NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 24, 2019, 07:37:40 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on March 24, 2019, 03:53:03 PM
All goals avoidable and all the fault of Lavelle and Sean Andy. Ridiculous carry on, he's not good enough on the ball to be leaving his line the way way he does, he did the same thing against Mayo and nearly cost us that game too. The first half was fantastic, driving forward, kicking the ball and moving at speed, second half revert to type and get our arses handed to us. Clueless.
Livid after that second half to be honest, fair play to Tyrone who absolutely upped it but I've rarely seen a team f**k away a winnable match as Galway did today. I didn't expect to get the win going up but the performance was the main thing and given the context of how the match went, that was simply disastrous for Galway, I'm trying not to overreact but we're left with nothing but doubts over a number of key areas now going into the championship. A game of two halves but the wind should not have been a factor really, it was not like Castlebar earlier this year.

Sean Andy got the mother and father of all roastings from McShane, absolutely cleaned out from minute one. How he stayed on the pitch is beyond comprehension, any change would have been better than leaving it as it was. Lavelle has to take some big blame today as well - I mean Harte could have scored from 50 yards out into an empty goal - but that was as bad as it gets from O'Ceallaigh.

It might be "only the league" but I thought we were past mental collapses like that, a league final berth was there for the taking. Absolutely ridiculous stuff from Galway and it takes the gloss off what was a fairly successful league up until we came out for the second half today.
What state is their mindset after that, the only saving grace is that it wasn't in the championship and that it's better for that damage to be seen before the summer.
Whatever positives were there from the first half (some great play from the Dalys and Walsh) are irrelevant in light of what happened after the change around, June is a long way away but there is massive work to be done, I don't care how many players are going to come back in if a team can commit seppuku so easily what happens the next time we're in a really tough spot?
One other thing that I can't fathom about this team - if you take Kerin & Sean Andy in particular.
It is very obvious that they are not comfortable in possession of the ball driving out from the back.
With every solo they take they look more and more likely to cede possession back to the opposition.
We've been caught for turnover scores as a result on numerous occasions in this league campaign yet they continue to do it.
There needs to be a realisation that this weakness exists and have them hand possession off to the next man rather than run into trouble.
Club teams have corner backs that aren't good on the ball but are smart enough to know it andpop it off before they get into bother.
Anyway June is a long way off yet.
For once we have a favorable c'ship draw so it's not all doom and gloom I guess.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 24, 2019, 07:53:22 PM
All goals avoidable and all the fault of Lavelle and Sean Andy. Ridiculous carry on, he's not good enough on the ball to be leaving his line the way way he does, he did the same thing against Mayo and nearly cost us that game too. The first half was fantastic, driving forward, kicking the ball and moving at speed, second half revert to type and get our arses handed to us. Clueless.
Livid after that second half to be honest, fair play to Tyrone who absolutely upped it but I've rarely seen a team f**k away a winnable match as Galway did today. I didn't expect to get the win going up but the performance was the main thing and given the context of how the match went, that was simply disastrous for Galway, I'm trying not to overreact but we're left with nothing but doubts over a number of key areas now going into the championship. A game of two halves but the wind should not have been a factor really, it was not like Castlebar earlier this year.

Sean Andy got the mother and father of all roastings from McShane, absolutely cleaned out from minute one. How he stayed on the pitch is beyond comprehension, any change would have been better than leaving it as it was. Lavelle has to take some big blame today as well - I mean Harte could have scored from 50 yards out into an empty goal - but that was as bad as it gets from O'Ceallaigh.

It might be "only the league" but I thought we were past mental collapses like that, a league final berth was there for the taking. Absolutely ridiculous stuff from Galway and it takes the gloss off what was a fairly successful league up until we came out for the second half today.
What state is their mindset after that, the only saving grace is that it wasn't in the championship and that it's better for that damage to be seen before the summer.
Whatever positives were there from the first half (some great play from the Dalys and Walsh) are irrelevant in light of what happened after the change around, June is a long way away but there is massive work to be done, I don't care how many players are going to come back in if a team can commit seppuku so easily what happens the next time we're in a really tough spot?

I'm going with Sean Andy was on the batter last night because he seemed to have no idea where McShane was at any given time and McShane is a big lad. He's not exactly easy to miss. Honestly as bad a full-back display as I've ever seen. It was almost bizarre. That said it's still his spot because the only other options are Duane and Cunnane. He needs a bit of a talking to after that though. Himself and Lavelle are not there to solo the ball up the field. Leave that to the footballers.
It's possible that it's the worst roasting I've ever seen at this level, mainly because there's no way someone who is playing so bad would normally see out the full match. KW should have made some change, I don't care if the options are limited, it couldn't have been any worse. He should be hooked for the London match as he's not playing well in general, there's no way Declan Kyne wouldn't be an improvement there at the minute.

