Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downjim

Did Monaghan and Down get money for this trial a few years ago or was a dreaming that. I am genuinely worried about this and we are peddling with our future players here. I feel sorry for the young lads who will have to post two years at their youngest age. Where is the development there? I would imagine that clubs are in the process of reviewing 2019 and getting into position to get ready for 2020, but clubs are in limbo here or maybe I am wrong? Does anyone know wtf is going on?
How many clubs are concerned of the changeover?

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: thewobbler on November 08, 2019, 10:08:35 AM
Quote from: downjim on November 08, 2019, 10:00:01 AM
Reading horror stories of the u19 league in Monaghan and how it fell on its arse last year due to constraints with senior team. I think we have been sold a dud here and it seems clubs in Ulster are voting against it now. There was 8 teams in the ACMFL in 2019 and I would say at a push that only Burren, Mayobridge, Clonduff, Carryduff and Kilcoo would definitely be able to partake in an u19 league in 2020. I hope clubs can push something true at convention to leave age grades as it is, there is no paper or framework out on this yet so I think it should be stopped. 2 years to get ready for this changeover and nothing it print yet! And we complain about brexit! Does anyone involved in club committees or county board level know what's going on with this?

Devil's advocate.

Why do we need an under 19 league?

Why can't 18 year olds play B football until they're ready for the step up, instead of being pulled in two directions?

That would be my thinking on it and I know the hurling clubs in the county are thinking like that. There's a lot of demands at that age, sporting wise and socially too.

Put some effort back into making reserve football a step towards playing senior. Personally I've never thought that playing against your own age group really prepares you for playing adult football but different people/clubs will look differently at that.

johnnycool

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on November 08, 2019, 10:28:36 AM
Reading horror stories of the u19 league in Monaghan and how it fell on its arse last year due to constraints with senior team. I think we have been sold a dud here and it seems clubs in Ulster are voting against it now. There was 8 teams in the ACMFL in 2019 and I would say at a push that only Burren, Mayobridge, Clonduff, Carryduff and Kilcoo would definitely be able to partake in an u19 league in 2020. I hope clubs can push something true at convention to leave age grades as it is, there is no paper or framework out on this yet so I think it should be stopped. 2 years to get ready for this changeover and nothing it print yet! And we complain about brexit! Does anyone involved in club committees or county board level know what's going on with this?

Devil's advocate.

Why can't 18 year olds play B football until they're ready for the step up, instead of being pulled in two directions?

That would be my thinking on it and I know the hurling clubs in the county are thinking like that. There's a lot of demands at that age, sporting wise and socially too.

Put some effort back into making reserve football a step towards playing senior. Personally I've never thought that playing against your own age group really prepares you for playing adult football but different people/clubs will look differently at that.

any lad in our club who turns 18, ie is no longer U17 will automatically play adult hurling, that's just the way it is as we've poor numbers for a year or two.
No big change in that regard for us, but there's no denying that there's a drop off on lads coming out of the juvenile ranks not playing adult hurling and this new format expedites that by a year...

downjim

A simple change would have been moving minor football to a Saturday  evening and reserves to a Tuesday evening. Seniors train Monday and Wednesday so it won't affect numbers at training. Saturday evening for minor football would also mean there would be no need for an exam break. I have yet to hear of a good argument for the changeover and I am fearful we are going to be the only one of the few screwed over by this. Our participation in reserve league football needs to be looked at. 20 odd years ago when I was playing football there was over ten clubs in Down with 3 teams, now clubs are struggling to field a seconds team. We are doing something wrong and I think this will make it worse.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: johnnycool on November 08, 2019, 10:39:09 AM
Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on November 08, 2019, 10:28:36 AM

Devil's advocate.

any lad in our club who turns 18, ie is no longer U17 will automatically play adult hurling, that's just the way it is as we've poor numbers for a year or two.
No big change in that regard for us, but there's no denying that there's a drop off on lads coming out of the juvenile ranks not playing adult hurling and this new format expedites that by a year...

