The US policing crisis thread

Started by Eamonnca1, April 28, 2015, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on November 24, 2015, 08:17:28 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 24, 2015, 07:05:30 PM
So you are arguing and even spitting at people for arguments that 'you wouldn't put it past them to make' but that nonetheless you don't know and don't care whether they made them or not?

I don't care much for springsteen. It's not like you and your lefty pals haven't defended these crims being heralded before.

I'm surprised you haven't been screaming about the big case in Chicago were the cop was indicted today on first degree murder and the video is about to hit the public.

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on November 24, 2015, 08:19:56 PM
So you are arguing and even spitting at people for arguments that 'you wouldn't put it past them to make' but that nonetheless you don't know and don't care whether they made them or not?

I don't care much for springsteen. It's not like you and your lefty pals haven't defended these crims being heralded before.

Really?

Prove it.

Show where I defended a murderer.

Where did I say murderer?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on November 24, 2015, 08:48:29 PM

Really?

Prove it.

You were the one posted the link with the murder in it.

Have you forgotten already?

MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Socal Muppet.

Overall thoughts is that the police here have an extremely tough job here, the availability of guns and wealth disparity are the source of the problem IMO.

Racial Profiling happens, the news does it, I do it all the time myself when driving. Also the police arent always the sharpest knifes in the drawer and there is a few bad eggs but most are alright considering their circumstances.

On a different slant I heard a story about the paradoxes the police face. In the 70 and 80s the LAPD was rife with localised corruption with gangs etc. So to combat this they logically enough started recruiting police without local ties. The result? Lack of understanding or empathy of the communities being policed, Police brutality skyrocketed, Community relations plummeted and as result policing became even more difficult.

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on November 24, 2015, 09:07:51 PM

Really?

Prove it.

And I referred to a concert broadcast on TV with springsteen and pals mourning the death of crims like Michael Brown. Try reading again.

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 24, 2015, 09:13:31 PM
Socal Muppet.

Overall thoughts is that the police here have an extremely tough job here, the availability of guns and wealth disparity are the source of the problem IMO.

Racial Profiling happens, the news does it, I do it all the time myself when driving. Also the police arent always the sharpest knifes in the drawer and there is a few bad eggs but most are alright considering their circumstances.

On a different slant I heard a story about the paradoxes the police face. In the 70 and 80s the LAPD was rife with localised corruption with gangs etc. So to combat this they logically enough started recruiting police without local ties. The result? Lack of understanding or empathy of the communities being policed, Police brutality skyrocketed, Community relations plummeted and as result policing became even more difficult.

I have no problem with any of this.

The bad eggs need to be dealt with though. Not have excuses made for them and then blind encouragement to continue as if there is nothing wrong with what they are doing.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on November 24, 2015, 09:22:29 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 24, 2015, 09:07:51 PM

Really?

Prove it.

And I referred to a concert broadcast on TV with springsteen and pals mourning the death of crims like Michael Brown. Try reading again.

You need to read your own posts.

You referenced me specifically in that that post. I was talking about the link you posted with the murder. You invented a political allegiance for me ('Lefty') and you invented pals for me. You are now pretending that you were talking about them only. And you are outraged by your inventions.

But this false reality you created doesn't change the fact that I was talking about the very real link you posted, and the very real murder contained therein.

It proves my point about you attacking arguments that weren't made and you aren't remotely bothered whether they were or weren't. You will just invent stuff and be outraged by it. FOX NEWS style.

MWWSI 2017

gallsman

I once stole a 10p mix up as a kid. I guess if I ever get shot dead by cops, there wouldn't be any point to an inquest because of my criminal past.

whitey

Quote from: gallsman on November 24, 2015, 09:38:59 PM
I once stole a 10p mix up as a kid. I guess if I ever get shot dead by cops, there wouldn't be any point to an inquest because of my criminal past.

Maybe if in the process of stealing the 10p, you pointed a gun at a police officer, or tried to run him over win a car, or shot him in the face then I'm sure there would be an inquest

gallsman

J70

https://youtu.be/Ix2N6_jLAgA

The video from Chicago. That policeman is in trouble going by that. The kid didn't go near him.

Linkbox

Quote from: J70 on November 24, 2015, 08:23:07 PM

I'm surprised you haven't been screaming about the big case in Chicago were the cop was indicted today on first degree murder and the video is about to hit the public.

It's pretty bad J70.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/24/laquan-mcdonald-police-killing-chicago-video-released

Police statement at the time...

