Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Targetman

Just seen Ross Mc Garry's miss again on TG4, wasn't a great pass from McAleenan but it should've been a goal, I think the Point will see yesterday as one that got away but fair dues to Kilcoo, but they'll have to step it up if they want to do anything in Ulster

Cuan12

Yewtree gone missing, just for the record ,  east down teams won division one, two and four, they also won senior and junior championships , not bad for inferior players and supposed low standard of footballers compared to south down.
As I said before stick to your ground ball football , sure there's always next year lol

downjim

Is there any south Down teams in div 4 ffs Burren juniors would walk that league

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: downjim on October 15, 2019, 09:12:16 AM
Is there any south Down teams in div 4 ffs Burren juniors would walk that league

Mitchels are bottom of it I think.

Agreed - the junior teams from a few of the big clubs would walk it (and probably Div3 as well).
i usse an speelchekor

outinfront

Yeah but let's be fair you either play for your local team, accepting its limitations (player numbers etc) and try to move forward, or you transfer about like in local soccer.   So what's it going to be?  A smaller club winning junior Championship or winning a league should be admired every bit as much as a large club competing at the top table. Not mocked. 

TheClutch

Quote from: outinfront on October 15, 2019, 09:58:37 AM
Yeah but let's be fair you either play for your local team, accepting its limitations (player numbers etc) and try to move forward, or you transfer about like in local soccer.   So what's it going to be?  A smaller club winning junior Championship or winning a league should be admired every bit as much as a large club competing at the top table. Not mocked.

+1

I'd imagine that the 'feeling' of winning any grade of club county championship at adult level is the same.
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

snoopdog

Quote from: downjim on October 15, 2019, 09:12:16 AM
How do you block these idiots ??

downjim

Wil the l county board let reserve teams into the all county league this season?? I believe it would improve leagues, there are about 3-4 clubs who have resources to have two squads
On a separate note Donagh Mc should get call upto county squad

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: outinfront on October 15, 2019, 09:58:37 AM

Absolutely.

If we rewind the clock just about 25 years, Kilcoo were in Division 3.

What may be a small club now could be dominating the scene 30 years down the line - a nucleus to build around and a helluva lot of hard work from committed folks and who knows where you'll end up.

I've played in both systems in different counties - ours where the reserves are separate and others where you have reserves from one club fielding against seniors from another - and I don't think that works. Far too easy for the big club to ring the game by dropping fellas down from the senior panel.

So while I said earlier that any reserve team from a big club would walk Div4 - that does not mean we should dismiss the efforts of those in Div4 or should we push the reserves from big clubs into combined leagues. It was just an observation (which in hindsight I probably should have kept to myself).
i usse an speelchekor

Brick Tamlin

Wee bit of cash helps too..facilities development etc

johnnycool

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 15, 2019, 02:41:28 PM
Wee bit of cash helps too..facilities development etc

I played my first ever adult game of hurling in Kilcoo and that was the mid eighties. Their changing rooms were a container back then.

Some progress from then to where they are now.

upandwin

Good win for Kilcoo again. Becoming a common theme where they just seem to grind out results. I actually thought both teams were very evenly matched. Both teams created two big goal chances each and Kilcoo were able to take one of them and that little bit of composure was all that separated the teams. If McGarry had scored the fisted chance then the story would've been very different IMO. That being said, no matter which team lost, the other would've gone home ruing massive chances missed.

Thought CPN were forced in to a tentative game plan, all credit to Kilcoo as that's what they are best at. Open game of football would never have suited them and their game plan was carried out to perfection. To a man, they all did their job and hats off to them as county champions again. Warrenpoint proved a lot of people wrong and they weren't there to make up numbers, it's been good to see a fresh team play some attractive football, albeit that wasn't in the final. Kilcoo worthy winners!!

In terms of county additions, McCourt and McMahon look the best two keepers behind Rory Burns currently. I'd also have Patrick Murdock, Cormac McCartan and John Boyle (best player I've seen this year by a long stretch) from Warrenpoint. Daryl and Aaron Brannigan, alongside Dylan Ward maybe the best of the Kilcoo players on Sunday. Paddy Tally won't be overly excited from what he's seen this year I wouldn't think :/

lfdown2

What constitutes a 'successful' club?

Serious question.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 15, 2019, 03:03:26 PM
What constitutes a 'successful' club?

Serious question.

I used to think it was all about winning competitions.

Now as I age, I think its more about getting kids out of the house, off games-consoles and giving them some kind of healthier lifestyle*, as well as keeping young adults off the drink for a bit.

*as well as instilling teamwork and attitude. One of the best things I ever learned from football; "no pain, no gain".
i usse an speelchekor

downjim

I'm off today and bored so looking through league tables. 66 games in reserves leagues were conceded this year. That's crazy and participation in football needs to be addressed