I know what you're saying, there's a danger that after finishing at u17 there'll be a perceived jump into the senior squad, whereas at the minute they're at least crossing over between minors/reserves/seniors at a point, be it only for that last season.

On the other end of the spectrum, I actually think the U7, U9 and U11 groupings might work better for development because the ages grouped together at that point works well running along side the primary school classes.

thewobbler

Downjim the current football nights (can't speak for hurling) make a lot of sense. More sense than your proposal.

Move minors (u18s) to a Saturday and you run into conflicts everywhere:

- senior football Friday night, so back-to-back games for better players, and even for weaker players at weaker clubs.

- schools football matches and training on Saturdays.

- Down juvenile training and matches on Saturdays.

- afaik hurling matches on Saturdays and Sundays.

Plus part time work.

I don't think you've really thought this big idea through tbh.

——

Re dropout rates. I don't really see how u18 to u17 will make any difference. Better players and interested players will be training with their senior team in their u18 year regardless. It now becomes a formalised thing surely in most clubs; step up and train with the adults once you leave u17. Those that don't have the interest at 17 are not often going to get the taste as a result of one more juvenile season.

If anything it could see a larger group of players getting exposure to the positives of adult training while still living with their mammies and daddies, and by the time they head to uni, it should be a part of their routine.

Obviously these lads need football matches. But with reserves now positioned on a Saturday evening, those who aren't getting football elsewhere have a pretty plum slot in the week.

Clubs should really throw their weight into strong seconds football rather than u19s imho.

It's not that long ago that reserve football was littered with 15 and 16 year olds. Asking a 17 year old to "man up" to this level is hardly a daunting proposition.

KeyboardWarrior645

Any word on the manager merry go round for next season?

downjim

Bridge men heading to Stone and Saval, Clarke and poacher to Ford, I also heard that Moran is leaving Kilcoo when campaign is over? Mickey Mcveigh to take the town. Liatriom to take a kilcoo man to get them back up

Lotto

Quote from: downjim on November 09, 2019, 05:21:19 PM
Bridge men heading to Stone and Saval, Clarke and poacher to Ford, I also heard that Moran is leaving Kilcoo when campaign is over? Mickey Mcveigh to take the town. Liatriom to take a kilcoo man to get them back up

Paddy Hardy isn't a Kilcoo man. Gearoid Adams going to Burren.

Ambrose

clownjim must be stuck in traffic on the journey home from Dromore. Big win for Burren today in the final of the Paul McGirr tournament.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

downjim

Tradition and Ulster's.. the Burren way

yewtree

What a day, not long in but must say if Carlsberg did days this would be a top one.We destroy the blue Mancs and Burren get another Ulster title , not by 1 point or 2 but winning an Ulster Final by about 20.Another Paul McGirr not so long after Conor Cox lead Burren few years back.A shame there is no All Ireland series for these young lads.This is a testament to work done at Under 6 ,Carrick School ,u14 and now the management this year.Ar aghaigh le cheile.

Smurfy123

Yew tree I see that team that won all before them were beaten out the gate by Carryduff last week and Liatrom yesterday in the B competition. Nothing new with Burren cleaning up at underage then a massive drop out as they have that many numbers at senior level lots of lads don't get playing. That's not a criticism by the way it's facts

Ambrose

Quote from: Godsown on November 13, 2019, 09:56:04 PM
Quote from: Sandstorm on November 13, 2019, 07:28:25 PM
See S Poacher writing in the Irish News today. What a man, did Down miss a trick in not appointing him as senior manager? He certainly can talk the talk bit has not yet demonstrated he can walk the walk. Hear he is going to Bryansford next year, any truth in this?

Irish News, Twitter, Tele,  Newry Reporter, Gaelic Life and all his fan club have been hyping the profile boss. Publicity, publicity publicity. Results zero!

Maybe some of you armchair coaches and pundits might post up some of your own achievements and results. Or publish them in one of your columns in the local media.

No such thing as bad publicity.

Ambrose

Quote from: snoopdog on November 13, 2019, 10:29:30 PM
Did i read Wee James has him in as coach for the Down Minors?

He is indeed.

Should liven things up at least.