Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

The best system would be a straight 32 team knockout that gives smaller counties a chance via luck of the draw.Alternatively  you can have a 2nd chance system so teams are guaranteed two games the 16 losers play each other the losers are eliminated.The winners from 1 play each other then the losers from the winners group then play the winners from the round 1 losers the 8 winners from that join the 8 winners in the last 16 then we play on from there.

imtommygunn

Angelo a fact seems to mean something different to you than it does to anyone else ;D

Bs Munster will likely be a procession next year too. As will Leinster. Ulster likely between tyrone Donegal barring a big surprise and if mayo / Galway are prepped they'll win Connacht but it always looks like they prep for later in the year.

There is more than one issue with football. Super 8s are an issue. Professionalism levels. Drop off rates in most counties. How to combat the defensive dirge we are seeing too much these days. Mercenary coaches. The list goes on.

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 17, 2020, 03:55:30 PM
Angelo a fact seems to mean something different to you than it does to anyone else ;D

Bs Munster will likely be a procession next year too. As will Leinster. Ulster likely between tyrone Donegal barring a big surprise and if mayo / Galway are prepped they'll win Connacht but it always looks like they prep for later in the year.

There is more than one issue with football. Super 8s are an issue. Professionalism levels. Drop off rates in most counties. How to combat the defensive dirge we are seeing too much these days. Mercenary coaches. The list goes on.

Nope, Munster has always been a procession (the facts verify that), there is nothing new there. Kerry were parachuted into the last 8 or 4 before that most years.

Leinster has turned into a joke because Dublin just batter anyone that crosses their path.

Connacht is competitive as it generally has been, Sligo have fallen back badly in the past decade but other than that it's generally competitive.

Ulster is still competitive. The likes of Derry, Armagh and Down are improving incrementally from a few years back.

The biggest issue is competitiveness, I can see why it's hard to justify the commitment unless you play for the top 4/5 counties. I'd imagine most Div 2 counties and some Div 3 counties will feel they could topple a Mayo/Kerry/Tyrone/Donegal on a given day but know all that awaits for them against Dublin is a merciless hammering. That's the biggest issue facing players today.

A lot of young lads will be working jobs and spending 10-15 hours of their lives in a gym on top of that, purely out of their own interests. Middle aged men will be working demanding jobs and then spending 10 hours at the weekend cycling around roads. Other chaps will want to do different things with their lives.

The main issue is players can't aim big when there is such a imbalance in the competing teams and that erodes the output for their input.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Blowitupref

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 17, 2020, 03:55:30 PM

Just a tad disrespectful to Roscommon who have won 2 of the last 3 Connacht titles.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

I don't mean to be but when it comes to the business end only Galway and mayo are ever there.though you're right probably a bit harsh.

Down, Derry and Armagh may be improving Angelo but Tyrone are miles ahead of them and so are Donegal. Monaghan can challenge Tyrone but seem more likely to be caught by other teams.

Basically Leinster is Dublin, Ulster is Tyrone, Donegal or monaghan(who I suspect will drop off), Connacht is Galway/ mayo / Roscommon and Munster is Kerry with an outside chance cork will come good.  The ai is Dublin. (Of those teams Monaghan, Roscommon and cork tend to drop off later in the year and really Donegal do a bit too. Add to that jury still out on Galway.)

That leaves one winner and really about three competitive teams.

To be honest it has become like the hurling - when you are off the pace you are really off the pace and

Blowitupref

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 17, 2020, 05:30:16 PM
I don’t mean to be but when it comes to the business end only Galway and mayo are ever there.though you’re right probably a bit harsh.

Down, Derry and Armagh may be improving Angelo but Tyrone are miles ahead of them and so are Donegal. Monaghan can challenge Tyrone but seem more likely to be caught by other teams.

Basically Leinster is Dublin, Ulster is Tyrone, Donegal or monaghan(who I suspect will drop off), Connacht is Galway/ mayo / Roscommon and Munster is Kerry with an outside chance cork will come good.  The ai is Dublin. (Of those teams Monaghan, Roscommon and cork tend to drop off later in the year and really Donegal do a bit too. Add to that jury still out on Galway.)

To be honest it has become like the hurling - when you are off the pace you are really off the pace and

Galway reached their first AI semi final in 2018 for 17 years, "always prepped for later in year"?

Last two summers Mayo didn't look that well prepped for the latter stages of the championship.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 17, 2020, 05:30:16 PM
I don't mean to be but when it comes to the business end only Galway and mayo are ever there.though you're right probably a bit harsh.

Not really. Fermanagh, Cavan and Down have contested three of the last Ulster finals. The gap is closing between the likes of Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal and the rest. Unfortunately the gap is not closing with Dublin and the rest.

