Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Mitchell

Seen Angels and Demons this evening there. Probably one of the films I was looking forward to most and was disappointed with it. If you have read the book, the film doesnt come close to it. The film follows about half of the book. Thought they left alot of key things out of it.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on May 14, 2009, 07:57:37 PM
Seen Angels and Demons this evening there. Probably one of the films I was looking forward to most and was disappointed with it. If you have read the book, the film doesnt come close to it. The film follows about half of the book. Thought they left alot of key things out of it.
Just home from it myself, it's enjoyable but by no means a masterclass.  (the book was imo) It's better than the Da Vinci code. 
Not sure of what key things you feel they left out from the book? They left out a lot of stuff from the start of the book about antimatter but apart from that I really can't think of anything? (It's been a while since I read the book though).  These films are never going to be better or even as good as the books imo so we're always going to be dissapointed. 

I'd love to hear the opinion of someone who hasn't read the book.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 14, 2009, 09:51:02 PM
Just home from it myself, it's enjoyable but by no means a masterclass.  (the book was imo) It's better than the Da Vinci code. 
Not sure of what key things you feel they left out from the book? They left out a lot of stuff from the start of the book about antimatter but apart from that I really can't think of anything? (It's been a while since I read the book though).  These films are never going to be better or even as good as the books imo so we're always going to be dissapointed. 

I could post these things but dont want to ruin it for anyone else who wants to see it. Anyway just a few things that I can remember and I hope doesnt spoil would be : How the first diagram was discovered, How he actually got to Vatican City, no mention at all of Maximilian Kohler (who I though was key in the book considering the end in the book), the last bishop and scene at last altar of science, Vittoria kidnapping and what happened in 3rd altar of science, the 5th brand, Rocher having a bigger role than Olivetti, the scene in the pope's office at the end INVOLVED different people than the book, the Camerlengo at the end, Langdon not being in the helicopter, the discovery of the antimatter. That's all I can think off at the minute. Do you think these would have been better in the film?

Would also love to hear the opinion of someone who hasnt read the book. Angels and Demons is far better than the Da Vinci Code. It was before the Da Vinci code but I think in the film they mentioned that the da vinci code happened before this.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on May 15, 2009, 05:52:08 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 14, 2009, 09:51:02 PM
Not sure of what key things you feel they left out from the book? They left out a lot of stuff from the start of the book about antimatter but apart from that I really can't think of anything? (It's been a while since I read the book though).  These films are never going to be better or even as good as the books imo so we're always going to be disappointed. 

I could post these things but dont want to ruin it for anyone else who wants to see it. Anyway just a few things that I can remember and I hope doesnt spoil would be : How the first diagram was discovered, How he actually got to Vatican City, no mention at all of Maximilian Kohler (who I though was key in the book considering the end in the book), the last bishop and scene at last altar of science, Vittoria kidnapping and what happened in 3rd altar of science, the 5th brand, Rocher having a bigger role than Olivetti, the scene in the pope's office at the end INVOLVED different people than the book, the Camerlengo at the end, Langdon not being in the helicopter, the discovery of the antimatter. That's all I can think off at the minute. Do you think these would have been better in the film?

Would also love to hear the opinion of someone who hasnt read the book. Angels and Demons is far better than the Da Vinci Code. It was before the Da Vinci code but I think in the film they mentioned that the da vinci code happened before this.

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*
I was surprised that there wasn't more at the start about the antimatter and Kohler but to go in to that would have been possibly another hour on the film and would have meant that the first 20 minutes (at least) of the film would be going on about antimater, I'm not sure how many people's attentions that would hold so I can understand them deciding not to run with it.

I'm glad they left out Vittorias kidnapping, I don't think it would have added anything to the film.  I also think they were right to leave langdon out of the helicopter (too unrealistic) and in the book doesn't the camerlengo turn out to be the Pope's actual son, I'm glad they didn't run with that line in the film.

I was a bit disappointed at how the Camerlengo was confronted at the end of the film, the book was better in that regard but
I was also disappointed that the camerlengo pretend to get a vision from God to lead them to the bomb. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

I have read the book and I still have no idea what either of you are talking about! It must have made a big impression  :-\

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 15, 2009, 10:05:06 PM
I have read the book and I still have no idea what either of you are talking about! It must have made a big impression  :-\

Have you seen the film yet?

I don't read alot of books but Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code are great books. The films disappointed me big time. I read Angels and Demons again recently which is probably why I know all that stuff.

Tony Baloney

Haven't seen the film yet so when I do see it I'll judge it on whether it is a decent flick rather than a decent adaptation of a book. Thought the movie of Da Vinci was gash.

ONeill

Watching Tyson at the min on watch-movies - good show. The madman shows rare emtion.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on May 15, 2009, 10:56:07 PM
Watching Tyson at the min on watch-movies - good show. The madman shows rare emtion.

Is that the documentary type effort ? Been meaning to see it for a while.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

Flip, he was aching from gonorrhoea from riding some 'filthy young girl' before the fight whilst he fought for the World Title.

Minder

I remember he said the best punch he ever landed was on his ex-Robin Givens.

ONeill

Quote from: Minder on May 15, 2009, 10:59:33 PM

Go for the last one: http://www.watch-movies-links.net/movies/tyson/

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on May 15, 2009, 11:01:01 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 15, 2009, 10:59:33 PM

Go for the last one: http://www.watch-movies-links.net/movies/tyson/

Good job, cheers

blewuporstuffed

Watched Defiance last night, decent enough show, 7/10
finally got round to watching city of god the other day too, brilliant film, 9/10
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either