Raginbull

Quote from: galwayman on March 24, 2019, 08:08:52 PM

I'm going with Sean Andy was on the batter last night because he seemed to have no idea where McShane was at any given time and McShane is a big lad. He's not exactly easy to miss. Honestly as bad a full-back display as I've ever seen. It was almost bizarre. That said it's still his spot because the only other options are Duane and Cunnane. He needs a bit of a talking to after that though. Himself and Lavelle are not there to solo the ball up the field. Leave that to the footballers.
We're not overflowing with options alright for number 3.
Maybe Liam Silke could do a job there I dunno.
Declan Kyne will also come into the reckoning - it's hard to know to be honest what will happen now.
It's not as if this is some one-off performance either he has been poor in several league games this year.
Thank God it's only March is all that I can say

He's carrying too much bulk to be as athletic as he needs to be and certainly not mobile enough to be getting up and down the pitch. He's a full back and should man the square going out 30 to 40m at most with ball in hand. Lavelle should never leave the goal. He can't solo for shit.

The lads that should be bombing forward look like they're out for a Sunday stroll. G'OD and Bradshaw offer no pace going forward.

The worst thing is, KW will look at this and say we conceded 3 goals because we weren't defensive enough.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on March 24, 2019, 08:21:51 PM
For once we have a favorable c'ship draw so it's not all doom and gloom I guess.
Can you imagine planning for facing into a first round Connacht match against Mayo after that? Mother of Jaysus.

Raginbull

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 24, 2019, 08:27:28 PM
Quote from: galwayman on March 24, 2019, 08:21:51 PM
Can you imagine planning for facing into a first round Connacht match against Mayo after that? Mother of Jaysus.

Don't worry we'd go full blanket against mayo and come out on top then get the shit kickec out of us by Roscommon

macdanger2

Good win today and nice to be in a league final, would be great to win it. McLoughlin, Boland, Harrison and Doc all very good I thought. Ruane good again also before he went off, Gibbons didn't do well when he came on. Some very good movement in the forwards at times although we didn't always get scores from it

Any word on Clarke's injury?

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 24, 2019, 08:22:37 PM

It's possible that it's the worst roasting I've ever seen at this level, mainly because there's no way someone who is playing so bad would normally see out the full match. KW should have made some change, I don't care if the options are limited, it couldn't have been any worse. He should be hooked for the London match as he's not playing well in general, there's no way Declan Kyne wouldn't be an improvement there at the minute.
Don't think Kyne was on the bench today?
I remember commenting to one of the lads before one of the first games (I think it might have been the Ros Fbd game) that Sean Andy actually looked very out of shape and heavy.
It will be interesting to see what defensive changes happen between now and c'ship.
Honestly Liam Silke is the only player guaranteed to come in.
That full back line is very worrying though.

MayoBuck

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 24, 2019, 08:34:30 PM
Good win today and nice to be in a league final, would be great to win it. McLoughlin, Boland, Harrison and Doc all very good I thought. Ruane good again also before he went off, Gibbons didn't do well when he came on. Some very good movement in the forwards at times although we didn't always get scores from it

I thought Darren Coen did very well at full forward winning ball and linking the play. Great composure from McLoughlin for the 2 goals.

Conceded a big score which would be a worry heading into a game against Kerry. Clarke was out on the pitch after the game and looked okay. Think it might have been a knock to the head that forced him off.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 24, 2019, 08:16:10 PM
Mayo v Kerry final as expected before today games and Cavan,Roscommon relegated as expected before any league game was played this year but Monaghan are lucky to stay up and can thank Cavan for bringing the rossies down to Div 2 with them.

A few strange scorelines today, Mayo conceding 1-17 today by far the biggest score they have conceded in this league which i think still shows the importance of Keegan,Higgins,Boyle to the side.

Biggest score Galway have conceded in a league group game for ages and that score conceded and margin of defeat might open the door for a few Corofin defenders now.

No surprise with the big score Kerry got as they will always score big against sides that defend poorly against them and had Clifford back today to boost their scoring power.

Keegan, Higgins and Boyle played against Dublin when we were wide open at the back. I think a big difference today was the fine weather. Our games against Roscommon, Galway and Kerry were played in horrendous conditions. That will always lead to a low scoring game.

moysider

Quote from: MayoBuck on March 24, 2019, 08:53:30 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on March 24, 2019, 08:34:30 PM

I thought Darren Coen did very well at full forward winning ball and linking the play. Great composure from McLoughlin for the 2 goals.

Conceded a big score which would be a worry heading into a game against Kerry. Clarke was out on the pitch after the game and looked okay. Think it might have been a knock to the head that forced him off.