Take Dublin out and it would be a competitive championship.

imtommygunn

That's just the way the draw has worked out though. Cavan Fermanagh and down are not the same level as Tyrone or Donegal and nine times out of ten Monaghan would beat them but just appear to be a team that can be caught more than the other two.

It would be competitive between three or four yes I agree. You wouldn't have any more than that capable of winning though.

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 17, 2020, 06:07:31 PM
That's just the way the draw has worked out though. Cavan Fermanagh and down are not the same level as Tyrone or Donegal and nine times out of ten Monaghan would beat them but just appear to be a team that can be caught more than the other two.

It would be competitive between three or four yes I agree. You wouldn't have any more than that capable of winning though.

They are still capable of beating Tyrone or Donegal on a given day or putting it up to them. That's competitive for me.

Monaghan have been beaten by Down, Fermanagh and Cavan in the last three seasons.

bannside

Aye always a procession for Kerry in Munster, as in like, always.

Except the five times in the last 18 years its been won by Cork, and over 30 times in total. No procession in those years and it wont be next year either!
[/quote]

No county has won provincial titles more than Kerry have won Munster. They have 81 provincial titles, that's more than the combined amount of the other 5 Munster counties who stand at 50 as a cumulative total.

Clare in 1992 are the only county to have a Munster football championship outside of Kerry and Cork in the past 85 years.

If the Munster football has not been a procession historically then you must not know the meaning of the word.
[/quote]

Statistically you're a fair bit out Angelo.

Antrim have won more provincial championships than anyone....57 hurling against a combined total of 13 amongst the other Ulster Counties. 57 out of 70 runnings of the competition is a higher stat (80%) than Kerry's 81 out of 131 runnings (61%). But hi thats ONLY hurling, isnt it!

On this basis which Ulster county has the most senior provincial honours of all in combined codes.....lol...lol.

Angelo

Quote from: bannside on January 17, 2020, 06:17:58 PM
Aye always a procession for Kerry in Munster, as in like, always.

Except the five times in the last 18 years its been won by Cork, and over 30 times in total. No procession in those years and it wont be next year either!

No county has won provincial titles more than Kerry have won Munster. They have 81 provincial titles, that's more than the combined amount of the other 5 Munster counties who stand at 50 as a cumulative total.

Clare in 1992 are the only county to have a Munster football championship outside of Kerry and Cork in the past 85 years.

If the Munster football has not been a procession historically then you must not know the meaning of the word.
[/quote]

Statistically you're a fair bit out Angelo.

Antrim have won more provincial championships than anyone....57 hurling against a combined total of 13 amongst the other Ulster Counties. 57 out of 70 runnings of the competition is a higher stat (80%) than Kerry's 81 out of 131 runnings (61%). But hi thats ONLY hurling, isnt it!

On this basis which Ulster county has the most senior provincial honours of all in combined codes.....lol...lol.
[/quote]

I'm talking about football and you're talking about hurling. Ulster hurling was such a procession for Antrim that they scrapped it and bundled Antrim into a different province.

You're only serving to further my point.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Angelo on January 17, 2020, 06:14:34 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 17, 2020, 06:07:31 PM

They are still capable of beating Tyrone or Donegal on a given day or putting it up to them. That's competitive for me.

Monaghan have been beaten by Down, Fermanagh and Cavan in the last three seasons.

They're not capable of beating Tyrone or Donegal. When was the last time Tyrone were put out of Ulster by a team that wasn't Donegal or Monaghan? I am not one hundred percent in the answer but suspect you would go back years and the day Derry beat them was an anomaly.

Nine times out of ten Monaghan beat those teams.

bannside

Yes I can accept that the flow of the conversation was based on football stats, but in the interest of your statement about which county has the highest percentage of provincial  dominance being specifically accurate you were wrong. It's ok though, your main point still remains valid.

trueblue1234

Joe will be really p!ssed off that the thread has moved away from him. Could we all just refocus.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Main Street

I was brought to a state beyond tears of deep sadness reading about Joe's account of experiencing deep hurt by RTE's decision to axe him.
Although Joe did have some happy memories with RTE  "But I loved the public conversation, don't get me wrong"
Though Joe can rest assured on that ,  I'm sure there's not one member of the public who doubted that Joe loved the limelight of the public conversation.

"I was surprised by how enthusiastic I was when I got the call from eir. I didn't expect to get a call from anybody. And when I got the call, I could feel instinctively that I'd like to do it."
You see, it just goes to show that the call will come.  If you have the  phone  - the call will come.   regardless if you check your phone every 5 seconds over a one month period just  to make sure it's working,  the call will come.
It's said that Joe was in a restaurant when he took the call from Eir, all of a sudden he went all strange, fellow patrons were even reminded of Meg Ryan as he  kept repeating --  Yes Yess Yesss.