Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Serious questions need to be asked of this management team!
How many games have the won in 5 years?
The big appointment that had a 2 page spread in the back of the Irish news has failed
Clubs are bringing through brilliant underage players and then being paralysed by defensive crap
A goal from play in 65 minutes football
That Burren team are superb. Some of those lads today didn't seem up for the fight.

ApresMatch

Shocking result! 1-4 is an awful return for a team that possessed some very gifted attackers. I'd say the Burren minor team would have fared no worse.

befair

County football is a different standard, even for a lower rated county like Fermanagh. Players that look like superstars at club minor level are quickly found wanting; obviously the case for the Burren contingent. Some humility would help

Brick Tamlin

I doubt you're in the wrong place for that.

Betsy Gray

Disappointing result for the minor team. We just do not seem to be creating proper inter county standard footballers anymore.

Lotto

What a terrible performance from a team considered by some, don't know who, to be one of the favourites for the All Ireland never mind Ulster. And we have the best coach in Ireland involved with them, the self professed all knowing guru, sure it was going to be easy with the wonderful players they had. If he spent less time mouthing off in the press it would have suited him better. It was like they had never trained or played together and met up just this morning for the match, it was just a shambles from start to finish.

Smurfy123

Lotto they were made favourites for ulster as they won it at under 16 under the guidance of Patrick Cunningham
And all noises coming out of Down was this was the best underage team they have produced in 10 years
That's why it is such a shock that Fermanagh beat them. Could maybe see into it if it was Donegal Derry or Tyrone but not Fermanagh
When are people going to ask the hard questions of the guru? When?
All talk about what other teams should be doing. Mind your own team

Brick Tamlin

What's the hard questions that should be asked. Do tell

Smurfy123

What exactly have you won?
That hard question
Where is the backup to all the hype?

Brick Tamlin

Not that I disagree but what exactly has anyone won recently... Name the successful coaches and the yardstick by which they are successful

Smurfy123

DJ O TOOLE
NEIL COULTER
BERNIE RUANE
MARTIN JOHNSTONE

Off the top of my head all underage
Brick my point is these men spend a lot of time on social media telling people how other teams should do things to win. If you put yourself out back it up
Don't forget the same manager got humiliated by Carryduff in this year's championship.
But all we hear is he is the best coach in ulster.
How??
Where??
Innovative??

6th sam

This has been a nightmare year for everyone, and particularly disjointed and disruptive to all counties at u17 level. Very disappointing for the lads, but these teenagers should not be judged on a one-off match after a 2 hour journey in separate cars, with disruptive uncertain build up and onward path. Should this age-group have proceeded at Intercounty level in the midst of a pandemic in December ?
Interesting that the football from both sides was patchy and mistake ridden. Football at this age should be about development and I'm not sure if a high profile Intercounty competition at u17 helps that development. Dublin have won 1 minor all-ireland during in the past 20 years  , yet it doesn't seem to impede their senior progress.

Brick Tamlin

If you think that the guys you listed are any better or should be coaching our u17s then fair enough. I'd politely disagree.
You're slating the current management team very readily.there are very few alternatives and the cult of coach unfortunately seems to hold serious currency these days. He who shouts loudest and most often will always draw attention.

Whilst it's disappointing the 17 lost today I think its more worrying how little of our schools are making any impression at ulster colleges level Across the board

Smurfy123

I didn't say these guys were any better
Why would you not think DJ OR COULTER would be fit for it?
Multiple winners with Burren and Carryduff
Agree he who shouts loudest
And also would agree the Down schools have been poor

Johnnysboys

Quote from: 6th sam on December 20, 2020, 09:02:48 PM
This has been a nightmare year for everyone, and particularly disjointed and disruptive to all counties at u17 level. Very disappointing for the lads, but these teenagers should not be judged on a one-off match after a 2 hour journey in separate cars, with disruptive uncertain build up and onward path. Should this age-group have proceeded at Intercounty level in the midst of a pandemic in December ?
Interesting that the football from both sides was patchy and mistake ridden. Football at this age should be about development snd I'm not sure if a high profile Intercounty competition for  helps that development. Dublin have won 1 minor allure during in the past 20+ years  , yet it doesn't seem to impede their senior progress

Yes it has been a nightmare but it was also a nightmare for Fermanagh who also had to travel - albeit a shorter distance - to the ground today.. we had people (poacher/Poland) going mad about these young men's mental health when the competition was pulled a few weeks ago - so they got their way and got the game played - to show us that inept effort.. and I don't for one second blame the players - they carry out instruction on the pitch - I blame the instructors..
poacher won a junior all Ireland bout 15 years ago that would be about a category E/F grade at colleges level and not one single thing since.. keeping Ballyholland in division 1 and getting within 10 points of Dublin and all of a sudden he is the man everyone wants - apparently... Poland/Dan are cutting their teeth at coaching so will get a by ball on this one - but we're James usually surrounds himself with good people - he got this one badly wrong.
Benny Coulter/Mark Poland/Ronan McCartan/Liam Doyle - let's inject a bit of youth into our coaching.. I know Ronan is back room on u20 but give him a greater role with U17s and let him at it..