A concussion I suspect. Surprised that was not shown on highlights on TV. It was brilliant piece of goalkeeping and thought he took a late cheap shot to the head.
If it wasn't an accident it should have been red imo. Yet the ref. gave a yellow. It should have been no card or red card.

Yeah, we conceded a big score. Hard to fathom. A few things. It was never going to be a must win. We got into good leads and then seemed to coast a bit. To be fair though Monaghan did kick some very good scores as well.

omagh_gael

Talk about a game of two halves in Omagh. That was some turnaround. First time I've seen Shane Walsh live in action, he's a real Rolls Royce of a player. Glides along the field and is so fast moving with the ball. Hard wee nut too as he put Hampsey on his hole at one point and he's no soft touch.

seafoid

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 24, 2019, 04:25:01 PM
So it's a Mayo v Kerry final.
I presume the game will be in Croker and probably next Sunday. Am I correct?
A Mayo win would be great start for the second coming
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

Watched the full match last night and watched the highlights too, how can O'Se & McStay not mention that all 3 goals came off Sean Andy mistakes although it was never a pen but still doesn't gloss over the fact Sean Andy lost McShane. He's going to get targeted this summer but I'm sure Kevin Walsh will work on it in training extensively. I know he had more cover in the 1st half but you can put that down to the wind as Tyrone couldn't get the ball in quick enough and allowed Galway to get a man back.

Galway had put themselves in a great position at half time but instead of dictating the 2nd half they left themselves chasing the game 10 minutes into the half and with Tyrone playing with the strong wind which meant it extremely difficult for Galway to kick scores especially with the way Tyrone had set up. Unlike in the bad years it wasn't a complete meltdown by the team, its 3 bad mistakes involving 2 individuals but its 90% Sean Andy's fault. Kerin has to cut out the daft black cards, come at at time when Galway were well in the match and affected Galways ability to regroup. Duggan a loss at midfield, D'Arcy will stay 5th choice midfielder after that performance; I've criticised Duggan during the league but it was clear to see he was missed the 2nd half. Injuries and the missing Corofin contingent came back to haunt us yesterday, not enough on the bench to be able to change it. Lost far too many of our own kickouts too in the 2nd half. I know I'm always on his case but Gary O'Donnell offered very little going forward yesterday. A couple of weeks ago I thought Bradshaw was still a cert to start at centre half back come the championship but he's really given John Daly a lot of game time in that role so I'm not so sure any more.

Overall its been a really good league despite the disappointment of yesterday, I genuinely would have been happy with staying up and Galway have done a lot better than all the posters on here expected and found a couple of players. John Daly looks at home at this level and O'Laoi despite being a little light will be another option in the coming years and also good to see Danny Cummins back in great shape too.

Hound

I mean Harte could have scored from 50 yards out into an empty goal

Sounds interesting!

Can anyone describe the passage of play that led to this, and what kind of attempt did Harte make?

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 25, 2019, 09:50:23 AM
Watched the full match last night and watched the highlights too, how can O'Se & McStay not mention that all 3 goals came off Sean Andy mistakes although it was never a pen but still doesn't gloss over the fact Sean Andy lost McShane. He's going to get targeted this summer but I'm sure Kevin Walsh will work on it in training extensively. I know he had more cover in the 1st half but you can put that down to the wind as Tyrone couldn't get the ball in quick enough and allowed Galway to get a man back.

Galway had put themselves in a great position at half time but instead of dictating the 2nd half they left themselves chasing the game 10 minutes into the half and with Tyrone playing with the strong wind which meant it extremely difficult for Galway to kick scores especially with the way Tyrone had set up. Unlike in the bad years it wasn't a complete meltdown by the team, its 3 bad mistakes involving 2 individuals but its 90% Sean Andy's fault. Kerin has to cut out the daft black cards, come at at time when Galway were well in the match and affected Galways ability to regroup. Duggan a loss at midfield, D'Arcy will stay 5th choice midfielder after that performance; I've criticised Duggan during the league but it was clear to see he was missed the 2nd half. Injuries and the missing Corofin contingent came back to haunt us yesterday, not enough on the bench to be able to change it. Lost far too many of our own kickouts too in the 2nd half. I know I'm always on his case but Gary O'Donnell offered very little going forward yesterday. A couple of weeks ago I thought Bradshaw was still a cert to start at centre half back come the championship but he's really given John Daly a lot of game time in that role so I'm not so sure any more.

Overall its been a really good league despite the disappointment of yesterday, I genuinely would have been happy with staying up and Galway have done a lot better than all the posters on here expected and found a couple of players. John Daly looks at home at this level and O'Laoi despite being a little light will be another option in the coming years and also good to see Danny Cummins back in great shape too.

It was a stonewall pen. Kerin barged into the back of McShane without playing the ball just as he was getting away