Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Which would be kind of ironic given the reason it's come to this is the questioning of someone else's integrity!

tbrick18

Quote from: BennyCake on September 17, 2019, 03:08:51 PM
Quote from: topofthesoil on September 17, 2019, 02:35:42 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 17, 2019, 01:28:09 PM
Quote from: topofthesoil on September 17, 2019, 01:11:55 PM
Its fair to say Brolly was missed over the weekend then. Sad times ahead by the looks of things #JusticeForBrolly

He certainly wasn't missed in our house! Any time Brolly was there, the sound would have more often than not, been muted.

That tells me more about you than it does about Joe Brolly.
You are the weakest link. Goodbye

Judging by comments on here, the majority are glad to see the back of Brolly, as he's made TSG unbearable in recent years. So it's not just me.

That's a little bit anecdotal!
I for one think the Brolly, Spillane, O'Rourke mix was the perfect mix and it's just nowhere near the same without Brolly.
I watched the half time analysis of the replay, bored me to tears. When the final was over I switched off. On another day, I'd have been sitting watching the after match discussion also as I wanted to hear what they had to say and it was always entertaining.
I'm only speaking for myself, but whilst TSG might have been unbearable for you with Brolly, its becoming quickly unbearable for me without him.

tbrick18

Quote from: Will it ever end on September 18, 2019, 08:35:01 AM
Quote from: Taylor on September 18, 2019, 07:26:46 AM
Would Sky consider taking him onboard if he toned it down a bit?

I would have thought given his stance on Sky coverage, going to work for them would be a major slight on his integrity.

I reckon there is zero chance of this. Sky wouldn't want him after what he has said about it in the past. And Brolly wouldn't take it if offered.

I have to admit, I've never seen the Sky coverage as I don't have Sky, but on principal I just don't agree with at all.
Since the Sky agreement, a large number of people in the country have much less access to viewing the national sports than they had before the agreement.

Cavan19

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 18, 2019, 10:00:20 AM

I would have thought given his stance on Sky coverage, going to work for them would be a major slight on his integrity.

Since the Sky agreement, a large number of people in the country have much less access to viewing the national sports than they had before the agreement.

Is that actually true though, i have see that countered elsewhere but cannot remember where.

tbrick18

Quote from: Cavan19 on September 18, 2019, 11:07:55 AM

Is that actually true though, i have see that countered elsewhere but cannot remember where.

Well I guess it is anecdotal too, but I'm basing it on my peer group and extended family plus numerous articles read online.
There have been a few articles knocking about recently on sky viewing figures for some of the super 8s (I think), and the numbers were extremely low. If you take that low number of viewers for the super 8s who got to watch on Sky and offset that against the number of viewers who couldn't watch on terrestrial tv as a result of Sky coverage, I think there is a shortfall.

sid waddell

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 18, 2019, 09:56:02 AM
Its fair to say Brolly was missed over the weekend then. Sad times ahead by the looks of things #JusticeForBrolly

He certainly wasn't missed in our house! Any time Brolly was there, the sound would have more often than not, been muted.

Judging by comments on here, the majority are glad to see the back of Brolly, as he's made TSG unbearable in recent years. So it's not just me.

I for one think the Brolly, Spillane, O'Rourke mix was the perfect mix and it's just nowhere near the same without Brolly.
I watched the half time analysis of the replay, bored me to tears. When the final was over I switched off. On another day, I'd have been sitting watching the after match discussion also as I wanted to hear what they had to say and it was always entertaining.
I'm only speaking for myself, but whilst TSG might have been unbearable for you with Brolly, its becoming quickly unbearable for me without him.
TV sports analysis is ultimately supposed to be light entertainment

Of course it can and should inform the viewer but it is supposed to be entertaining

That's because Gaelic football and sport in general doesn't matter a jot in the grand scheme of things

Things have been turned upside down

Politics, which does matter, is now being viewed as light entertainment, which is a terrible development, because it matters far too much - it can destroy people's lives when it is viewed as light entertainment - idiotic policies and idiotic people triumph in that environment

Meanwhile some people have got notions about TV sport analysis and tried to drain any entertainment out of it

It should be there to inform, entertain and sometimes provoke

Of course Brolly talks a lot of shit, but there's often a good point there underneath it all

Dunphy talked a lot of shit but the RTE soccer panel is turgid without him

That segment with Derek McGrath and Donal Og some weeks back got people talking and it had good points underpinning it

That's exactly what you want

Hound

Quote from: Cavan19 on September 18, 2019, 11:07:55 AM

Well, the argument is there are as many games on free to air as ever there was and that game on Sky are therefore a bonus. But don't have the facts and figures to know if that's true.

One great bonus of Sky's coverage is not having to listen to Ger Canning doing AI semis and finals. 

Also much prefer it to TG4, as I understand what the commentators are saying. Although on TG4, at least some of the interviews and all of the adverts are in English.

If there's a way of synching radio commentary with TV coverage, I'd love to hear it. Anytime I try it, there's always a delay, which is even worse than having to listen to Ger.

pbat

Have RTE actually confirmed he is dropped going forward? All I seen was he was not to appear last Saturday.

BennyCake

RTE have an Irish commentary option for matches. I'd like to see a no commentary option.

BennyCake

Each to their own. But I'm glad to see the back of him.

Maybe a poll would give a more clearer view on what people think of Brolly getting the chop.

imtommygunn

Quote from: BennyCake on September 18, 2019, 02:08:11 PM

Each to their own. But I'm glad to see the back of him.

Maybe a poll would give a more clearer view on what people think of Brolly getting the chop.

Agreed. Opinions are fine but he questioned Gough's integrity and he did so with Cavanagh and McGeeney too. Whether that be right or wrong is neither here nor there. If he conducts himself like that he shouldn't be allowed a platform to do this. 

Cunny Funt

I see RTE had a big increase in their viewer figures for the All Ireland final replay, i'd wonder how much of that increase was to do with no Joe Brolly on the viewing public screens?

Silver hill

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 18, 2019, 02:58:17 PM
I see RTE had a big increase in their viewer figures for the All Ireland final replay, i'd wonder how much of that increase was to do with no Joe Brolly on the viewing public screens?
Not a jot would it make.
People were watching it because it was the all Ireland final replay. Nothing to do with presenters or analysis.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Silver hill on September 18, 2019, 06:01:16 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 18, 2019, 02:58:17 PM
Not a jot would it make.
People were watching it because it was the all Ireland final replay. Nothing to do with presenters or analysis.

If you say so Joe.
That was never a square ball!!