't be popular but I think the mark was a huge success so far and didn't disrupt the game like I thought it would. The kick would have to be taken quickly by the guy who caught it or if he wanted he can just play on.
I feel like this would make the game even more similar to  aussie rules, which I don't find enjoyable to watch at all. It would probably totally disrupt the flow of play and you would find teams constructing plays to find a free man down the field almost like an American football quarter back trying to find the free man. We could have a game which is an amalgamation of a 3-4 sports none of which are the fast paced game we know and love.
I do think that making kick outs go over the 45 May be an option and would also help bring back some of the high ball playing midfielders. Also maybe make the full forwards remain inside the opposition 21 or 45?

redzone

Quote from: Christmas Lights on August 14, 2018, 05:41:17 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 14, 2018, 02:08:03 PM
I don't think that too many people would disagree that the game has turned into too much of a possession based game with very limited contested possession outside of the attacking teams 45 metre line. Then you have the blight of the handpass, the backwards pass and the often pointless retention of possession. We need more contested duels in the game where there is an opportunity to turn possession over.

1) Restrict the handpass to 3/4 consecutive.
2) Ban the backwards pass inside your own half
3) All kick outs must be kicked past the 45 metre line (there was a token attempt to increase this 7 metres in the last year but nothing much has changed).

This will all lead to more duels for possession, more physical contests, more kick passing and more engagement for supporters.

There are other more technical/refereeing issues that need addressing such as a time clock and a review of the black card but fix the above and it would help the game dramatically.

everyone of those suggestions are pure shite tbf.  Would make the game a farce.  A hybird of basketball and netball FFS
In fairness .3 is worth trying

BennyCake

2 points for a point scored outside the '50 would be worth a try.

Jayop

Quote from: markl121 on August 14, 2018, 10:37:33 PM

I feel like this would make the game even more similar to  aussie rules, which I don't find enjoyable to watch at all. It would probably totally disrupt the flow of play and you would find teams constructing plays to find a free man down the field almost like an American football quarter back trying to find the free man. We could have a game which is an amalgamation of a 3-4 sports none of which are the fast paced game we know and love.
I do think that making kick outs go over the 45 May be an option and would also help bring back some of the high ball playing midfielders. Also maybe make the full forwards remain inside the opposition 21 or 45?

What's wrong with teams trying to work a free man inside the 21?? Surely that would be an honourable aspiration.

Throw ball

1) Remove the black card. It's a farce, and has only legitimized cynical play. Replace this with a 21 yard free and a 10 minute sin bin. I'd include cynical and dangerous play in this because the tackles around the neck are going to hurt someone badly if they're not stamped out.

2) Introduce a timing system ala rugby/ladies football where the clock is actually stopped for proper stoppages and if needs be 20 seconds can be added on for each sub. Once the 70 is up you hear a hooter and the next time the ball goes dead (unless for a free/pen) it's game over.

The problem I can see with the third option is that it may get defences deeper as they get in position to win the ball that will more often than not get broken. Maybe combine the mark you advocate with Bennycake's idea of 2 points for a point outside 45. Defences would have more things to cover and hopefully more space would be created.

Jayop

Quote from: Throw ball on August 14, 2018, 11:02:24 PM

The problem I can see with the third option is that it may get defences deeper as they get in position to win the ball that will more often than not get broken. Maybe combine the mark you advocate with Bennycake's idea of 2 points for a point outside 45. Defences would have more things to cover and hopefully more space would be created.

Could defenses be much deeper than a lot of them are already? Bring back the 6 foot 6 full forward I say and lump the f**king thing into him.

Stall the Bailer

I know the title of the thread is Gaelic Football RIP and a lot of posters are commenting about losing their love of the game.
Reading through a lot of the posts it is all about the inter county game and it is all from the spectators viewpoint.

There is no doubt attendances are dropping at inter county level due to many reasons. I know for me it is the cost of attending games, along with other commitments is the reason that I can't attend as many games as I would like.
I don't see less attending club games. Is everyone talking about county level, because if you are the thread title is misleading and confusing the issue.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on August 15, 2018, 09:11:10 AM
I know the title of the thread is Gaelic Football RIP and a lot of posters are commenting about losing their love of the game.
Reading through a lot of the posts it is all about the inter county game and it is all from the spectators viewpoint.

There is no doubt attendances are dropping at inter county level due to many reasons. I know for me it is the cost of attending games, along with other commitments is the reason that I can't attend as many games as I would like.
I don't see less attending club games. Is everyone talking about county level, because if you are the thread title is misleading and confusing the issue.

One sort of feeds the other. Intercounty football can inspire young lads/ladies to start playing the game. I know from Mayo's decent runs the last couple of years, I've seen Parents who were never interested in Football bring their kids to the local club.

Does coverage of the Champions League and Premiership make young lads want to play soccer for the local club?

APM

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 15, 2018, 09:19:12 AM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on August 15, 2018, 09:11:10 AM

One sort of feeds the other. Intercounty football can inspire young lads/ladies to start playing the game. I know from Mayo's decent runs the last couple of years, I've seen Parents who were never interested in Football bring their kids to the local club.

Does coverage of the Champions League and Premiership make young lads want to play soccer for the local club?

Exactly,
County Football is the shop window and instead of the best of fine fruit and veg, we have a through-other mess of bluemoulded crap on display. 

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0813/984824-the-awkward-irony-of-gaas-attendance-problem/

There is a very serious conversation starting to happen out there and Croke Park have to realise that there are two broad problems:

• Style of Football
  • Uncompetitive Games

If they try to solve one without solving the other, it won't help matters. 

My worry is that they try to solve uncompetitive games with a tiered championship.  Firstly, it won't stop the uncompetitive games, as Dublin are so far ahead of everyone else. It's like Cycling when Lance Armstrong or Miguel Indurain just rode every one off their wheel.  The counties in the lower tiers will lose interest and as you said above, they'll also lose hope.  Who wants to watch the first round of the Tommy Murphy Cup? We found that out a few years ago - no-one!

Secondly, if there are more competitive games and the style of football still resembles a soccer match, with no atmosphere, then we still have a problem. 

Stall the Bailer

There is no doubt there is a feel good factor within a county when the their county team is going well (Monaghan would be a good example currently). Especially during the early years of the success (I'm guessing there is not same buzz in Dublin as a few years ago) The same is true when your local club is going well. I'd say it would have even a larger impact locally at inspiring our youth.
There is a lot of people who just like to complain, I have met a few Tyrone supporters locally who's first reaction to the last two games was to give out, instead of enjoying our victories and being in the final. Saying Gaelic football is dead, makes little sense to me. It still a great game to play and watch.

High Fielder

Inter County football as a concept is flawed. People won't commit to a race they can't win. The All Ireland Championship is great for those who take turns to win it, but for everyone else it has lost its appeal. Larger counties have far too many advantages and it takes a golden crop every 20 or 30 years for anyone else to get a sniff. In some cases that never happens at all. If it's not competitive, there's a reason for that, but the GAA don't want to own what is blatantly obvious. It's far better to sit idly by and pray the first few months of the Championship fade to memory so we can get to the proper stuff, the Super 8's.