Gaelic Football RIP

Started by High Fielder, July 21, 2018, 06:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Who said it did? But let's be honest, there's no scope for proper hard tackling any more. Between lads looking for contact and fussy officials, it's gone a bit light. More than the fair share of play acting too. It's no harm for lads to cut stripes off each other. I always think the hurling is a little bit more forgiving in that regard

Jinxy

Maybe it's just years of conditioning, but when a game is televised on SKY (which I don't have), it feels less important to me in the overall scheme of things.
I watched both games live on RTE yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed them.
When I watched the Sunday Game in the evening, I was glued to the highlights for both of those games, but found that I was significantly less interested in the highlights of the games from Saturday.
That probably doesn't even make sense, but that's the way it is for me.
There is far less buzz about the SKY games.
Most people aren't watching them live, so you don't get the same level of discussion on here, or social media.
The two games yesterday were the best games of the weekend, but if they had been shown on SKY, they would not have generated anything like the same level of excitement among the wider GAA community.
If anyone can point out to me the tangible benefits of the SKY deal, I'm all ears, but at the moment it seems like a lose/lose scenario to me.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

JoG2

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 11:22:05 AM
Maybe it's just years of conditioning, but when a game is televised on SKY (which I don't have), it feels less important to me in the overall scheme of things.
When I watched the Sunday Game in the evening, I was glued to the highlights for both of those games, but found that I was significantly less interested in the highlights of the games from Saturday.
Most people aren't watching them live, so you don't get the same level of discussion on here, or social media.
The two games yesterday were the best games of the weekend, but if they had been shown on SKY, they would not have generated anything like the same level of excitement among the wider GAA community.
If anyone can point out to me the tangible benefits of the SKY deal, I'm all ears, but at the moment it seems like a lose/lose scenario to me.

At our club game yesterday, of all the people I'd spoke to, I was the only person who'd actually watched the Saturday games, and that was through IPTV.
It seems that those who are happy with the Sky deal are people who've historically paid a subscription to Sky for the premier league or whatever sport they need Sky for. For me it rubber stamps the disconnect between GAA HQ and the regular clubman, and the fact that those who produce the games have to pay a billionaire TV mogul to watch their games...absolutely maddening

From the latest CPA email re the survery:

* 96% of respondents to the survey overwhelmingly agreed that there is a disconnect between the GAA hierarchy and its playing members

blewuporstuffed

I take your point Jinxy, the lack of acesss to the games by the wider population is a downside of Sky,but for me the main benefit of the SKy coverage is that they actually put a bit of effort in.
The coverage and analysis is top class and way ahead of anything provided by RTE.
Sky are actually positive about the game in general, and analyse and talk about the specific game they are covering rather than half time/post match just being a  soap box for 3 oul fellas lamenting how great the game used to be.
While there are legitimate reasons to be negative about the current game, the constant negativity on RTE has hammered it into the psyche 'this is shite' before a ball is even kicked.
Ideally what i suppose we would like is Skys level of professionalism and promotion of the game , but accessible to all on a free to air channel.
The problem is RTE dont really give a shite, or at least haven't for years. Maybe the penny is starting to drop.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Jinxy

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 23, 2018, 11:41:25 AM
I take your point Jinxy, the lack of acesss to the games by the wider population is a downside of Sky,but for me the main benefit of the SKy coverage is that they actually put a bit of effort in.
The coverage and analysis is top class and way ahead of anything provided by RTE.
Sky are actually positive about the game in general, and analyse and talk about the specific game they are covering rather than half time/post match just being a  soap box for 3 oul fellas lamenting how great the game used to be.
While there are legitimate reasons to be negative about the current game, the constant negativity on RTE has hammered it into the psyche 'this is shite' before a ball is even kicked.
Ideally what i suppose we would like is Skys level of professionalism and promotion of the game , but accessible to all on a free to air channel.
The problem is RTE dont really give a shite, or at least haven't for years. Maybe the penny is starting to drop.

