FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by laoislad, April 01, 2022, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

The best one was Dixon saying the ref didn't want to give them a corner when Courtois handled the ball and it went out.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 13, 2022, 05:00:59 AM
if they played in 5 of the tournaments - how did they only qualify once?  :-\

I was concentrating more on the world cups , so  in 1966 they qualified as hosts and in 1970 as holders . 

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 13, 2022, 09:57:28 AM
The best one was Dixon saying the ref didn't want to give them a corner when Courtois handled the ball and it went out.

FĂșckin hell, things were really stacked against England when they allowed France to play Courtois in goals for them.

Armamike

Quote from: Main Street on December 13, 2022, 09:10:10 AM
Some are still fixated on England?? England are beaten, gone home  after having achieved a bit part in the history of WC2022.

I heard some reported comments that the players want to go on and win the cup for Messi. That's sentimental nonsense, rather it's about time that Messi and the other players win it for Argentina. That's honor enough. Messi has underperformed in previous WC tournaments.

Other sentimental tosh doing the rounds is that Messi deserves a World Cup medal.  Does he fcuk - deserve's got nothing to do with it. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Mourne Red

Some are still fixated on England?? England are beaten, gone home  after having achieved a bit part in the history of WC2022.

I heard some reported comments that the players want to go on and win the cup for Messi. That's sentimental nonsense, rather it's about time that Messi and the other players win it for Argentina. That's honor enough. Messi has underperformed in previous WC tournaments.

He won the golden Ball in 2014 hardly underperforming now

Mike Tyson

Quote from: Mourne Red on December 13, 2022, 01:19:54 PM

He wasn't even Argentina's best player that competition. Di Maria was. It was given to Messi because he is Messi.

Armagh18

Quote from: Mike Tyson on December 13, 2022, 03:26:28 PM

He wasn't even Argentina's best player that competition. Di Maria was. It was given to Messi because he is Messi.
Yep. Been good this year though

gawa316

Agreed...he was no where near his Barca form...he's been much better this tournament

Quote from: gawa316 on December 13, 2022, 04:11:48 PM

Agreed...he was no where near his Barca form...he's been much better this tournament

This is his best wc showing, I'd have him down as the player of the tournament thus far

Mike Tyson

Quote from: 03,05,08 on December 13, 2022, 04:13:46 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on December 13, 2022, 04:11:48 PM

This is his best wc showing, I'd have him down as the player of the tournament thus far

Yea, can't think of anyone really who has had as much influence.

gawa316

Maybe you could argue Mbappe or Modric but their countries will have to win the World Cup

Mourne Red

Messi scored 4 and assisted 1 in 2014.. Di Maria only scored one and was injured last 2 games.

POTT for me this World Cup has been Messi, the Croatia goalkeeper or Arambat for Morocco.

Armagh18

Quote from: gawa316 on December 13, 2022, 05:09:50 PM
Maybe you could argue Mbappe or Modric but their countries will have to win the World Cup
Yeah Bruno up there as well up until Portugal were beat.

Kidder81

Quote from: Mourne Red on December 13, 2022, 05:31:36 PM
Messi scored 4 and assisted 1 in 2014.. Di Maria only scored one and was injured last 2 games.

POTT for me this World Cup has been Messi, the Croatia goalkeeper or Arambat for Morocco.

Assists are a meaningless stat when judging performance

thewobbler

Quote from: Kidder81 on December 13, 2022, 05:39:18 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on December 13, 2022, 05:31:36 PM

Assists are a meaningless stat when judging performance

They really, really aren't. The PL all time assists chart is a who's who of football creativity. This is not a coincidence.