AIQF 2017 Tír Eoghain vs Ard Macha, Sat. August 5th @4pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 17, 2017, 06:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zulu

Quote from: Zulu on July 18, 2017, 08:44:10 PM
Ok, so facts don't matter just how you interpret them. This year 3 Ulster teams coming through the qualifiers shows Ulster is the strongest province but last year 3 Munster teams into the QF is an anomaly? You're also ignoring the fact Ulster have more qualifier entries and luck of the draw can skew the results. So it's not black and white, its interpretation of the simple facts that matter. Ulster has more middle of the road teams because it has more teams. It's no more difficult to win for the Kerrys, Dublins or Tyrones than any other bar, maybe, playing one more round against a team you'd beat 10 times out of 10.

Not sure why some Ulster posters seem to be put out if Ulster is discribed as anything other than a minefield. It's not, at the moment anyway, but has one very good team and a few more decent ones but probably no better than 6 to 8 other non-Ulster teams.

I'll make one edit to my post. I think Monaghan are a very good side though their Down and Carlow performances raise questions about where they are this year. Nevertheless, I think they are on the edges of the top 4 too but don't seem to be playing like that. Would love to see them make a semi final at least.

Il Bomber Destro

Ok, so facts don't matter just how you interpret them. This year 3 Ulster teams coming through the qualifiers shows Ulster is the strongest province but last year 3 Munster teams into the QF is an anomaly? You're also ignoring the fact Ulster have more qualifier entries and luck of the draw can skew the results. So it's not black and white, its interpretation of the simple facts that matter. Ulster has more middle of the road teams because it has more teams. It's no more difficult to win for the Kerrys, Dublins or Tyrones than any other bar, maybe, playing one more round against a team you'd beat 10 times out of 10.

Not sure why some Ulster posters seem to be put out if Ulster is discribed as anything other than a minefield. It's not, at the moment anyway, but has one very good team and a few more decent ones but probably no better than 6 to 8 other non-Ulster teams.

Yes, 3 Munster teams getting to the AI QFs is an anomaly, it never happened before and I'd be doubtful if it will happen again for a long time. I would advocate a draw that ensures teams from the same Province cannot draw each other in the qualifiers until round 4 at the earliest. It's unfair on Ulster teams who have to pit themselves in the toughest province by a mile to then have to face off each other in early qualifying rounds.

In 2014, Tyrone were knocked out by Monaghan and then had to face an Armagh side in the qualifers and got knocked out. Armagh went on to be nipped by a point by Donegal who then beat Dublin in the semi-final.

Roscommon were in the last 12 of the AI this year by simply beating Leitrim, not exactly an equitable system. Year on year, Kerry and Cork get cushy routes into the last 12.

I'm against the Super 8 but I suppose one silver lining is it will address imbalances like this.

Zulu

Don't agree it was an anomaly. Clare were unlucky to meet Mayo this year and Tipp, short their best forward, lost to Armagh by a goal. I think both those teams will make QF's again before long. A SF might be beyond both again but QF's are very much within their range and if Tipp get a few hurlers back and O'Riordan from Oz they will make them regularly enough.

I'd get rid of the provincials in the morning, for many reasons, but the inequity of the provinces would be one of the main ones. It's daft having four groups of unequal numbers feeding into the All Ireland series.

sensethetone

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 18, 2017, 10:17:20 PM
We're on first, with the Dubs to follow.

Who ever Tyrone play it will be just like the Mayo game last year, pockets of supporters here and there, loads of empty seats and nearly no atmosphere.

seafoid

Quote from: Zulu on July 19, 2017, 12:15:02 AM
Don't agree it was an anomaly. Clare were unlucky to meet Mayo this year and Tipp, short their best forward, lost to Armagh by a goal. I think both those teams will make QF's again before long. A SF might be beyond both again but QF's are very much within their range and if Tipp get a few hurlers back and O'Riordan from Oz they will make them regularly enough.

I'd get rid of the provincials in the morning, for many reasons, but the inequity of the provinces would be one of the main ones. It's daft having four groups of unequal numbers feeding into the All Ireland series.
It is daft but Dublin and Kerry win most of the all Irelands and have done so going back a century and it suits them. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Il Bomber Destro

Tipp's best forward played the full 70 minutes against Armagh.

westbound

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 18, 2017, 11:40:03 PM

Yes, 3 Munster teams getting to the AI QFs is an anomaly, it never happened before and I'd be doubtful if it will happen again for a long time. I would advocate a draw that ensures teams from the same Province cannot draw each other in the qualifiers until round 4 at the earliest. It's unfair on Ulster teams who have to pit themselves in the toughest province by a mile to then have to face off each other in early qualifying rounds.

In 2014, Tyrone were knocked out by Monaghan and then had to face an Armagh side in the qualifers and got knocked out. Armagh went on to be nipped by a point by Donegal who then beat Dublin in the semi-final.

Roscommon were in the last 12 of the AI this year by simply beating Leitrim, not exactly an equitable system. Year on year, Kerry and Cork get cushy routes into the last 12.

I'm against the Super 8 but I suppose one silver lining is it will address imbalances like this.

How will it address the imbalances you highlight of teams getting to q-finals?

The super 8's will replace the quarter finals, so will have no impact on the provincials or qualifiers.

Fuzzman

This is the weirdest Tyrone thread I've ever seen with hardly any chat about Tyrone at all.
Just wondering are people aware how much Tyrone have cleaned up their act on the pitch.
Yes Morgan's shouting at the Down player was not in good taste but I don't think there has been much cynical or dirty play in their 3 games in Ulster.

In fact it took 28mins for the first free to be scored in the Ulster final last Sunday.
Our discipline in the tackle has been a huge factor in winning games and it will be interesting to see does this continue when the matches get tougher. Should we get to meet the Dubs, it would be great if we don't give Dean Rock handy frees and so they would have to fight a lot harder to get scores.

Do the Monaghan fans feel a bit like the Galway fans I wonder in that should they win their next match they will either play Dublin or Tyrone? Galway should they beat Donegal will probably face Kerry next as they can't meet Mayo again.
For me Monaghan still could shock a few people as they have a good team with talented forwards.
Many would consider them 5th in the rankings and well able to beat Mayo or Tyrone on their day.

Regarding the system next year. Have they decided yet which provinces will be grouped together. I mean this year Leinster play Ulster so does that mean next year Leinster will be in the same group as Connacht as last year it was Leinster v Munster?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 19, 2017, 08:47:06 AM

You'd accept he was severely hindered though?

Schkite

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 19, 2017, 10:42:55 AM

Do the Monaghan fans feel a bit like the Galway fans I wonder in that should they win their next match they will either play Dublin or Tyrone? Galway should they beat Donegal will probably face Kerry next as they can't meet Mayo again.
For me Monaghan still could shock a few people as they have a good team with talented forwards.
Many would consider them 5th in the rankings and well able to beat Mayo or Tyrone on their day.

Of course we'll want to win our next game, losing to Down for a second time in a season in the last 12 would be an awful way to go out. If we can't get ourselves up for this game then we deserve all the criticism that comes our way.

Obviously if we did win we would be underdogs in the quarter final either way, but that's the stage we wanted to get back to. I'd prefer we met Tyrone but I don't think we'll get a choice with Kildare probably beating Armagh. Another game for us first anyway before we worry about any of that.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on July 19, 2017, 11:04:28 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 19, 2017, 08:47:06 AM

You'd accept he was severely hindered though?

You'll accept he played the full 70 minutes and scored Tipp's only goal with a great individual effort?