Laois Senior Football 2017

Started by Tony, October 14, 2016, 11:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: Tony on January 14, 2017, 03:24:17 PM
Quote from Don Draper: "It wouldn't happen to any club, but it sure as shit won't happen to this club.

It's only a f**king O Byrne Cup game, you'd think lads were. ."

Don must be channeling Samuel l. Jackson in pulp fiction  8). Is there any need for that language really when trying to get a basic point across. Young laois kids might be tuning into the forum for updates etc, it'd be a pity to disencourage them. I know you must be as cold as ice don but tone it down a bit.

Looking like decent weather for the match later. Get there early!
They'll hear worse at any football match they go to. And a few curses is on a GAA forum is the least of a parents concerns when they consider what their children could be exposed to on the internet.

redsetanta

Decent comeback from Laois coming up to half time after being 8 points down early on. Reilly tormenting us as usual.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

Seems like a cracking affair. Laous gone a point up now just 4 minutes into second half.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

Tough on Laois but cracking comeback. Probably should have tagged on a couple more to make it safe as they had the chances (same ol same ol). Anyhow undefeated in 2017 so far and roll on the league.

High Fielder

Don was right and I was wrong. Stradbally coped well and it was a great occasion and a good match. Loved watching the fightback and it's good to see lads playing for each other and enjoying it. Donie Kingston. That is all.

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on January 14, 2017, 10:06:16 PM
Don was right and I was wrong. Stradbally coped well and it was a great occasion and a good match. Loved watching the fightback and it's good to see lads playing for each other and enjoying it. Donie Kingston. That is all.
No harm no foul. Much like Croke Park, its always good to bring games back to grass roots whenever you can. We'll see less and less of this when the Training Grounds are fully operational. We should cherish these occasions when we can. Fair play to Stradbally. Am I right in thinking we'd have met Louth had we gone through? I think tonight was the ideal result. Roll on the League.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

This is a quote from the Meath Hogan Stand page and it sums it up nicely, we were the better team for all the game bar the first 20 mins. No-one, and I mean NO ONE around me including Meath supporters know how the (Offaly)ref gave that penalty. The ball was in play on the half way line and he runs in and gives a peno...??
Personally I'm very happy with what I saw tonight and given some of the tackles that went in from our lads we really seem to have bought in to this management team. It was an all round committed team performance.

This is the quote:
QuoteWe were jammy. Freakish enough penalty decision I think I ever saw. Not complaining though. Laois took 25 mins to get going. Much bigger and more physical than us. They moved the ball well and took their scores well after a slow start. They outmustled meath. We were trying to run through them in the second half and ended up running into a brick wall. Trying to get to close to their goals to get scores instead of picking off longer range scores.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts:1211 - 14/01/2017 22:26:24   
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Unlaoised

Apart from the first 21 minutes Laois were superb

It early doors but i like what im seeing thus far ...
LAOIS ABÚ

Tony

Fantastic match - you'd probably not get that high scoring in June or July. Both teams to be commended but I thought we deserved the win. A draw is fair enough, doesn't make much difference. Begley and kingston were my picks. Very committed by all and conditioning / fitness looks good, especially for this time of the year. What a difference a good set-up makes. This time last year the lads were still way off the pace and didn't catch up till april or may. We're ahead of the pace now it seems. Cardio, conditioning, aggression and match sharpness is so important for challenging the top 10 teams, looks like this setup knows a thing or 10 more than last years. Finally, well done to Stradbally for holding and organising a great occasion.

High Fielder

I'd agree with that Tony. This game can look very simple when you up your work rate and support the man in possession. They exposed our obvious defensive frailties in the first half where too many times lads were left exposed to runners. When there was nowhere to go in the second half, they started going from side to side and allowed us to push up. That all happened because lads were tracking back and working hard. When we did get hold of the ball, we looked a bit classier and certainly more patient, which is not something I've seen in a long time. Now they were shocking naïve to give Donie that much space, but that's their problem. It just goes to show what Donie can do with the right service. We forced their hand late on when they made changes and put in the sweeper, but that only served to make things easier further out the pitch. We were calling the shots at that stage, which was amazing when you consider what was going on in the first half. There is no doubt that signs of improvement are there. The attitude from the players just seems a lot more focused. The work rate too. We have problems at the back and we could do with finding natural fits in one or two positions, but it might just mean we have to work harder for each other for the time being. That's no bad thing if last night is anything to go by.

Don Draper

As I suspected, Meath have gotten Louth. I'm delighted we've avoided that in advance of the league opener.

Tony

Wouldn't have made much difference in my opinion, Don. One could argue that 1/2 more games before the league would increase our match sharpness, rather than training. 99% of GAA players prefer matches to training, also (me included). The only downside I can see is that Louth would have a bit of homework done on us, but that works both ways.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on January 15, 2017, 04:11:16 PM
Quote from: Tony on January 15, 2017, 04:04:01 PM
Wouldn't have made much difference in my opinion, Don. One could argue that 1/2 more games before the league would increase our match sharpness, rather than training. 99% of GAA players prefer matches to training, also (me included). The only downside I can see is that Louth would have a bit of homework done on us, but that works both ways.
You're entitled to that opinion. We've had good games, and we'll get practice ones if needs be. We dont need to be f**king about playing Louth twice in a few weeks. Time to put in a few decent training sessions now, let the U21's play as a unit, and let the management go about their business now in peace. The Byrne Cup has served its purpose for 2017. Its all about getting out of that f**king division now.

Will somebody please think of the children!!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Don, you make some valid points here but you really don't have to swear to make them. Foul language does nothing to reinforce your point and just makes the poster seem very juvenile.

We don't want to turn this forum into another Hogan Stand type one where every second post was full of ridiculous accusations and swear words. That was one of the reasons we all went to Laoistalk where we could talk seriously about the game we love without having to see all that stuff.

When Laoistalk shut down I redirected everyone to this forum in the hope that we could keep it going as most of the posters on Laoistalk were true Laois gaels and had something genuine to say without turning to petty insults and foul language. It has been going really well since and I agree with Tony regarding the language. There's no-one asking guys to be saints but just to keep it civilised and sensible and remember there are parents reading these comments who might like their kids to get involved in discussions about the game they love.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tony

Yeah agreed. Don is one of the best posters on here in my opinion. That stuff is just unnecessary and the point is still the point with or without. Leaving it out will not reduce the quality of the post.

Personal attacks on players / mngmt is another that we should self moderate. Everything else seems like fair game. Just trying to promote a fun and functional chat for all, including our kids if they want to have a look or post. Cheers