Laois Senior Football 2017

Started by Tony, October 14, 2016, 11:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

Quote from: The Monument Road on November 22, 2016, 09:47:23 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on November 22, 2016, 05:46:55 PM
No it wasn't one of the Baldwins. Must have been Maher so. Fairly big lad with black hair. Carried well if a little suspect with distribution. Aggressive enough and tackled well. He improved a lot from the last time I saw him. Others stood out more but I liked what he was doing and looks capable of developing further
Cian Maher....yea i am of the same belief....A fine strapping lad who runs straight at players with power. I think he is stiil eligable for u21 next year also. He has pedigree as he is closely related to Karl Lacey and also of the same family blood line as Beano. Kingstons, Donie Brennan, his team mate James Doyle and Damien Murphy of Stradbally. His uncles played with St Josephs, Joe, Fergal and Aidan Lacey. So he certainly has pedigree.

Holy Moley if that lad doesn't become a Laois county player what hope is there for anyone else ha ha...

anyone here anymore about these Players meet us or whats going on....I've been told its all very positive and the players really like Creedon already!!
LAOIS ABÚ

Unlaoised

I know the O'Byrne cup is first and the first game is DIT at home on the 8th of Jan followed by Wicklow away on the 11th(wednesday) and then Meath at home the following Sunday the 25th and it will surely be a case of looking at players in these games...The League starts just three weeks later with a Saturday night home fixture against Louth (4th Feb)

Looking at our fixtures in the League they could have been easier ...Antrim and Sligo away are ones you'd like to have at home and would guarantee nearly four points whereas away they will be tricky games away with such travelling.

Armagh away is also a tough game especially after what happened last year although we have a great record against the Orchard county in recent meetings.

Louth Tipperary and Longford are all winnable games at home but still not easy.Then the last Sunday is the Biffo's in Tullamore.

I'd be hoping for something like this

Laois v Louth win 2 points(should beat Louth at home)
Armagh v Laois loss 0 points(I fear we could be up against it early in Creedon's reign here)
Laois v tipperary win 2 points(difficult but winnable Creedon should know them well)
Sligo v Laois draw 1 point(Will be a crucial game 4 games in must not loose)
Antrim v Laois win 2 points will again be hard but fancy two points here)
Laois v Longford win 2 points(we should beat them at home)
Offaly v Laois Win 2 points (I like Laois playing in tullamore and we will have no fear of Offaly)

11 points from 14 might seem optimistic but thats what i'd be aiming for.

The vital games will be game week 3 and 4 with Tipp at home and Sligo away if we can get 3/4 points here I think we will be right in the shake up for promotion.

Armagh and  Tipperary will be probably in the shake up but Longford have got nice home fixtures and could feature as well .

All to play for I for one can't wait!!!

LAOIS ABÚ

ILikeStrawberryJam

Fair play Unlaoised. Nice bit of enthusiasm for next year ..
Hard to know how it will go .. it should be between 3 teams

Armagh 2/1
Tipp 2/1
Laois 10/3
Biffos 10/1
Longford 14/1

If i was a betting man i'd be keeping my hands in my pocket.
Armagh will be a different animal if Clarke comes back ..
We have a decent squad, depending on who commits etc (meredith a big loss).
Will be 4th or 5th league game before we can judge i'd imagine.
At least we have a decent mgmt setup this year ..

OTF

Quote from: Unlaoised on November 30, 2016, 03:08:09 PM
I know the O'Byrne cup is first and the first game is DIT at home on the 8th of Jan followed by Wicklow away on the 11th(wednesday) and then Meath at home the following Sunday the 25th and it will surely be a case of looking at players in these games...The League starts just three weeks later with a Saturday night home fixture against Louth (4th Feb)

Looking at our fixtures in the League they could have been easier ...Antrim and Sligo away are ones you'd like to have at home and would guarantee nearly four points whereas away they will be tricky games away with such travelling.

Armagh away is also a tough game especially after what happened last year although we have a great record against the Orchard county in recent meetings.

Louth Tipperary and Longford are all winnable games at home but still not easy.Then the last Sunday is the Biffo's in Tullamore.

Armagh v Laois loss 0 points(I fear we could be up against it early in Creedon's reign here)
Laois v tipperary win 2 points(difficult but winnable Creedon should know them well)
Offaly v Laois Win 2 points (I like Laois playing in tullamore and we will have no fear of Offaly)

The vital games will be game week 3 and 4 with Tipp at home and Sligo away if we can get 3/4 points here I think we will be right in the shake up for promotion.

Armagh and  Tipperary will be probably in the shake up but Longford have got nice home fixtures and could feature as well .

Have to get off to a fast start here first 3 games very tough, I think I'd take survival at this point.

Unlaoised

Quote from: OTF on December 02, 2016, 12:11:13 PM

Have to get off to a fast start here first 3 games very tough, I think I'd take survival at this point.

Surely we are better than that I know results haven't proved it over the last few years but we still are better than the Antrims,Louth's Offaly's and Sligo's of this world in my opinion!
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

We should be better than those teams with the quality of players we have and hopefully the new management team will get the best out of them..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

What do people think of our new jersey...

Thewildcat

Quote from: Unlaoised on December 02, 2016, 03:33:48 PM
Quote from: OTF on December 02, 2016, 12:11:13 PM

Surely we are better than that I know results haven't proved it over the last few years but we still are better than the Antrims,Louth's Offaly's and Sligo's of this world in my opinion!

after losing to Clare in 2016 and Antrim in 2015, and drop down to division 3 this year don't see where the form is that laois are any better than louth, sligo, and offaly i'd say they are all at the same level.

steven seagal

QuoteLaois v Louth win 2 points(should beat Louth at home)

How do you have us losing to Armagh but beating Tipperary?

High Fielder

All bets are off until we see who commits and how well the new Management gel with the players. We are short of good backs in the county, and what we have, we certainly can't afford to lose through injury or suspension because we have no strength in depth. Predictions are pure pie in the sky because we're very unpredictable. This is our level just now, and in my opinion, Tipperary, based on what they showed in the Championship, should be clear favourites. They are not a great League side though

Unlaoised

Quote from: steven seagal on December 04, 2016, 10:14:44 PM
QuoteLaois v Louth win 2 points(should beat Louth at home)

How do you have us losing to Armagh but beating Tipperary?

Because its at home and tipp generally are very poor in the league especially away from home.

Armagh are hard to beat up there and will have it in for us over loosing twice last year and not getting the second game at home!

Thats all ...Its only an early prediction of how I think we might fair if we can get things right and get everyone on board...

Only an opinion and a very early one just to get us up talking about the season ahead.....

Not sure about the new jersey i'm a traditionalist and like the Hoop in the middle but it ain't bad.
LAOIS ABÚ

Unlaoised

Anyone here how things are going ....

I believe all the u21's are in training with the seniors must be a big panel so far?
LAOIS ABÚ

Tony

Not sure Unlaoised, haven't heard much apart from people saying it's going very well. Would like to hear who's 100% involved this year but we'll shortly find out I suppose, O Byrne Cup just around the corner. League is really where we'll see how we're going to pan out. I'd like to see a few new faces in the panel - we could do with some cover for the full back line, especially. I hear most of our core experienced players are back + Merideth back in Feb / March.

les Antiques

The panel is been cut a week before the opening league match against so Louth so we should expect to see quite a few fringe players been given the opportunity during the OByrne Cup .

Junior Ex Laoistalk