Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

i'd a chicken toasty and a glass of milk. off drink, i'm getting fit

Main Street

Costa Gavras's Missing was on ITV late last night. The last of the classics made in the political thriller genre.

leenie

watched the boy in the stripped pyjama's earlier..... excellent film very sad ending...
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Tony Baloney

Watched The International last night. It was a bit of a slog to be honest.

screenexile

Watched The Invention of Lying the other night and was pretty disappointed I must say. To date I've been a huge Gervais fan and have liked everything he's done but this was more of a preaching match than a comedy film. Given the premise there was much more comedy to be had but he decided to leave it in favour of exploring religious themes. I know he says its nothing to do with religion but it's pretty rife through the film and I didn't go to watch something that basically mocks religion in a not very funny way. The Life of Brian did both but that is an extremely hard act to follow and Gervais hasn't done it! 5/10

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on October 04, 2009, 11:21:32 PM
Watched The Invention of Lying the other night and was pretty disappointed I must say. To date I've been a huge Gervais fan and have liked everything he's done but this was more of a preaching match than a comedy film. Given the premise there was much more comedy to be had but he decided to leave it in favour of exploring religious themes. I know he says its nothing to do with religion but it's pretty rife through the film and I didn't go to watch something that basically mocks religion in a not very funny way. The Life of Brian did both but that is an extremely hard act to follow and Gervais hasn't done it! 5/10
You were expecting too much. His big screen output to date has been dire. I just don't think he is leading man material.

nrico2006

Quotewatched the boy in the stripped pyjama's earlier..... excellent film very sad ending

Poor enough film, seemed to end when you thought it was just getting started. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Invention of Lying..Gervais is Genius.

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: Minder on October 04, 2009, 12:02:13 AM
Full Metal Jacket now on Sky Channel 180, better than any oul shite in the cinema.
Be nice..Someone calls you a cocksucker, be nice.....
So What if someone calls my moma a whore?......Is she?

screenexile

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 05, 2009, 08:47:19 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 04, 2009, 11:21:32 PM
You were expecting too much. His big screen output to date has been dire. I just don't think he is leading man material.

I know he's not really a leading man but I thought Ghost Town was a funny and charming kind of film... The reason I expected so much from this one was that he wrote and directed it so I thought there would be the real laughs like Extras and the Office had but they just didn't materialise. He laid on the preaching too thick in my opinion where he should have laid on the comedy more and had the Religious theme a bit more subtly in the background.

Anyway him and Merchant are back together for his next film Cemetery Junction so hopefully it'll be back to the stuff we expect... Raging also that there is not a Belfast date on his Stand Up tour!!

playwiththewind1st

The Godfather's [i.e. part 1 / the original ] on in QFT at the end of October & has been re-mastered etc - go & watch the film that teaches everybody how it should be done. Made in 1972 & still the yardstick, imho.

mc_grens

The first one is currently on in the lighthouse in Dublin too, sure to be followed by the second.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: WhoAreYaWhoAreYa! on October 05, 2009, 02:23:43 PM
Full Metal Jacket now on Sky Channel 180, better than any oul shite in the cinema.

Roadhouse?
Hasta la victoria siempre

Capt Pat

Zombie Land is brilliant. 9.5 out of 10 imho. Just go and see it as soon as you can. Comedy horror at its best.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on October 06, 2009, 12:22:37 AM
Quote from: WhoAreYaWhoAreYa! on October 05, 2009, 02:23:43 PM

Roadhouse?

Yea that line is from Roadhouse with the late great Paddy Swayze starring...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010