With the new head of sport in RTE, hopefully that will happen.
If it does, what would be the argument for retaining the SKY deal?
Not looking to pick a fight with anyone, it's just that I don't see the objective merits of it.
You're dramatically reducing the audience for games, so what's the upside other than using the deal as leverage to keep RTE honest?
For example, if the choice was retaining the SKY deal or reverting to the RTE/TV3 era package, what would we lose by going with the latter?
If the answer is MONEY, what is the SKY deal actually worth?
It wasn't sold initially as a financial decision, if I recall correctly.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 11:51:54 AM

Not looking to pick a fight with anyone, it's just that I don't see the objective merits of it.
You're dramatically reducing the audience for games, so what's the upside other than using the deal as leverage to keep RTE honest?
For example, if the choice was retaining the SKY deal or reverting to the RTE/TV3 era package, what would we lose by going with the latter?
Im not disagreeing here, money shouldnt really come in to it.
The main criteria should be 'which package is the best for the overall promotion of the game'
There is no doubt that making it accessible to as many people as possible certainly promotes the game better, but over the last 10-15 year RTEs constant bashing of the product they are supposed to be trying to promote has certainly had a detrimental effect on how football has been viewed by the wider public.
I am not dismissing some of the legitimate concerns about the current game of football, but I just believe if someone tells you something is shite every week for 10 years, most people start to believe it no matter if its the truth or not.
In my mind this is doing as much damage to the game as having games  on Sky where some cant see them.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Jinxy

RTE are phoning in their coverage for years, but it doesn't seem to have a negative effect on viewing numbers.
Basically, there is a large audience (with a lot of casual viewers) that will watch the game if it is on terrestrial TV, regardless of the quality of analysis.
From a promotion perspective, as the viewing numbers are so small I can't see how the SKY deal is a positive, even if the overall presentation is far superior.

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 12:14:34 PM
RTE are phoning in their coverage for years, but it doesn't seem to have a negative effect on viewing numbers.
Basically, there is a large audience (with a lot of casual viewers) that will watch the game if it is on terrestrial TV, regardless of the quality of analysis.
From a promotion perspective, as the viewing numbers are so small I can't see how the SKY deal is a positive, even if the overall presentation is far superior.

Its called the Fair City demographic. Its shite. Everyone knows its shite but there 1/2 a million watching every episode. 🙈

our_fella

Its a pity all the matches weren't on SKY.. Coverage and analysis is far far superior

Dire Ear

Quote from: our_fella on July 24, 2018, 10:19:39 AM
Its a pity all the matches weren't on SKY.. Coverage and analysis is far far superior
I'd agree ,  RTE need kicked out of their comfort zone.  TV3 were a step up

JoG2

Quote from: our_fella on July 24, 2018, 10:19:39 AM

your wish will come true

Esmarelda

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 23, 2018, 12:00:03 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 11:51:54 AM

Im not disagreeing here, money shouldnt really come in to it.
The main criteria should be 'which package is the best for the overall promotion of the game'
There is no doubt that making it accessible to as many people as possible certainly promotes the game better, but over the last 10-15 year RTEs constant bashing of the product they are supposed to be trying to promote has certainly had a detrimental effect on how football has been viewed by the wider public.
I am not dismissing some of the legitimate concerns about the current game of football, but I just believe if someone tells you something is shite every week for 10 years, most people start to believe it no matter if its the truth or not.
In my mind this is doing as much damage to the game as having games  on Sky where some cant see them.
I'd have thought the obvious reason is that it's an attempt to promote the game to a new audience in the UK while still maintaining the vast majority of games on terrestrial TV.

RedHand88

The Sky argument is getting boring now. They've 100% earned the right to carry a few games based on how superior their coverage is. Do we really want to listen to Brolly saying "Well it wouldn't be a yellow card in the hurling" any longer??

At the very least it will give RTE the kick up the hole it needs.

High Fielder

The Sky deal isn't killing Gaelic football. The county format is broken. Some counties are semi professional and most aren't. Consequently, those who have the resources will always be playing for the big prizes. Those who don't, won't. It's simple enough really. It's great if you're in one of those countries and it's pointless if you're not. The county format was fine and well when everyone was on a similar footing, but the gap now is too wide. It's not even sport at times. It's dismissive and snobby to ignore what is blatantly obvious.

APM

Don't always like everything he has to say, but Eamonn Sweeney is spot on here!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/brolly-and-spillanes-critics-sound-like-10yearolds-trying-to-persuade-you-one-direction-are-better-than-the-beatles-37141581.html

The gormless conformists in sensible ganseys with their incessant blather about innovation and motivation and sports psychology, who love the current game because it's as dull as they are, like to scoff at Joe Brolly and Pat Spillane's repeated assertions that modern day Gaelic football is terrible. They come out with that laughable line about the game 'evolving'. But most big football games these days really are terrible. Brolly and Spillane's critics just sound like 10-year-olds trying to persuade you One Direction are better than The Beatles because they're 'more modern'. Insisting that something is good when it's not doesn't make you a positive thinker. It makes you an eejit.

There are plenty of these eejits about here and many of them take the view they are taking because they support the teams that are currently doing well.  If their own team was out of the championship and their interest was limited to that of a neutral observer, perhaps they would develop a bit more perspective.