On the night of October 20, a squad car responded to a call that someone was trying to break into cars in an industrial area on the southwest side. The officers found a boy with a knife in the street. He ignored their orders to drop the knife. A police spokesman described the boy in terms that suggest he was emotionally disturbed. ("He's got a 100-yard stare. He's staring blankly.") The responding officers didn't have a Taser. Waiting for one to arrive, they followed the boy in their squad car, as he walked a block to 41st and Pulaski.

A second squad car arrived. The boy again refused to drop the knife. The police tried to use the two vehicles to box him in against a construction fence on Pulaski. He punctured a tire and damaged the front windshield of one of the police cars. Officers got out of their vehicles. The boy approached them with the knife in his hand. One of the officers shot him in the chest. He was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital.

What the video shows...

The video, which last six minutes and 54 seconds, captures the final moments of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald's life on 20 October 2014 as he is confronted by two armed police officers in the middle of a Chicago street. The teenager is seen striding down the center of a two-way street and appears to be carrying a knife when the dashboard camera of a police patrol vehicle captures the moment that two officers point handguns at him.

He turns briefly toward one of the officers and is then shot, the impact of the first bullet apparently spinning him around before he collapses on the street. A puff of smoke or dust can be seen rising from his body apparently as a bullet hits the ground. The camera continues to focus on his prone body as the officers, now out of frame, shoot him multiple times. An autopsy report from the Cook County medical examiner's office showed that McDonald was shot 16 times.

Documents filed in court describing the video's contents say for 14 to 15 seconds, the officer – Jason Van Dyke– unloads his entire gun into the teen, who is laying face down on the ground with his arms and legs jerking from the impact of the shots. Of the eight or more officers on the scene, Van Dyke is the only one to have discharged his weapon, although a colleague can be seen with his gun drawn and pointed at McDonald.

The video ends shortly after a final puff of smoke rises from the ground and one of the officers moves forward and appears to kick an object from McDonald's right hand.

J70

Quote from: Linkbox on November 25, 2015, 02:16:40 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 24, 2015, 08:23:07 PM

It's pretty bad J70.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/24/laquan-mcdonald-police-killing-chicago-video-released

Police statement at the time...

On the night of October 20, a squad car responded to a call that someone was trying to break into cars in an industrial area on the southwest side. The officers found a boy with a knife in the street. He ignored their orders to drop the knife. A police spokesman described the boy in terms that suggest he was emotionally disturbed. ("He's got a 100-yard stare. He's staring blankly.") The responding officers didn't have a Taser. Waiting for one to arrive, they followed the boy in their squad car, as he walked a block to 41st and Pulaski.

A second squad car arrived. The boy again refused to drop the knife. The police tried to use the two vehicles to box him in against a construction fence on Pulaski. He punctured a tire and damaged the front windshield of one of the police cars. Officers got out of their vehicles. The boy approached them with the knife in his hand. One of the officers shot him in the chest. He was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital.

What the video shows...

The video, which last six minutes and 54 seconds, captures the final moments of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald's life on 20 October 2014 as he is confronted by two armed police officers in the middle of a Chicago street. The teenager is seen striding down the center of a two-way street and appears to be carrying a knife when the dashboard camera of a police patrol vehicle captures the moment that two officers point handguns at him.

He turns briefly toward one of the officers and is then shot, the impact of the first bullet apparently spinning him around before he collapses on the street. A puff of smoke or dust can be seen rising from his body apparently as a bullet hits the ground. The camera continues to focus on his prone body as the officers, now out of frame, shoot him multiple times. An autopsy report from the Cook County medical examiner's office showed that McDonald was shot 16 times.

Documents filed in court describing the video's contents say for 14 to 15 seconds, the officer – Jason Van Dyke– unloads his entire gun into the teen, who is laying face down on the ground with his arms and legs jerking from the impact of the shots. Of the eight or more officers on the scene, Van Dyke is the only one to have discharged his weapon, although a colleague can be seen with his gun drawn and pointed at McDonald.

The video ends shortly after a final puff of smoke rises from the ground and one of the officers moves forward and appears to kick an object from McDonald's right hand.

And people have the nerve to wonder why black people do not trust the cops. What if there had been no video?

foxcommander

I do have to wonder why would anyone walk down the street brandishing a knife if they didn't want to appear as a danger to the public.

Eamonnca1

Maybe they're mentally ill. But it's a bit hard to fix that after they've been summerily executed.